Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 7:18:34 PM EDT
Looking for commander or officer 1911 for carry, I don't want to spend more than 700-800.  Looked at RIA officer for $550 at lgs. Anyone have any experience with these models. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The people who own RIA seem to like them..I have 2 friends who have them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It seemed pretty nice for the price. I picked up kimbers and rugers that felt more like a bucket of bolts. The problem im having is every commander I find has a aluminum frame. I can't find any colts anywhere, and springfield don't have true commander anymore
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new Commander this past weekend (actually 2, a 45 and a 9mm)  Both LW Colts with Alum frame.

The last all steel Commander I had was to HEAVY fully loaded for daily carry.
Makes a nice bedside/table gun but was to heavy for what I want to carry around all day everyday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there are some other Philippine 1911's (Armscor?) that are steel framed in the Commander size.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I might to to try to carry my government 1911 iwb and see. I worry about frames cracking after so many rounds, I have hear of people complaining about that with kimbers
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think there are some other Philippine 1911's (Armscor?) that are steel framed in the Commander size.
View Quote

Mine was made by Shooters Arms and ran great, nice tight fit. Only got rid of it because I went all 9m. Have a Rock Island and it is great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I might to to try to carry my government 1911 iwb and see. I worry about frames cracking after so many rounds, I have hear of people complaining about that with kimbers
View Quote

Yeah..im sure they have all had their problems from time/time but Colt has been making Anodized Aluminum frames on LW Commanders for 70 years.(1950's)..
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
No way in hell would I trust a RIA for carry after all the issues I’ve seen with them. They’re range toys for people who don’t want to spend the $$ for a decent entry level 1911.

In a normal market you could probably find a decent used gun at the top end of your budget, but not today.

If you NEED a carry gun now and that is your budget then I’d be looking at the polymer guns. If you have other guns to carry and just want one than I’d just wait until the market settles down. By then you may also have a larger budget and may be able to get into a bit nicer gun too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Have a stock RIA and it runs fine.  Also have a Ruger Commander that has never given me any problems.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an officer model, 5 inch .45, and a 5 inch 9mm Rock Island 1911.  They have all been great guns.  The officer model definitely needs to have recoil spring changes.  Mine started life as a GI model but the front sight fell off(happens from what I understand with old style sights), so it now has a set of Warren Tactical sights put on by a machinist friend of mine.  

" />
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone still make an officer's model?

I had a RIA commander and really wanted to love it.  The gun would consistently eject the empties into my face.  I took it to a local smith and he made adjustments and smoothed the trigger.  After that it would eject the empties into my face less.  

The local smith, a 1911 expert BTW, had it for three attempts with only a little improvement.  I finally called RIA and they sent a label.  Great customer service; no issues with their commitment to fixing my gun.

RIA had it three times, each time saying they'd done this or that, and it was fixed.  Still getting brass in the face.  Finally sold it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad I didn't buy it on impulse I think ill just wait and save for a better quality commander. Scheels here has a pro carry 2 for 850 I'm just not hot for kimbers and aluminum frames.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Although I have heard RIA is pretty squared away, and can't say anything negative personally about the company,

But nothing inspires confidence about a budget or entry level 1911 for carry

Personally I would go no lower than 1100-1300 - probably look at the Dan Wesson line

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My one and only RIA has been an awesome shooter. I would make it my EDC but have not found the right holster for it yet

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm glad I didn't buy it on impulse I think ill just wait and save for a better quality commander. Scheels here has a pro carry 2 for 850 I'm just not hot for kimbers and aluminum frames.
View Quote

While Kimber is certainly a better gun than a RIA, they still are not the most reliable. Once you get them broken in it worked over sure, but they put out plenty of turds. The Springfield’s are great for the money and you can probably get into a range Officer at the top of your budget.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:21:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking for commander or officer 1911 for carry, I don't want to spend more than 700-800.  Looked at RIA officer for $550 at lgs. Anyone have any experience with these models. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463612/51429-2_jpg-1755580.JPG
View Quote

I have a Citadel Officers' ACP.  I have never had a problem with it but replaced it in about a years time Wereth a Sig C3.   The C3 is a Commander barrel with an alloy Officers' frame.  

