Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2019 5:43:16 AM EDT
OK, I have three classic Smith and Wesson revolvers I want refinished back to new condition and I've noticed that newer S&W revolvers seen a more polished black than a deep blue finish...  I hope its me, but if I'm wrong and their current is basically the same as their late 70s/early 80s process, then sending them back to S&W may be the ticket.

If they did change their bluing process, who else can do an outstanding job in re-bluing?  And another important part, during the polishing process, not buffing out the original factory markings.

Btw, they are the Model 10, with the standard barrel, a Model 15 and a Model 19.  My other Model 10 with a heavy barrel and my Model 13 are my range guns.

Thank you for looking!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I sent a few back to smith, but everyone recommended Fords in Florida for that. Fords can even restamp if needed I believe. Smiths process has changed as I understand it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had one handgun reblued, a Colt Trooper Mk III that had some serious holster wear.  It came out well but it was not a cheap process by any means and looking back on it was probably not a wise financial decision.  None of the Smiths you mentioned are rare or collectible.

I seriously doubt I’ll go the reblueing route again.  Touch up with Brownells Oxpho Blue will do it for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sent a few back to smith, but everyone recommended Fords in Florida for that. Fords can even restamp if needed I believe. Smiths process has changed as I understand it.
View Quote
The blueing process uses a lot of hazardous chemicals that are a pain to deal with in this regulatory environment
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you really want to do that, then Ford's is probably the best way to go. You are unlikely to ever get your money back if you do sell them down the line. What I, and most of the guys on the S&W forum recommend would be sell the ones you have and put the money towards higher condition examples. Then you have beauty and collectibility both.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
From my perspective refinishing is a lose /lose proposition
Take a $400 gun refinish it for $300 to have a gun worth $400
Old classics will be worth more in original worn finish state than in refinished state
Modern guns or non collectible guns will see a zero increase in value with a refinish
Unless you have issues with rust ( with basic care would be highly unlikely) I say leave them alone.
If you get an expensive fords level refinish at some point unless you don’t shoot them, you will eventually wear the refinish too and be back to square one
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless they are family heirlooms that you want to hand down for generations, the cost is prohibitive.

If you like them and want them redone, go for it. Just don't expect to recover the cost if you do sell them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all the info!!

These, along with a couple of Colt 1911s, as well as two Browning High Powers, are handguns that I will be passing down to my kids.  With luck, they will pass them down to their kids and so on.

At this stage of my life, I’m kind of starting to tie up life’s loose ends and spending money to achieve what “I” want to achieve is fine with me.  I’m basically done buying guns and most likely in another 10 years or so, I’ll be selling off a good portion of my gun collection and simply keeping stuff that has sentimental value.

With that said, resale value is basically a mute point with me.

My two daughters have already laid claims on several of my rifles...  My youngest has laid claims to my HK-91, HK-93 and HK-94.  My oldest, has claimed my FN-FAL, FN FNC and IMI Model A Uzi.

They’re smart and understand the value of keeping them in our family, so I’m good with that.

Again, thanks for all the info!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Turnbull's is THE best place for refinishing. They do heirloom stuff & make them look like custom guns. Just beautiful work, IMO.

Check their web site for pics, you'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Turnbull's is THE best place for refinishing. They do heirloom stuff & make them look like custom guns. Just beautiful work, IMO.

Check their web site for pics, you'll be impressed.
View Quote
Do you realize that a Turnbull revolver job runs about 2,000.00 ??
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does that include engraving?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you realize I can't even afford to email them?  

Seriously, the best is never cheap. They simply do amazing work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Bluing isn't rocket surgery... you can rust blue at home:

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Accurate Plating & Weaponry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
None of those are particularly rare or special.  Reblueing will be largely a waste of money.  A reblued gun is just a used gun you put too much money in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Accurate Plating & Weaponry.
View Quote
+1 never been disappointed with Bob's work, both hard chrome and blueing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top