Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2020 6:35:19 PM EDT
Been looking at these. Are they good pistols? Picky with Ammo? Thanks! $300 @ buds for the 4inch all black.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Good gun.

Needs a little bit of surgery, like removing the magazine interlock, but if you have to you can live with that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Great guns, I bought the cheapest one at the gun store then dumped a bunch of money into upgrades.

Remington Thunderbolt has been the only ammo I’ve ever had trouble with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to have one. Decent gun but I really didn't like how you had to remove the rear sight bridge to properly clean it. You also have to watch those screws so they don't come loose and your shots go wonky. Sold it to a friend who busted the thumb safety. I believe the thumb tab is just brazed on. They're easy to replace the barrel on so there's that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to have one. Decent gun but I really didn't like how you had to remove the rear sight bridge to properly clean it. You also have to watch those screws so they don't come loose and your shots go wonky. Sold it to a friend who busted the thumb safety. I believe the thumb tab is just brazed on. They're easy to replace the barrel on so there's that.
View Quote

Buckmark was the first gun I ever bought. Don't shoot it much these last decades. Can't get parts for it, and having to remove 2 screws for cleaning sucks. Wife did use it to qualify for a CCW permit a few months ago. It's also not threaded, and we mostly shoot suppressed these days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Our club has three, maybe four.  Nice guns.  They tend to need a little more TLC than the Rugers we have. We've actually worn out one or two but it took twenty years of use to do it.   Don't lose the lock washers under the rear sight assembly.  Keep a few buffers on hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Buckmark in 1999 and still shoot it. I think I have over 41K rounds through it, and it still functions 100%.  The barrel was replaced with a threaded 4" aluminum TacSol barrel about 5 years ago.
You can still get parts for the Buckmarks, and there is some aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can still get parts for the Buckmarks, and there is some aftermarket support.
View Quote

Please point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a recoil spring assembly. Shows as "discontinued" on the sites I've found. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/browning/auto-pistols-brown/buckmark is where I buy my replacement recoil springs and trigger return springs.  I've thought about replacing my pre-2000 slide assembly with the new style to get the updated firing pin housing, firing pin, and recoil spring assembly.  You should be able to call Browning and request a replacement rod, spring, spring clip, and recoil spring guide.

I've bought replacement old style firing pins from Billy Striplin https://striplincustom.com/collections/our-products/products/pre-2000-buckmark-firing-pin

Here is his full Buckmark parts page: https://striplincustom.com/collections/buckmark-accessories
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/browning/auto-pistols-brown/buckmark is where I buy my replacement recoil springs and trigger return springs.  I've thought about replacing my pre-2000 slide assembly with the new style to get the updated firing pin housing, firing pin, and recoil spring assembly.  You should be able to call Browning and request a replacement rod, spring, spring clip, and recoil spring guide.

I've bought replacement old style firing pins from Billy Striplin https://striplincustom.com/collections/our-products/products/pre-2000-buckmark-firing-pin

Here is his full Buckmark parts page: https://striplincustom.com/collections/buckmark-accessories
View Quote

Gunpartscorp shows the recoil spring as out of stock (continuously) and offers a Colt part as a replacement. I've got that. The end coil is too small to insert the Browning guide rod. The wire is really stiff and I got tired of trying to open it up. I don't see a pre-2000 recoil spring on Stripling, only a custom guide rod. I'd buy a custom guide rod if it was the complete assembly. Can you give a direct link? I'm getting slow in my search ability it seems.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
There is not a direct link to the spring.  E-mail Billy, [email protected], and tell him what you are looking for.  He might be able to get the parts you need. Billy builds custom race Ruger and Buckmark pistols for Rimfire Challenge competitors.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is not a direct link to the spring.  E-mail Billy, [email protected], and tell him what you are looking for.  He might be able to get the parts you need. Billy builds custom race Ruger and Buckmark pistols for Rimfire Challenge competitors.
View Quote

Thanks. I have sent the email. It is becoming challenging to get parts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been looking at these. Are they good pistols? Picky with Ammo? Thanks! $300 @ buds for the 4inch all black.
View Quote
Nice guns.  I hate taking the rear sight off to clean it and the finish on mine hasn't held up as well as I like.   If I wasn't already invested in it long ago I would go Ruger instead probably.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice guns.  I hate taking the rear sight off to clean it and the finish on mine hasn't held up as well as I like.   If I wasn't already invested in it long ago I would go Ruger instead probably.
View Quote
No need to really remove the sight to clean it. In fact don't clean it all. My suppressed one hasn't been cleaned for thousands of rounds, just a bore snake and oil where the slide rides...it keeps running.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I clean mine every time I shoot it. Nor do I take off the top strap to do so. I just scrub a bit with a toothbrush & add oil. Works fine. In fact, I've never removed the top straps on any of my 4 Buckmarks.

Aside from the Smith 41, the Buckmark is the best rimfire semi made for under $1k.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I clean mine every time I shoot it. Nor do I take off the top strap to do so. I just scrub a bit with a toothbrush & add oil. Works fine. In fact, I've never removed the top straps on any of my 4 Buckmarks.

Aside from the Smith 41, the Buckmark is the best rimfire semi made for under $1k.

View Quote

Which has been essentially my solution, but it bugs me every time I shoot it and clean it.  I'd like to be able to disassemble it and clean it farther than I can w/o removing the rear sight.    I bought it many years ago when I didn't know as much about guns.  I would probably buy a Ruger at this point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

I would probably buy a Ruger at this point.
View Quote

Well, if you can be satisfied with a lesser quality gun, go for it. A Buckmark shoots rings around a Ruger & balances better in almost everyone's hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I've has a Buckmark for a few years and it's fun to plink with. Boresnake and a scrubbing with a small toothbrush is the only cleaning it gets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, if you can be satisfied with a lesser quality gun, go for it. A Buckmark shoots rings around a Ruger & balances better in almost everyone's hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would probably buy a Ruger at this point.

I've got the Buckmark so I'm going to keep it.   I've been mostly shooting my Glock 19 w/ the dedicated Advantage Arms conversion on it.   I bought the Buckmark because it was similar to the 1911s I was shooting at the time.   The 1911s have long since faded as carry guns for me so that aspect doesn't matter.  I still have the gun.  I like shooting it, but especially if you put an optic on it it's a pain to really clean.      Other guns get around that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top