Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2022 9:00:03 PM EDT
Does anyone carry a bond arms Derringer?

I just bought one with a 2.5” 357 magnum barrel.

I was thinking about a 9 mm barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one in 45 Colt, but found it more of a novelty than anything else.  I'd much rather carry a small revolver or automatic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
They’re heavy for what they are and after two shots you’re not going to be reloading quickly. I’d carry a pocket 380 or J frame before a derringer. Have you seen what badguys are carrying these days? To me a derringer is what the guy that kills you pulls out and starts telling his buddy about how he got it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot it the other day with 38 special loads and I didn’t notice the recoil.  While it isn’t the ideal pistol to carry it is better then tossing rocks.

Think of it as a liberator, use it to kill off a bad guy and take their weapons and ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Too heavy for the tactical value it brings.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 45LC / 410 and a  9mm barrel. Got it for shits and giggles but I do not carry it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Snake Slayer 45 Colt/410 and have just bought a Stinger in 38 Special.  These guns are built like a tank and are very well made.  I guess they're not for everyone, I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rickypoole:
I shot it the other day with 38 special loads and I didn’t notice the recoil.  While it isn’t the ideal pistol to carry it is better then tossing rocks.

Think of it as a liberator, use it to kill off a bad guy and take their weapons and ammunition.
View Quote

lol if you think you're winning the fight with one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -GuNuT-:

lol if you think you're winning the fight with one.
View Quote

You have a better chance to win with one then you have with out one
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Own yes, carry no.  It's a fun gun to own and occassionaly fire, but between two shots, being heavy, and having to both cock it and push the safety off, it's slow to use.

The 9mm rounds are going to be about the same as .38 Special rounds in terms of recoil - only advantage would be cheaper ammo.  So figure out how many rounds you'd have to fire to save money compared to not buying the 9mm barrels and paying more for .38 Special.

I bought a .380 barrel to go with my .45/410 set up, and it's a lot more fun to shoot than the .45 one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
No offense, OP, but you appear to be trying hard to justify a poor choice for CC.   Form factor, action type, ammo capacity all militate against a derringer being a viable self defense tool in 2023.  If that was all you had available, then I guess it is better than nothing.  But with 5 shot short barreled revolvers and micro-compact 9mms being readily available and ubiquitous, it is just a bad choice.  

OTOH, you do not have to justify your CC choice to anyone but yourself, and perhaps your family if something goes wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top