Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2018 6:01:08 PM EDT
Hey guys. One of my co-workers wants to sell a FN Browning high power 88 made in belgium... it says howco on the slide. Howco imported these. All my research has shown full size high powers, the pic my coworker showed me it looks compact... and the finish almost looks like od green...
Can anyone give me any info on these howco's??? Did they make a compact size?? Anyone know what the value would be on this gun??  
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless it's been cerakoted, it's probably just parkerized.

Parkerized metal can look green under certain lighting.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no knowledge of Howco but if its FN marked its good to go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not an iron-clad statement, since FEG and some other makers made carbon copies of them, including FN and Made in Belgium markings when they were neither made by FN or in Belgium...

OP, how do you mean "compact" ?

The only "compact" were Argie-made "Detective" models as far as I know; shorter slides. I don't think any such thing came out of Belgium though...the grip frame itself is relatively compact; it compares pretty favorably to a Glock 19 in height from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's not an iron-clad statement, since FEG and some other makers made carbon copies of them, including FN and Made in Belgium markings when they were neither made by FN or in Belgium...

The only "compact" were Argie-made "Detective" models as far as I know; shorter slides. I don't think any such thing came out of Belgium though...the grip frame itself is relatively compact; it compares pretty favorably to a Glock 19 in height from the factory.
View Quote
Yes the grip frame looks compact like a glock 19... I think this gun is throwing me off cuz in the pic the slide is locked back so it looks smaller than it actually is length wise... and a dark picture...  the barrel looks like the 4"  length..
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow I am shocked that posting that pic actually worked!! Anyways that's it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Howco Distributing imported genuine FN Hi Powers despite Browning Arms holding US distribution rights.
Generally the Howco HP's will be parkerized (hence the greenish color) and have pre MkII features.

They do not command a premium over any other importer of Hi Powers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also the compact Kareens and Arcuses
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a normal Hi Power to me, not a compact.
I would jump on it if the price is right. Looks like it's in great shape.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well guys, I didn't forget about ya... but the guy finally took it to a gun shop to get it appraised, and came up with a $650 price tag... so I bought it today...
I checked the serial number today, and it's from 1981! Preban guns command a premium here in CT, so I think i did good on the price... the gun feels really nice in the hand!...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, I love that greenish park hue!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
About average on price.  HPs are creeping up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top