Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 5:41:28 PM EDT
Sending this in to S&W because something isn't right with this gun. So the back story is my brother was shooting this gun made in 2008 and is a former range rental gun. One of his hand loads got stuck in the chamber, he got the slide back after the extractor rode over the case rim (9mm). He dropped the take down lever and he said that the slide release dropped on it's own and the gun fired! Now after you lower the slide you have to pull the trigger for the slide to come off? I think it has some major worn parts. Got a call tag for him so will see what happens. Anyone else ever heard of this?

https://i.imgur.com/digmAuf.mp4
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
theres 2 ways to release the slide.
like he did or you poke the sear disconnector inside so you dont have to pull the trigger.
not sure why he pulled the trigger with one in the pipe...i would have done things a little different..
your video doesnt work.

not sure why there are major worn parts, i could see the extractor being worn, but in reality, his handload was out of spec.
see the video i linked below, it shows you you do not need to pull the trigger to take the slide off.
im NOT sure if all models have the sear disconnector inside though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6mbzypv0I
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
theres 2 ways to release the slide.
like he did or you poke the sear disconnector inside so you dont have to pull the trigger.
not sure why he pulled the trigger with one in the pipe...i would have done things a little different..
your video doesnt work.

not sure why there are major worn parts, i could see the extractor being worn, but in reality, his handload was out of spec.
see the video i linked below, it shows you you do not need to pull the trigger to take the slide off.
im NOT sure if all models have the sear disconnector inside though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6mbzypv0I
View Quote

No, he said he did NOT have his finger on the trigger. He claims it slam fired on him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sending this in to S&W because something isn't right with this gun. So the back story is my brother was shooting this gun made in 2008 and is a former range rental gun. One of his hand loads got stuck in the chamber, he got the slide back after the extractor rode over the case rim (9mm). He dropped the take down lever and he said that the slide release dropped on it's own and the gun fired! Now after you lower the slide you have to pull the trigger for the slide to come off? I think it has some major worn parts. Got a call tag for him so will see what happens. Anyone else ever heard of this?

CLICK ME FOR VIDEO
View Quote

Your video link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link fixed

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess is he had a finger in the trigger guard. If not it was a slam fire which would be a rare thing for an M/P. I don't think your video shows a problem. With the lever pulled out on the inside of the gun and the one on the outside of the frame in the down position the slide will come off as shown.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t know anyone that would release their slide for takedown like that.

I can see why maybe it fired because the force which the slide released caused the sear to trip + high round count probably doesn’t help. But still..
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
On a M&P there is a lever that needs to be manually moved down to disconnect the sear as part of disassembly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Firing pin safety plunger would have to fail which is unlikely.

He very likely slipped his finger into the trigger guard when he released the slide and the resulting commotion covered up what he actually did.

For the slide to go forward that means the sear had to bypass the firing pin but that wouldn't allow it to fire.

All in all with it being a 12yo ex rental gun it wouldn't hurt to change all the springs and parts. Would likely cost less than 100bucks for most parts
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Firing pin safety plunger would have to fail which is unlikely.

He very likely slipped his finger into the trigger guard when he released the slide and the resulting commotion covered up what he actually did.

For the slide to go forward that means the sear had to bypass the firing pin but that wouldn't allow it to fire.

All in all with it being a 12yo ex rental gun it wouldn't hurt to change all the springs and parts. Would likely cost less than 100bucks for most parts
View Quote

I'm going with the bolded, unless inspection reveals broken or severely worn internal parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On a M&P there is a lever that needs to be manually moved down to disconnect the sear as part of disassembly.
View Quote

Ain't nobody got time to read the manual & actually do things the right way...

With the Sear Release Lever (inside the pistol mag well) MANUALLY MOVED DOWN, you CAN remove the slide without pulling the trigger.  If you held the slide backwards with the slide stop release, it would move forward AS IT IS DESIGNED TO...

EDITED tried with mine - The slide stop lever keeps popping back 'up' on mine (won't remain downward as the recoil spring pressure pushes against the stop returning it upward to the 'normal' instead of 'take down' position, so perhaps that is his issue.

any experts taken it apart or worked upon it?  Reduced recoil spring perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On a M&P there is a lever that needs to can be manually moved down to disconnect the sear as part of disassembly.
View Quote
Edited for correctness.
It can be manually moved down, and I suppose if you looked long enough, you could find someone that actually does that.  What everyone in the real world does is pull the trigger to remove the slide.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Edited for correctness.
It can be manually moved down, and I suppose if you looked long enough, you could find someone that actually does that.  What everyone in the real world does is pull the trigger to remove the slide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a M&P there is a lever that needs to can be manually moved down to disconnect the sear as part of disassembly.
Edited for correctness.

You don't have to look that hard. I use the disconnector as per the manual. It is what makes these pistols safer than others to disassemble.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Edited for correctness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edited for correctness.

I push it down if I’m at my bench.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, took the gun into the basement and dropped a primed case into the chamber. Wiggled the slide and the striker fell, but firing pin safety caught it. However when I recreated what happened to my brother it fired!

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
No magazine safety lever either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top