Weight was the reason.  I figured of l was going to carry that weight l might as well go light weight frame and longer barrel.  The longer barrel is not a hindrance to concealment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry my full sized Colt iwb a lot.  The key is a stiff belt and quality holster.  I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special ll.  Both my Colt and Sig fit it snugly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Been looking at a Tisas tanker model myself. Basically a GI style commander with 4.25 inch barrel. They run around $400 to $450 on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My one and only RIA has been an awesome shooter. I would make it my EDC but have not found the right holster for it yet

https://i.imgur.com/6EtAiCi.jpg
View Quote

Vertical shoulder holster. I tried everything else and it works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm kinda surprised at the negative feedback on Rock Island pistols, I've had a few and all have been very reliable.
Elsewhere on the web they get very good reviews as well  M1911.org and 1911forum.com for examples
This is one in my carry rotation I've had it for many years now and only changes are
re-profiled extended replacement thumb safety and of course grips:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While Kimber is certainly a better gun than a RIA, they still are not the most reliable. Once you get them broken in it worked over sure, but they put out plenty of turds. The Springfield’s are great for the money and you can probably get into a range Officer at the top of your budget.
View Quote

My Kimber Target II in .38 Super just broke the safety off.  Kimber may look better but they still use MIM parts that can break.  Mine broke at the post and it looked like crumbled metal.  It is getting a Wilson Bullet Proof safety once it arrives.  So far with Rock Island I have broken a front sight on a GI Officers model and broken a ejector on a GI 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Rock Island GI series 1911A1's are assembly line pistols. Plain vanilla no bells no whistles.

Rock Isand's Rock and Tac series are built pistols made to higher spec and tighter clearances.

Fred Craig trained their pistol smiths.

FWIW Armscorp/Rock Island was the first 1911 maker to achieve ISO 9001 certification. They are the world's largest producer of 1911 pistols.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#23]
My son and I both have RIAs in .38 Super, 10mm, .22TCM/9mm and .45ACP. All have been great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I called around and I found springfield Ronin commander  9mm at LGS for 749.99
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I called around and I found springfield Ronin commander  9mm at LGS for 749.99
View Quote

That’s a good deal on a very good (and attractive) pistol. I’d pick up a few Wilson 9mm mags for it, they run great. The SA 9mm mags seem to be about 50/50 if they want to run or not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to get it today called before I drove a hour and it sold major bummer....
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought a kimber lw with 300 rounds of ammo, 3 mags and holster for 800. Was my stepsons and I already shot it and its decent shooter, only 100 rounds down it. I just need new grips.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Descent score, that kimber looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a couple of full-size basic models, they were descent guns for the money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of all the issues Ive seen and heard about with kimbers, chronic frame cracking isnt one of them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice Kimber.  I have a similar one but it is two-tone.  For cheap grips I like the Magpul 1911 grips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Carried today and I really like it. The weight difference is notable. The grips suck. I also hate the full length guide rod system, any recommendations on changing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Carried today and I really like it. The weight difference is notable. The grips suck. I also hate the full length guide rod system, any recommendations on changing it.
View Quote

Dawson tool less is the king dingaling for guide rods.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't tell by the photos but if it has a barrel bushing, consider switching out to original style GI guide rod, spring and plug.

What kind of grip would you want to replace with?  1911 grips run everywhere from GI knock off for 20ish (or less)
to as much as you want to spend (ivory or mammoth ivory).
I prefer wooden grips myself old school skip checkered or original styled GI double diamond.
Micarta (G10 has been very popular example VZ grips)
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went with a GI plug on all my 1911's. The FLGR's I had were all garbage and did absolutely nothing but make disassembly harder.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can't tell by the photos but if it has a barrel bushing, consider switching out to original style GI guide rod, spring and plug.

What kind of grip would you want to replace with?  1911 grips run everywhere from GI knock off for 20ish (or less)
to as much as you want to spend (ivory or mammoth ivory).
I prefer wooden grips myself old school skip checkered or original styled GI double diamond.
Micarta (G10 has been very popular example VZ grips)
View Quote
Its has bushing just full guide rode that goes through the plugs. I like vz op 2s and magpuls tsp grips. Want to keep it all black. Using for a carry tool not show gun
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It seemed pretty nice for the price. I picked up kimbers and rugers that felt more like a bucket of bolts. The problem im having is every commander I find has a aluminum frame. I can't find any colts anywhere, and springfield don't have true commander anymore
View Quote

For a carry pistol the LW frames are the cat's ass and I don't notice much difference in recoil. I have a LW commander in .38 super, Officer size LW Defender .45,  LW Government model .45 and a Stainless Commander .45 and I never carry the stainless Commander anymore as the others are so much more comfortable to carry and shoot every bit as well. They're all Colt's so maybe other brands weigh more or less than mine.  

After a lot of shooting the LW's aren't showing any appreciable wear so I'm not too concerned about wearing one out any time soon.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I carried the kimber IWB all week,as far as size It was not uncomfortable at all. I am surprised by this never thought a full size 5 inch barreled gun would be comfortable to carry. The weight is significantly lighter. I think the major factor is the 1911 is thinner on the slide. What's even comforting is the peace of mind that I have a full size gun I can hit with at a good distance, vs a little micro wiz bang 9mm striker flavor of the year gun. I'll keep them pistols for pocket or deep concealment, but ill be sticking with this setup for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Very nice looking 1911.  Congrats on the new purchase and best of luck with it.

