Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2021 9:24:06 AM EDT
Are they using the HK or have they all been issued new Glock 19 guns , How did the HK hold up with all that hot 40 cal ammo ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#1]
G19 for blue shirts
G47 for green shirts
G26 for zipper suited sun gods

Or that was the plan at least

The P2000 was just fine; there was tons of bitching but whatever. It served its purpose for 15 years or so, now back to Glock.
/shrug
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G19 for blue shirts
G47 for green shirts

Or that was the plan at least

The P2000 was just fine; there was tons of bitching but whatever. It served its purpose for 15 years or so, now back to Glock.
/shrug
View Quote

More or less this.  You hear about lots of guns breaking but when you have 40,000 pistols in service you're bound to have more problems just due to the volume
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
They should be fully swapped over to Glock 47s and 19s. If it is similar to OFO, Honor Guard might still have P2000s for ceremony purposes (think they are having issue with holster availability).Shy of that, the majority of P2000s should be scrape metal by now… might be paper clips.

Hot .40 ammo? At least on CBP’s side, we shot Federal 180 grain HST. The ammo I got from a BP transfer was that purple case practice stuff (wasn’t hot, but forget the specs) and HST.

We currently have Winchester 147 grain Ranger, but moving to Speer 147 grain G2 (they darkened the bullet black for ID)… can’t see BP being that much different, but did see lighter loads on the approved agency list.

Quoted:
G19 for blue shirts
G47 for green shirts
View Quote

BP has the option, either 19 or 47. Or at least what I see on the northern border.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They should be fully swapped over to Glock 47s and 19s. If it is similar to OFO, Honor Guard might still have P2000s for ceremony purposes (think they are having issue with holster availability).Shy of that, the majority of P2000s should be scrape metal by now… might be paper clips.

Hot .40 ammo? At least on CBP’s side, we shot Federal 180 grain HST. The ammo I got from a BP transfer was that purple case practice stuff (wasn’t hot, but forget the specs) and HST.

We currently have Winchester 147 grain Ranger, but moving to Speer 147 grain G2 (they darkened the bullet black for ID)… can’t see BP being that much different, but did see lighter loads on the approved agency list.

BP has the option, either 19 or 47. Or at least what I see on the northern border.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
G19 for blue shirts
G47 for green shirts

OFO, BP and AMO all have the same ammo contract at the CBP level.  So it's just a matter of how much they stockpiled vs how much they've shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a real nice clean P 2000 40cal LEM , with night sights , I think its the V2 set up, man I like it its a tac driver if I do my part , I been shooting Fed HST 180 gr and 165 Gold DOT , I like and have a Gov ICE 229 Dak with the etched bar code on the slide , night sights in 9 mm was a contract over run gun. I never see any of them out in the wild but I like the HK better . thanks for the input .
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The original Border Patrol ammo issued in the 1990’s was the Remington 155 grain JHP; it was also made by Winchester and Federal. That round was a screamer, so hot it used to break Beretta 96D Brigadeer on a regular basis. The INS, specifically Border Patrol, wanted a round to mimic the last issued load for .357 Magnum in 110 grain load. The only two other guns that could handle that .40 S&W 155 grain load was the Sig P229 DAO and H&K USP Compact LEM.

When most of DHS went over to .40 S&W everyone was issued the Federal 180 grain HST. That load was able to handle both the HK P2000 and crappy Sig P229 DAK that was awful. As far as DHS issuing Speer Gold Dot, ICE/HSI issues a different Speer Gold Dot 124 +P load. This is the load that has been given to agents  since 2002 when HSI was still USCS OI and issued the Glock 19 Gen 3 with NY trigger

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The original Border Patrol ammo issued in the 1990’s was the Remington 155 grain JHP; it was also made by Winchester and Federal. That round was a screamer, so hot it used to break Beretta 96D Brigadeer on a regular basis. The INS, specifically Border Patrol, wanted a round to mimic the last issued load for .357 Magnum in 110 grain load. The only two other guns that could handle that .40 S&W 155 grain load was the Sig P229 DAO and H&K USP Compact LEM.

When most of DHS went over to .40 S&W everyone was issued the Federal 180 grain HST. That load was able to handle both the HK P2000 and crappy Sig P229 DAK that was awful. As far as DHS issuing Speer Gold Dot, ICE/HSI issues a different Speer Gold Dot 124 +P load. This is the load that has been given to agents  since 2002 when HSI was still USCS OI and issued the Glock 19 Gen 3 with NY trigger

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a very good summary. Just to add, I went to BP academy in 1999, issued Beretta 96D. For the first part of training we shot 180 grain Remington that came in a green and yellow box. After a few weeks they switched up to the gray box Federal that was noticeably hotter, the 155 duty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that Remington ammo was cracking the frames of the Beretta on a regular basis….  Around the 5K point.  On the Sig 229 DAO…. BEFORE the DAK models, that ammo was breaking the extractors.  I can’t recall any issues with the HK USP with the Remington ammo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Who pulled the plug on the G47 for OFO?  Some PM at ATC or a genius SES at HQ?

