Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2022 6:15:47 PM EDT
I know these things are supposed to be GTG but I just acquired one on a borrow type deal and anyways ,

I can’t get the slide to pull back ,

I don’t wanna use pliers and scratch it , kinda seems like the safety is keeping it from moving ?

I’m gonna try and remove the rear site and see If I can’t get more access to the innards .

Maybe remove the grips as well ??

I looked on line and u tube . I didn’t see much on this issue .

Any body have any info ??
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raymondj441] [#1]
Is the safety on?  Because that will lock it up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
I know these things are supposed to be GTG but I just acquired one on a borrow type deal and anyways ,

I can’t get the slide to pull back ,

I don’t wanna use pliers and scratch it , kinda seems like the safety is keeping it from moving ?

I’m gonna try and remove the rear site and see If I can’t get more access to the innards .

Maybe remove the grips as well ??

I looked on line and u tube . I didn’t see much on this issue .

Any body have any info ??
View Quote

If you are borrowing it then ask the owner, don’t go taking his gun apart unless you’re buying it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the rear sight rail off and the slide should come off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the slide to move but not reliably .

I test fired it and 5 out of 10 shots got a light firing pin on the case . No ignition .

I’m going to take it apart and clean . But doesn’t look dirty .
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
It doesn’t look dirty .
View Quote

It is.
Classic buckmark issue.

Like most 22's they tend to get real dirty inside, foul up and slow down.

My father in law had a challenger with these same symptoms. Looked pretty clean from the outside.... but once I properly took it all down it was all gummed up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#6]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

It is.
Classic buckmark issue.

Like most 22's they tend to get real dirty inside, foul up and slow down.

My father in law had a challenger with these same symptoms. Looked pretty clean from the outside.... but once I properly took it all down it was all gummed up.
View Quote

Old thread, but this is my experience also.  Fail to feed is remedied by cleaning the ramp, bolt face, and mating barrel surfaces on the outside of the chamber, use a pick or toothpick or something to get the edges of recessed areas.  Fail to fire die to light primer strikes is the firing pin needing removal and the groove needing to be cleaned.  Like every 2000-5000 rounds depending on ammo type.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
>>I can’t get the slide to pull back <<

I ran into the same problem with a recently acquired pre 2000 Buckmark in 4". At first I thought it was stuck on something but soon realized it racked just fine when the hammer was in the cocked position. So, it was apparent that the stiff hammer spring coupled with the fact there's really nothing to grab on to was the issue. There was just no way a mortal man was going to get that damned slide back without mechanical assistance. So, I opted to send the slide out to Bill Striplin in Arkansas to have him install his custom slide racker. He has to mill the rear of the slide to install it, but it was my only option. (see attached)  The slide came back in less than 10 days and does the job quite nicely. Fortunately, my post 2000 Buckmarks don't suffer the same malady!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Buckmarks are nice pistols but they require more TLC than Ruger.  They need to be kept clean and decently lubed.  You're not running thousands of rounds through a Buckmark without cleaning. Don't neglect the buffer and don't lose the washers under the sight rib.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#9]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Buckmarks are nice pistols but they require more TLC than Ruger.  They need to be kept clean and decently lubed.  You're not running thousands of rounds through a Buckmark without cleaning. Don't neglect the buffer and don't lose the washers under the sight rib.
View Quote
I'm going to disagree with that.

I have suppressed Buckmarks with thousands of rounds though them without ANY cleaning other than an occasional bore snake and light lube on the slide rails.

added pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By STJ:

I have suppressed Buckmarks with thousands of rounds though them without ANY cleaning other than an occasional bore snake and light lube on the slide rails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By STJ:
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

My Buckmark Camper is pretty finicky on cleanliness. Stove pipes, failure to go into battery are common.  When it was used for my club’s Women On Target events it would have probably 1000 +/- round through it and around mid event it would get a spray down with Gunscrubber and an oiling. By the end of the day a total strip down, detail cleaning and lubrication.

Gun has probably 10k rounds through it in total, just a SWAG but eight years of WOT usage put a lot of miles on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

View Quote

Sometimes all that gumming is from cheap gun lube too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top