Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2023 9:21:28 AM EDT
I have a couple of suit coats that are getting ton up by the grip on my P365.  I have read where people have a piece of canvas or cordura sewn into the lining in that spot to deal with wear from aggressive grip textures.  The lady who does my alterations said she could do it, but that I would have to buy the fabric and bring it in with the jackets.  What's the best fabric for that application?  I assume even within canvass and cordura there are variations, weights, thicknesses?
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Denim would be an option.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked at a suit store in college that catered to diplomatic security folks. We always just used plain basic cotton fabric in mid weight that was similar to cotton dockers material in the same color family as the current liner. Denim would be too heavy and cause the garment to hang to one side.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By frankinwr:
I worked at a suit store in college that catered to diplomatic security folks. We always just used plain basic cotton fabric in mid weight that was similar to cotton dockers material in the same color family as the current liner. Denim would be too heavy and cause the garment to hang to one side.
View Quote

This is what I've done in the past
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought yard of dark rip stop nylon.  My seamstress seemed to think it will work. I dropped it and two suit coats off to see how that goes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Jos A. Bank by chance?  I read DSS used to get discounts there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked the jackets up today.  She did a good job replacing a section of the lining in each with the rip stop nylon.  I will report back on how it wears.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I had my tailor sew "coin pockets" on the inside bottom corner of my jackets.  Would drop 1-2 coins in them to weight them down so they wouldn't flap up in a breeze/gust.  Had them sew in some midweight fabric on the inside of the jacket as well.  Really glad I don't have to live that life anymore
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Update: Absolutely worked.  No further issues.  It is a tiny bit stiffer than the rest of the jacket, and doesnt "drape" quite as well, but that is only noticible when I am consciously checking and concentrating on it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I had my tailor sew "coin pockets" on the inside bottom corner of my jackets.  Would drop 1-2 coins in them to weight them down so they wouldn't flap up in a breeze/gust.  Had them sew in some midweight fabric on the inside of the jacket as well.  Really glad I don't have to live that life anymore
View Quote

They make weights for drapes that can hemmed in the bottom to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Jos A Bank?

What about sewing a scrap of leather or denim on both sides to counter weight it and to protect from having the magazines tearing up the liner?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top