Somehow the G17 was okay for the unwashed masses but now the G47 isn't?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, that Remington ammo was cracking the frames of the Beretta on a regular basis….  Around the 5K point.  On the Sig 229 DAO…. BEFORE the DAK models, that ammo was breaking the extractors.  I can’t recall any issues with the HK USP with the Remington ammo.
View Quote

Never had any problem on my Sig P229 DAO’s extractor with the yellow box Remington, Blue/gray Federal, or gold box Winchester 155 JHP. And I shot a shit load  of ammo through that gun. It is a 1995 AF model, and I still have it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I beeen shooting 165 gr Gold DOT and 165 fmj stuff through this P200 40 cal and its right on and no problems at all , still carry in Desantis open top leather , u don`t no its there .
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a very good summary. Just to add, I went to BP academy in 1999, issued Beretta 96D. For the first part of training we shot 180 grain Remington that came in a green and yellow box. After a few weeks they switched up to the gray box Federal that was noticeably hotter, the 155 duty stuff.
View Quote

There was also some Remington green/yellow 155 IIRC, Winchester Ranger 155 was around for a long time (into late 2000s), and then the gray/blue Federal 155 which was getting phased out by early 2010s, then the Speer 180 DHS white box stuff, and Winchester 180 grain ITR purple FMJ ammo that used to be for sale on Midway.

The federal 155 wrecked everything in 40 cal.  It was/is a really hot round, and I remember hearing about how it'd permanently break HKs around the 10,000 round mark (usually things like the guide rod hole in the slide breaking apart).
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was also some Remington green/yellow 155 IIRC, Winchester Ranger 155 was around for a long time (into late 2000s), and then the gray/blue Federal 155 which was getting phased out by early 2010s, then the Speer 180 DHS white box stuff, and Winchester 180 grain ITR purple FMJ ammo that used to be for sale on Midway.

The federal 155 wrecked everything in 40 cal.  It was/is a really hot round, and I remember hearing about how it'd permanently break HKs around the 10,000 round mark (usually things like the guide rod hole in the slide breaking apart).
View Quote

I still have a LOT of the Federal and Remington 155 JHP. I left for Customs OI in 2002 and mostly shot 9mm Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber until they transitioned to the P229 DAK in 2008. Awful trigger, much preferred the LEM and Glock triggers over the DAK. Complete ass backwards trigger system. I have three P229’s, one I carried as my BP duty pistol and two others I bought cheap and converted to DA/SA with Gray Guns Customs parts. The guns are a world apart and feel so much better.

I remember doing night quals with the Federal, Remington, and even the Winchester Ranger 155 round at night, and the muzzle signature just blinded you at night.  Man, that 155 grain load was a screamer
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I still have a LOT of the Federal and Remington 155 JHP. I left for Customs OI in 2002 and mostly shot 9mm Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber until they transitioned to the P229 DAK in 2008. Awful trigger, much preferred the LEM and Glock triggers over the DAK. Complete ass backwards trigger system. I have three P229’s, one I carried as my BP duty pistol and two others I bought cheap and converted to DA/SA with Gray Guns Customs parts. The guns are a world apart and feel so much better.

I remember doing night quals with the Federal, Remington, and even the Winchester Ranger 155 round at night, and the muzzle signature just blinded you at night.  Man, that 155 grain load was a screamer
View Quote

Ranger has some kind of flash suppressant components, also dumps yellow flakes of crud in the pistol.  Remington doesn't have any flash suppressant chemicals, it's like Hollywood blanks that spit fire.

Short of Tula ammo or crew-served guns, I've never seen anything as bright as that Remington yellow/green box stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where does the 135 grain stuff fit into all this?

Have a coworker, who does not shoot, give me three boxes of the 135 grain HST, and another couple of 180 grain HST (our last duty load).

Only have an M&P40C left in .40… which I might turn into a truck gun just to use up some of the ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where does the 135 grain stuff fit into all this?

Have a coworker, who does not shoot, give me three boxes of the 135 grain HST, and another couple of 180 grain HST (our last duty load).

Only have an M&P40C left in .40… which I might turn into a truck gun just to use up some of the ammo.
View Quote

I'd heard a while ago (possibly here) that Air Marshals used 135 grain loads.

Honestly not sure.  I think I've seen 135 or 140something frang rounds out there somewhere from people I've gone shooting with, but I have no idea on those.  There's always some office someplace that can order something or ends up with something non-standard in their inventory.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a supply of that Federal 135 and 155 that I will only shoot in a full sized USP 40 or P30L (not P30, but Long Slide with stainless steel dampener on the RSA instead of the plastic one on the regular slide model).  The ammo is too hot for any other 40 from my experience.

I had not heard that BP had issues with their P2000?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top