Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2018 9:32:25 AM EDT
In the market for a 1911? Here is a nice detailed write up from Pew Pew Tactical based on various price ranges.
Might be a handy read for anybody in the market for an 1911 handgun.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-1911-pistols/
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I was at a local KC gun show not long ago and was checking out the Springfield Armory Mil Spec .45 and was very tempted to get it.  It's one that is more in my limited price range.  I don't "need" one but sure as hell would like to have one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a RIA A1 a few months ago to “get back in the 1911 game” and I’m thrilled with it. I’m into it for just an eyelash over $500, only plans thus far are to swap out the ambi safety for a standard GI version. It’s just now getting “broken in” since I don’t shoot it as much as my other pistols but she’s definitely a runner. Cheers
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Their list is

Remington R1 over a Colt? no Dan Wesson?

lol no thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
In before the "Why no love for Dan Wesson" crowd shows up. (Whoops, beat by seconds.)

Its a fair article for a beginner if you are new to 1911 pistols, although some of the info is sketchy. For instance Colt didn't contract out the manufacturer of 1911s to those other companies, the procurement section of the War Dept did to rapidly meet the armed services needs around WWI. And the Springfield Armory that made the first copies back then was the US Arsenal in Mass. not the current commercial company producing 1911 pistols in Geneseo, Ill.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the "Why no love for Dan Wesson" crowd shows up. (Whoops, beat by seconds.)
View Quote
Can't help it, pound for pound Dan Wesson is still the best value for a production gun in the $1,200-$1,500 range. The fact not one of their models made their list but some purple bullshit 3" 9mm Kimber did makes me question it's legitimacy.  Not to mention the assertion that $1000-$1400 "as close to flawless as you can get before spending a fortune on a handcrafted 1911".

Whole article reads as if a gun store counter fudd wrote it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
That list is tarded.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

..The fact not one of their models made their list but some purple bullshit 3" 9mm Kimber did makes me question it's legitimacy...
View Quote
They did call it "eye catching"
I call eye cringing, stomach turning.
Looks like something a pimp would buy for one of his hookers to match his purple hat with a feather in it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their list is

Remington R1 over a Colt? no Dan Wesson?

lol no thanks.
View Quote
Slow your roll, man, it's Pew Pew Tactical, not some random guy with an opinion and a Youtube account.

I have to doubt you even operate.

I could write a better list than that after a full frontal lobotomy, but since I don't have a LookAtMe channel, I can't imagine I'd be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a BS list IMO..
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Terrible list. Kimber/ Remington would be on my worst 1911’s of the century list. Even though I can’t agree with their actions, SA makes decent 1911’s. And of course those in the know, Dan Wesson
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#11]
no SR1911 either
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A "best of" list that includes the Kimber Amethyst Ultra II?  There's reasonable debate to be had on the other 9, but #10 kind of ruins any credibility.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Those guys are quacks that there's not a single DW in that list.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sure the list is not for everyone. All in all pretty neat to see millennials out testing and writing up an article on a venerable platform as is the 1911.

Kudos to the Marine for trying
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
NOT a good list. After a few years of screwing around wasting money buying guns on that list, you will eventually buy a Dan Wesson and wonder why you didn't start there in the first place. I'm just glad I figured that out early after buying a few guns on that list (1 Kimber and 3 Colts). Good thing I bought those four guns in a two month period, and after being left unsatisfied I immediately sold one and bought a DW a week after. Spend the extra $300 and buy a Dan Wesson to start, print out the list and use it as a target at the range.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the Springfield Mil-spec.  The gun seems right up my alley and all the 1911 I’ll need..  Every time I’m about to get one some other large expense pops up and I have to put it off. My bday is coming up in August at the same time I get a big bonus check. I won’t tell my wife about the bonus and plan to buy the 1911 as a gift to myself in secret. Eventually she will notice I have it. But that’s a battle for another day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the Springfield Mil-spec.  The gun seems right up my alley and all the 1911 I’ll need..  Every time I’m about to get one some other large expense pops up and I have to put it off. My bday is coming up in August at the same time I get a big bonus check. I won’t tell my wife about the bonus and plan to buy the 1911 as a gift to myself in secret. Eventually she will notice I have it. But that’s a battle for another day.
View Quote
Like that move @DeputySC better to ask for forgiveness after the fact
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
As already stated, lots of derp in that article.

Then again, the fact that they are called "pew pew tactical" writes them off before I even opened the link
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The purposes of these "best" lists are to generate a buzz for the website by creating controversy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top