Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2018 10:40:40 AM EDT
I have a project Sig 229 that I want to take the nitride coated barrel and remove the coating, leaving a polished metal. (the barrel has a lot of scuffs and missing coating as is, on the top of the chamber.)

I have a media blaster cabinet that I can strip it, and a tumbler with walnut media to polish it too.

Will there be any adverse effects on accuracy doing this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a project Sig 229 that I want to take the nitride coated barrel and remove the coating, leaving a polished metal. (the barrel has a lot of scuffs and missing coating as is, on the top of the chamber.)

I have a media blaster cabinet that I can strip it, and a tumbler with walnut media to polish it too.

Will there be any adverse effects on accuracy doing this?
View Quote
Nitride is NOT just a surface applied finish.

You will likely have to polish the surface again depending on how you want to finish it.

If it is on SS it is not likely Nitriding but paint of one type or another.

Surface treatments on SS have to deal with the Chromium in the metal (10.5 % minimum to be SS).

Outside of plasma methods removing the surface Chromium (and a lot of the corrosion resistance) is often required.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You will likely have to polish the surface again depending on how you want to finish it.

If it is on SS it is not likely Nitriding but paint of one type or another.

Surface treatments on SS have to deal with the Chromium in the metal (10.5 % minimum to be SS).

Outside of plasma methods removing the surface Chromium (and a lot of the corrosion resistance) is often required.
View Quote
Ah.. Sounds a bit more complex than I had hoped.

All of the finish is worn from the top of the barrel chamber. But the barrel and side of the chamber are black.  My OCD is kicking in.

Link Posted: 4/28/2018 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is SS the odds are it is NOT "nitride" but a paint or film finish of one type or another.

The Chromium layer in SS interferes with nitriding and other conversion type finishes.

They convert a layer of iron and color it.
Passivated SS is covered with a chromium layer.
Non-passivated would be very blotch at best.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I polished my p229 barrel that looked like that to a mirror finish with just white rouge and a felt dremel pad.  Only took minutes.  Do it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It actually can be if it is 'titanium nitride' coated.
That is a ceramic finish to improve surface properties.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I would leave it alone, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To me it just represents honest use, not wear and tear. It will soldier on for decades and function 100% .
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks a lot like IonBond PVD. You sure it's stainless?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top