Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2021 12:58:11 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone offers something like a "blank" hammer for the 1911.

Basically a hammer with the lower half all cut as you would expect. Pivot hole, sear surfaces all finished. But the upper portion left as just a solid square blank that you can then cut and profile to whatever shape you want.

Figured with the popularity of customizing 1911s. Someone would offer something like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
When I consider how hard the steel a hammer is made from, I believe I would rather pick one of the many already available hammers on the market.

I am a proud graduate of WECSOG, but cutting a blank hammer to a visually appealing profile sounds like a lot of extremely hard work, with the potential to totally ruin the part.

Maybe I am just getting lazy in my old age, but that is my take on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Makes me curious as to what profile your looking for if one not available doesn’t trip your trigger. I myself like standard commander or wide spur USGI.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I consider how hard the steel a hammer is made from, I believe I would rather pick one of the many already available hammers on the market.

I am a proud graduate of WECSOG, but cutting a blank hammer to a visually appealing profile sounds like a lot of extremely hard work, with the potential to totally ruin the part.

Maybe I am just getting lazy in my old age, but that is my take on it.
View Quote

This. Seems like a lot of work for little pay off

Quoted:
Makes me curious as to what profile your looking for if one not available doesn’t trip your trigger. I myself like standard commander or wide spur USGI.
View Quote

I think it's the trigger that trips the hammer ;)

but seriously check out SVI style hammers if you want something different that you don't have to DIY?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually thinking about something similar the other day.

More along the lines of a Colt style spur hammer with no serrations and a little extra material, if you wanted to checker or stipple it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You would probably need a mill, if was really oversized.  I've bobbed and reshaped tool steel hammers with just a Dremel and file though, and it was not a difficult task.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oddly enough. Just want a plain serrated Series 70-style spur hammer but from stainless barstock.

All I can find are checkered GI spurs, or carbon steel Series 70 (like Apex) or some other mystery alloy.

Kind of strange how hard it is to find a plain stainless spur hammer.

I'm not afraid to do some work to get exactly what I want.
I've made more complex things than a hammer with a Dremel and files.

Reprofiled barrels, cut loading gates, you name it. Making a hammer is simple enough.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oddly enough. Just want a plain serrated Series 70-style spur hammer but from stainless barstock.

View Quote

I think those were always pretty hard to come by.  I have a Carbon one from Dave Berryhill but I think him and Cylinder & Slide offered stainless at one point.

I would recommend sending some polite emails to some of the bigger 1911 smiths.  Some of those guys have bins full of takeoff S70 spur hammers and grip safeties sitting in their shop.  Dave sent me several grip safeties for free.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
KCs Kustom CMP hammer is close to what you described.
https://kcskustomcreations.com/product/cmp
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The Extreme Engineering classic spur hammer or Marine Corp spur hammer, is pretty close to what I want. Not sure what it's made of though. Just says "alloy steel".
Looks the same as the C&S M Corps hammer. Even the same desription. Wonder if they're related somehow.

https://shop.1911parts.com/Extreme-Engineering-Marine-Corp-Spur-Hammer-EE2-Marine-Corp-Spur-Hammer.htm

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0022

Looking like I might just go with one of those. Or maybe the wide spur. But kinda leaning towards the narrow one.

The KC Custom one above is nice. Don't know if it's $195 worth of nice though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what I put in my Springfield Milspec. I got the set with the TR sear.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is what I put in my Springfield Milspec. I got the set with the TR sear.
View Quote

And what were the results? Did you do any work on the hammer or sear? More escape cut?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And what were the results? Did you do any work on the hammer or sear? More escape cut?
View Quote
It dropped in for me. With a Colt sear spring it yielded a nice 4.5 lb pull. No creep and no grit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top