Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2023 6:06:04 PM EDT
So I've never shot a bowling pin but it looks like a fun combination of accuracy and strategy.  I've watched several videos on the subject and the answers are all over the map but it seems like big heavy bullets are the most popular.  Seems like .40S&W and bigger are the go to choice for most.  

Since there's no matches around that I know of (might have to organize one), this is all hypothetical for the moment.  Which would you choose? Keeping in mind this is all I have that even remotely fit the criteria.

Choices:
1. M&P40 1.0 with 180 grain
2. G21 G3 with 230 grain
3.  STI Elektra with 230 grain
4.  GP100 with 158 grain
5.  S&W 629 V-Comp with 240 grain.

Since the magazines are limited to 6 (from what I've seen so far), the larger capacity of the M&P and G21 doesn't matter.  Seems like hollow points or bullets with a large flat meplat are best from what I've read and seen in videos.  

Any of y'all with actual pin shooting experience feel free to correct anything that's wrong or add more info.  I know that different matches have different rules and some have different power factors and different classes for irons and optics but I'm just looking for the basics to soothe my curiosity.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a lot of fun but I only got to compete for a couple months. Since I moved away from that range I bought some pins but nobody else seems to have interest.

If you want to keep your pins in good shape longer go with 45 heavy bullets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bullets that go through the pins don't do as well because they are carrying their energy through and beyond the pin.  Bullets that stick in the pin work best because they are transferring all their energy into the pin when they strike the pin.  

Something like a 250 grain soft lead bullet with as flat of a nose as possible that will "stick" into the pin will yield best results.  There are many TV shows out about pin shoots where the old timers are more than ready to give you their knowledge.  Search YouTube for information about the second chance shoot. There is a current movement afoot that is trying to re-start interest in bowling pin shoots.

There has to be a balance between bullet weight, caliber (bigger diameter is usually better), velocity, bullet shape and recoil.  Too much recoil will slow a shooter down.  

I have shot many kinds of competition, but never shot in a bowling pin match.  If I were to guess at a really good starting point, I would look at:

45-50 caliber (there are some 50 caliber 1911 style pistols)
200-300 grain bullet
semi-wad cutter or wad cutter bullets if you could get them to feed reliably
650-850 FPS velocity

Revolver or semi-auto pistol.. whichever you can shoot the best/fastest.   The more gas you run through the muzzle brake, the better the muzzle brake works.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Big, slow & heavy is the way to go in bowling pin. .44spl, .45LC, .45acp, etc. Think diesel: not fast but plenty of oomph.

Pins are a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
We used to have bowling pin shoots at my club. I found the following worked well:

.45 ACP 200 gr. LSWC at about 850 fps;
.40 S&W 180 gr. JHP or flat nose at about 900 fps;
.357 Mag. 158 gr JHP or 180 gr. JHP at about 3/4 maximum.

These were sufficient to knock a pin off the table and recoil was controllable for shots at other pins.

A 9mm with a 147 gr. JHP or flat nose would knock a pin off the table, but only if the bullet struck the center of the pin. Otherwise, it might knock the pin down, but not off the table.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you shoot accurately under pressure.  I used shoot lots of pin matches late 80-early 90s in US and Germany.  I could take pins cleanly off table with my P7 PSP with 124gr FMJ.  Preferred my 1911 and Coonan however.  .411gr LSWC at 1000 fps from my Smith N frames were stellar performers also.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting thing to note a local bowling place to me the owner will give me pins if I go by and ask.  It benefits him because when they have pins that are no longer useable for the bowling lane they have to dispose of them so less trash for him.  I used to go by and he would be practically giving me more pins then I would know what to do with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot a lot back in day as Combat Diver commented... we shot the Second Chance format, 5 pin off the front of the 4x8 table  (4' rear travel), 9 pin (9mm) set back a foot, so 3' rear travel) but did not have any restriction on magazine capacity, but at the time the wide bodies were not available... I used a 1911 .45 and SW M25 with 200 SWC hand loads and 124 9mm Air Force truncated cone cast in the P35 High Power....245 flat nose and light load 44mag in a 10.5 SA Super Blackhawk won a lot of money for me in revolver division
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember these? Pin Grabbers!  They were available as loaded ammo or as a component.  A guy that shot 2nd Chance till he died while at 2nd Chance...used a 250gr hard cast bullet out of
S&W 25 or 625

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot several bowling pin matches. I've shot with .45 ACP 230 gr. and 9mm 147 gr. I've won more with the Glock 17 than the Glock 21.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I won a pin match using 115gr 9mm out of a Sig P225, something like 2.9 seconds or something? The 115gr didnt knock them down with authority but the shot clock stopped at last fire, not the pin falling off the table.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot pin matches for a couple of years and saw everything from 9mm to .44 and everything in between. I used 9mm out of a G19 and won lots of first and second place trophies. 44 out of a Desert Eagle would put them off the table with authority. 30 carbine out of a coonan was loud indoors, but effective. There were usually more bottom feeders than round guns, but the guys who brought revolvers were very good. As others have said, big and slow will work but shot placement (as always) carries the day.

