Granny was born in 1907,
she ain't as pretty as she once was,
she's been around the block a few times,
she's set a few men straight and has the marks to prove it,
been loved and neglected,
kinda loose internally (if you know what I mean),
been rode hard and put up wet far too many times
her bore is kinda rough.

But damn it, if things get spicy, she can still shoot Minute of Mother Fucker.

Colt New Service in the somewhat rare 44 Russian, original configuration.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the difference in bullet weight and velocity between 44 Russian and 44 Special? I've always assumed that 44 Special was a significant step up, but two sources I've looked at lately - Michael Bussard's "Ammo Encyclopedia" and Wikipedia, which references the SAAMI specifications for these rounds - state that the difference was minimal.

In particular, they both say that the standard bullet weight for both rounds was 246 grains. And they agree that the standard velocity for 44 Russian was 750 feet per second, while 44 Special was just 755 FPS - a difference of less than 1%!
View Quote

Link

I wouldn't say "no" to a .44 Special as a SD weapon.

What's its reliability like?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

What's its reliability like?
View Quote

Well, I was shooting the wrong ammo simply because it was all I had.

First time shooting was with 44 Special ammo loaded with a 200gr Cowboy at around 900 fps (only lead 44 bullet I have).  Completely wrong for this gun and its Colt rifling.

Going to try to find some medium-hard cast 240gr keiths and push them out at around 700fps to see what it will do.

Unfortunately, the timing is quite loose and if it is cocked slowly, you might get shaved bullets and keyholes.  Have got to do some internal work to tighten it up a little.

All and all, I was quite pleased with the old girl.  Went bang everytime and all of the bullets went thata way & even hit the paper.

MLG
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top