Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2022 9:42:19 PM EDT
I bought a surplus Beretta 92S today and it is in like new condition.

Now can anyone here tell me about the 92S?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Magazine release is on the heel, but otherwise it’s like the later model variants mostly I believe. If I came upon one for a good deal I’d grab it, but not pay a premium.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You’ll have to use factory 15 round magazines because of the heel release.  I think the Beretta USA website still sells them.

ETA - here is the link to them:  92S mags

I could never get over the tiny sights, and options to fix them are very limited.  It’s the only Beretta pistol I ended up selling.  But the slide to frame fit is traditional Beretta goodness.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Slide is made from nickel steel and glides on the frame like ball bearings on ice. Good guns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the surplus Italian police 92S that came in a while back.  As mentioned the slide is like it's mounted in ball bearings, very expensive and well lubed ball bearings.

Been wondering if there is a way to convert it to decocker only.  I know that the official Beretta G Kit won't work on the S, but is there a way to do it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The Beretta 92 series has a grip that is thicker than other double action pistols. Perhaps Beretta wanted their pistol to have the same sort of feel as a police revolver. When I picked up my surplus 92S, I could not help but think that it reminded me of a square butt S&W.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought my 92S new in 1980. Still looks new. Wonderful pistol for its time. Still can hold it's own.
Yes. Mag release on the bottom. Mags are available. Very nice blue job. Barrel is not chrome. And there is no firing pin block. The sights leave a lot to be desired.
But, they work for it's intended purpose.
All typical for the time. I put G10 grips on mine. It improves the grip some.

John!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in Italy - those are some of the firearms that shaped my youth - they're truly beautiful items and to have found one in new condition (as your recent M51) is just terrific.

TIme capsules
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Very reliable firearm.

The sights are only a “suggestion.”
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very reliable firearm.

The sights are only a “suggestion.”
View Quote

Most service pistols of the time had terrible sights. 1911A1, Ruger P89, etc etc

Mine shoots so well it's not really a problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Fluffy, if you havent and you got time, post some pics over on the Berettaforum.net

I've been a member there for a while and have received a ton of good info.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fluffy, if you havent and you got time, post some pics over on the Berettaforum.net

I've been a member there for a while and have received a ton of good info.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It's sweet, nice pistol. I only have 92 FS , 92A1 and a performance. Kick myself for not getting into Berettas years ago.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I was able to snag a nice example a couple of weeks back.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is one of the Italian surplus ones and it appears to have been factory refurbished by Beretta. All new springs, slide finish, and they put in an NSN marked M9 barrel. I like it just as much as my commercial M9.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine is one of the Italian surplus ones and it appears to have been factory refurbished by Beretta. All new springs, slide finish, and they put in an NSN marked M9 barrel. I like it just as much as my commercial M9.
View Quote

Oh that's a cool pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one that's definitely non N.I.B. condition, but still fun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File

Some cool proofmarks:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

...and the heel mag-catch

Attachment Attached File

Used the handy-dandy dremel to modify some M9 mags (cut hole in bottom of mag for heel-catch) so they will work in both guns now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top