I think my favorite matches were the .22 only and 12 gauge matches. Our particular rules were the pin had to leave the table for it to count, which often resulted in several magazines expended to clear the table. The shotgun matches were very fun, I think #8 or #6 was mandated and our tables were set out about 10 yards. Managed to win once with my Mossburg pump up against autoloaders. I'd shoot pins again in a heartbeat, lots of fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and light load 44mag in a 10.5 SA Super Blackhawk won a lot of money for me in revolver division
View Quote

How the heck do you reload a single action fast enough to compete? All the ones I saw required a reload.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
A ton of a great information, I'm accurate enough with my G21 but my STI is way more accurate so that would probably be my choice if I can find a match.  Might have to try and find some pins and set one up for our HTF group.  Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Brandi.., the Second Chance (bullet proof vest) format had a 5 pin event, 5 pins on the front edge of the table, probably 7 yds, no revolvers had more than six shots at the time, no mandatory reload...with a 245 grain flat point bullet and load of Unique, when it hit a pin, it took it off the table
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
exactly!... the 10 1/2" pointed very well
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I've watched a guy clean house with his duty-issued G17 and ammo, including putting guys with comped, tuned 1911s and handloads to shame.  Admittedly, this guy had next-level skills, but still...
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can reload your ammo, I would put a 300 or maybe 240 grain on a light 44 mag load out of your choices but I have a 200 grain 40 cal load that would be great as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Our pin shoots are just off of a saw horse and 22LR works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in the day...

Speer 200 gr 45 ACP hollowpoint

AKA "The Flying Ashtray"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Brandi.., the Second Chance (bullet proof vest) format had a 5 pin event, 5 pins on the front edge of the table, probably 7 yds, no revolvers had more than six shots at the time, no mandatory reload...with a 245 grain flat point bullet and load of Unique, when it hit a pin, it took it off the table
View Quote

That's cool, sounds fun.  Sounds perfect for my Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Back in the day...

Speer 200 gr 45 ACP hollowpoint

AKA "The Flying Ashtray"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2262/ashtray_jpg-2811039.JPG
View Quote

Shot the last of those out of an M1917, never could get them to feed reliably in a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remember these? Pin Grabbers!  They were available as loaded ammo or as a component.  A guy that shot 2nd Chance till he died while at 2nd Chance...used a 250gr hard cast bullet out of
S&W 25 or 625

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/media/scdnj35i/exotic.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=987&height=551&rnd=132681392324130000&quality=60
View Quote

This is the weight I recall reading about years ago. 250 or 260gr hardcast semi wadcutter was the bullet of choice.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Historically that's been a 45 game.  Pins are heavy and need a stout push. The higher velocity smaller caliber rounds don't typically have enough mass and tend to tear up the pins more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#27]
if you have any input to the running of the match, if the AMF red crown is facing the shooter, the largest solid block of wood is facing the shooter...
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot bowling pins for years, and like you state OP, it depends on how it's set-up.

If the pins are set on a 2X4 then 9mm rules. If they're set at the the front of a sheet of plywood, the .45 acp will rule. I found .45 acp to be better than .40, just because I could run the gun faster due to a perceived benefit in lighter recoil with the .45 vs .40.

I used 230 grain ball for the .45 and 147 grain for the 9mm. Don't overthink the ammo....practice! Shooting bowling pins is great as it teaches you a balance of speed and accuracy- too fast and you'll miss, but too slow and you'll lose. I started my competitive shooting with bowling pins and then progressed on to USPSA and IDPA. I carried a shocking amount of "lessons learned" from pin shooting into the other gun games.

Develop a cadence when you shoot and don't stop if you miss a pin, but go back and get missed pins after you finish attempting to clear on the initial sweep.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
This isn't me in the video, but Bristlecone ran this match every Monday night. Probably one of the few things I miss from Colorado was a weekly pin match.

Hard to see in the video, but the pins were only about 12" from the edge of the table, so 9mm and .45 both worked...with a slight edge to the .45.

Bowling Pin Shooting Competition at Bristlecone - Indoor shooting Range in Denver, CO
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems like .40S&W
View Quote

180gr gold dot or 180gr Ranger T I had bounced off the pins. Knocked them down but ricocheted all over.
I didn't try FMJ. I wasn't impressed enough to try again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Our club does it once a year.
The old guys with lots of experience show up with big heavy slow cast bullets with large meplats. Think wide flat nose. One guy has a mold for his 358 that is a 200 grain wadcutter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Used to shoot pins every Wednesday and tried most everything. Best load I found was a 215gr in 45 that had the biggest meplat I’ve ever seen. Driven hard with unique it ‘almost’ slammed pins as hard as full up 44mags.  Ball would bounce if you didn’t get a centered hit but the 215’s would snag the plastic and move the pins.

Pick whatever gun you run the best but one of the 45’s is a safe bet.

I’d suggest making your first runs slow and steady with accuracy your goal. 1 shot/1pin is your goal.  Don’t get over excited and AIMthe shot. Ideally hit just below the fat part of the pin to kick the base slightly and carry the pin.  If it goes straight back and off the table, it’s a perfect hit. Avoid a side hit as much as possible. The pin will often spin and just lay down. Often fouling the other pins and leaving you with an ugly mass to try and shoot clear.

I always used stock guns even against full up race guns and eventually got solidly competitive with them. Ya just have to work at it.  When you break the shot, forget about it and move to the next pin. You can’t change the shot you just made so it no longer matters.

It’s tremendous fun and addictive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

180gr gold dot or 180gr Ranger T I had bounced off the pins. Knocked them down but ricocheted all over.
I didn't try FMJ. I wasn't impressed enough to try again.
View Quote

GarretJ did a good job addressing this. I agree, it was likely the pin construction and not the bullets. You will see ricochets occasionally no matter what people are shooting, but it's more common with slower/heavier bullets.

Occasionally we'd run a .22lr match and set the pins on the edge of the table. I don't recall having many ricochets with even .22lr.    

A table full of heavy old pins made for a good match....you'd better get good hits or they weren't going to roll off the table.

We went through a lot of pins in our weekly match, and you'd see a variety of pin construction. Some pins would last multiple matches, others would make it through only half a match before they were split open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top