My two cents for what it's worth, be careful with the ammo pictured.  It might gouge the feed ramp and the pistil may function unreliably.  Remember the 1911 was originally designed to run on 230 gr ball round ammo.  For carry ammunition and best reliability, look for a cartridge that is shaped as closed to ball ammo as possible.  I know Winchester white box HPs fit this scenario.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the heads up, I thought of just carrying ball anyway for reliability reasons.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Very nice looking 1911.  Congrats on the new purchase and best of luck with it.

My two cents for what it's worth, be careful with the ammo pictured.  It might gouge the feed ramp and the pistil may function unreliably.  Remember the 1911 was originally designed to run on 230 gr ball round ammo.  For carry ammunition and best reliability, look for a cartridge that is shaped as closed to ball ammo as possible.  I know Winchester white box HPs fit this scenario.
View Quote

Maybe but that hasn't been my experience with a Colt lightweight Defender and LW Government model. I've used HST in both for a long time with no issues.

I did recently switch to 185 grain silvertips after seeing some tests (box 'o truth maybe?) that showed the ST load performing better in the little officer sized pistols. No issues with it either.

I think the problem is caused more by how the magazine follower presents the cartridge more than the bullet design. Here's a better explanation than I can do.

"Feed Ramps: On many of the lightweight 1911 pattern pistols the feed ramp will be the traditional setup in which the frame provides the lower portion of the system. Aluminum is softer than steel.  It will dent and gouge easier and is usually covered with a hard finish called anodizing. This protects the aluminum alloy and should not be removed. Bare aluminum can be damaged fairly easily if bullets with sharp edges are used and particularly so if the magazines used don't angle the bullet upward. If the cartridge "dips" or hits the ramp straight on as it is stripped from the magazine, even an anodized ramp area can eventually get pretty dinged up.

Magazine followers can wreak havoc on an aluminum frame gun's feed system.  If the follower is free to move forward past the front of the magazine tube as the last round is stripped and chambered, it can cause dings in the ramp. Fortunately these are usually below where the bullet initially contacts it but the problem can be avoided altogether.  I suggest using only magazines in which the follower design does not allow it to possibly move out of the magazine body and contact the ramp.  Examples would include some of the old Randall magazines as well as Wilson and Tripp magazines.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's the think to the paragraphs copied above. It's a good article about lightweight 1911's and the author refers to his own Springfield LW GM.

Lightweight 1911 Pattern Pistols by Stephen A. Camp
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad that you had good luck with the HSTs.  I've had some hollow points chew up a feed ramp an a Colt Gold Cup.  As long as it works in your gun reliably then to each their own right?  

Good info above on the magazine followers.  I completely agree and I have replaced all my springs and followers in my non-Wilson mags to Wilson springs and followers.  They run reliably in all my 1911s.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't go cheap on the GI guide rod.  I bought one of the cheap Chinese ones from CDNN and it started deforming where it contacted the frame.  I would go with Ed Brown or Wilson guide rod.  But the Wilson Bullet Proof one is kind of big and funky looking.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know anything about the SDS imports 1911s?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I got one about a month ago and took it out once so far.  It's the only 1911 I have ever owned or fired.
That being said-
It seems well put together and finished.  No problems over 100 round of steel cased Tula.

I will also add that I'm not much of a pistol shooter so I'm not very good at it.  I'm not going to win any awards or anything with the groups I was getting but I normally don't get groups as good as I was getting over those 100 rounds.  I'm optimistic this pistol will be a gateway to improving my pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I would start with:

Springfield Mil-Spec...if you can afford a little more...the Ronin or Range Officer or Loaded series are great.

SA over the years seems to be better and better at 1911s than Kimber or other mid-price range 1911s.

Rock Island feature to money ratio cannot be beat...they are a bit more "crude"...had several with heavy machining marks and such...which is expected...never effected reliability...but as those machining marks wore in...the handgun got looser and looser...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I went to the range today with my kimber. I fired 100 rounds total. 50 blazer 230gr ball and 50 selier & bellot. I used only Willson 47D mags, loaded with 7 rounds and 8 rounds. I had to failure to feed I believe,the gun would not fire, the slide did not fully seat. This happened twice when I had 8 rounds in the mags.

The gun has had a total of 400 rounds through it 3 range sessions. The fist range session had the same issue on 100 rounds. This was when my stepson owned it I chalked it up to a new tight 1911.

After reading above posts about +p, I didn't fire any, has not had any down it. At this point I have concerns about using this for carry.

I bought this because my son was wanting to buy a bow and wanted to help him out. I know kimbers have had a history of issue's before like any gun.

I guess the old saying buy once cry once applies to 1911s . It is a fun gun but I don't know about for EDC.

Any recommendations here or should I trade it in. Part of my reason for purchase I looked for several weeks for 1911s and only found kimbers, rock islands and SDS Turkish crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top