Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2020 12:22:26 PM EDT
Who is a fan and if not why?
Specifically looking at the centurion model in 9mm for a truck or house pistol (no carry) and considering it also in .40 as it was built to handle the cartridge.
I think  it would be a good alternative to the GEN 5 Glock 23.
Price around my area is less than Sig,Glock. On Par with Ruger and Smith offerings.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They're knocking the prices way down to move them. Beats most all guns out there in the sub $400 price range. Go for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a full size FDE in 9mm and it was flawless, seem to be really built well . I bought ex mags and a new full size extra grip frame then sold the gun .I also have a fact Beretta leather holster for one . I like the gun but was easy come and go for another .
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Any tips on where people are finding them for cheap?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:34:33 AM EDT
[#4]
A very under rated pistol
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost bought one when they were $329, I kind of wish I would’ve. I rented one and liked it as well as my G19.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive had a full size 9mm for a while and enjoy it when I shoot it.  I did have to fill in the rear dots with a Sharpie as they were highly distracting.  I wouldnt mind using one with a RDS on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Centurion as an alternate EDC gun.  It is superb.  The grip is deeply cut in from the back and the gun is amazingly well balanced due to that fact.  I wish the slide had normal serrations on it and have considered buying a grip spider to gain some traction.  Not sure yet.  The ergos of the gun are phenomenal and the trigger is outstanding.  Do not hesitate to buy one.  Especially at sub $375.  I got mine at Cabelas when they were $329.99 and used discount gift cards bought online for an OTD price under $300.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an APX full size for a while and put more money into it than I should have. While it was well made and ate anything I threw at, I could never shoot it all that well. To me, Beretta triggers are nothing to write home about, so I ended up trading it off toward a Walther PPQ instead. Now that was a trigger I could write home about!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Most under rated handgun on the market. People made fun of it (because we suck as a community) because of the serrations down the slide. You're slowly seeing people start to praise how great they are for manipulating the slide. I would have one in a second if they sold guns in Tennessee anymore. We don't have anything on shelves from Johnson City to Memphis.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive had a full size 9mm for a while and enjoy it when I shoot it.  I did have to fill in the rear dots with a Sharpie as they were highly distracting.  I wouldnt mind using one with a RDS on it.
View Quote

Personally, I would have said that 'I did have to fill in the rear dots with a Sharpie because I really don't like three-dot sights.' but whatever...

Personally, again, I do like three-dot sights and the Beretta APX ones are just fine.

And I really like the full-size APX...

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Personally, I would have said that 'I did have to fill in the rear dots with a Sharpie because I really don't like three-dot sights.' but whatever...

Personally, again, I do like three-dot sights and the Beretta APX ones are just fine.

Forrest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

I was like "WTF kinda weird shit is this?" when I read his post.

My GOD there are some fucking strange birds on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
It was made for the MHS and didn't win. That's a big part of why it's not more poplular.

I think it's a well designed gun honestly, but losing the MHS was a huge blow to it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a fan of it.  It’s a serviceable mediocre striker, though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That wouldnt have been an accurate statement for me to make seeing as how I dont mind using pistol irons with a 3 dot configuration.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one and it was a good pistol but nothing special.  It did have a fantastic feeling grip though.

Biggest problem with it being a lesser popular pistol is finding accessories.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That wouldnt have been an accurate statement for me to make seeing as how I dont mind using pistol irons with a 3 dot configuration.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity (and an honest question), what did/do you find objectionable about the APX ones that you don't see as a problem with others?

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity (and an honest question), what did/do you find objectionable about the APX ones that you don't see as a problem with others?

Forrest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

The dot on the front sight is large and sits high on the blade which, when coupled with the 2 dot rear sight, causes me to shoot low as I find myself subconsciously aligning the dots. Once I blacked the rear dots out, aligning the top of the sights became much easier and my impacts shifted up to where I wanted them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I was a pre-release buyer of the LEO version of the APX. I immediately compared it to an M&P M2.0 with a slightly fatter slide and slightly better grip. It's a very good gun and the equal of any M&P, P320, Glock, P10C, etc. At $500-550 it's just another wonder-nine in a crowded field of wonder-nines. At under $399 it's a real bargain and a far better gun than anything coming out of Turkey.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The dot on the front sight is large and sits high on the blade which, when coupled with the 2 dot rear sight, causes me to shoot low as I find myself subconsciously aligning the dots. Once I blacked the rear dots out, aligning the top of the sights became much easier and my impacts shifted up to where I wanted them.
View Quote

Thanks for the answer.

Sights can be such a personal thing, can't they?...

The front dot on the APX IS pretty big, but I find that it looks pretty good when held at arms length.  Since I always align the dots and cover the target with the center one, I find that those on the two APXs that I have work perfectly.  But that's with my eyes, not yours.

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a compact that is now a centurion (same slide assembly) another centurion, and a target model. I carried the compact but now the centurion in a decent muddy river IWB holster or an OWB from Black Rhino which accommodates an Olight PL mini 2 mounted on the rail.

Holsters and sights are available but are somewhat limited, mags are inexpensive and robust, steel construction.

I bought ameriglo hackathorn night sights, 30 mags, a holster for the target, and four different colored and sized grip frames (full sized are with or without finger grooves) during one of Beretta USA’s many on line sales throughout the year and saved 30-40% on accessories. Parts are also available directly during the sales.

The guns are well made. Certainly not a cheap or mid to lower end pistol in my opinion, and the initial pricing reflected that.

They didn’t sell many so the price and or rebates were floated until equilibrium was established.

Very easy to completely remove the trigger assembly for thorough cleanings, which is not possible on my other pistols.

I haven’t shot the target model yet but the centurion is easy for me to shoot well and fast. The price of the centurion / compact was too low to ignore. The target has an optic cut, pre tensioned barrel, came with 4 mags and was still cheaper than a G19. Only one holster available for it though.

Looks ugly as sin to some, I think otherwise.

Edit had more time to say stuff

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Thinkin’ real hard about a Combat threaded, optic-ready version.

I need another striker with an optic like I need a hole in the head, but I liked the one I handled a few months ago.

Now I just need to find one in stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thinkin’ real hard about a Combat threaded, optic-ready version.

I need another striker with an optic like I need a hole in the head, but I liked the one I handled a few months ago.

Now I just need to find one in stock.
View Quote

Just do it!

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I own dozens of pistols from various manufacturers, and the APX is my favorite. It's what I EDC. If it wasn't for the initial rebate that brought the price down to $300, I wouldn't have ever tried one. Glad I did. I like it so much, I purchased 2 more for a total of 3. I invested heavily in mags (I own like 30 now), holsters, spare parts, etc. It's a nicer and more robust pistol that most realize. Plus, IMHO, I like the why that they look. IMHO, the only ones that are ugly are the full-size with the finger grooves grip. Beretta does offer a grip module that does not have finger grooves if you're one of those sissy boys who need a pretty gun.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Big fan of the apx. The grip is probably the most ergonomic handgun on the market. Great trigger, slides a little chunky but shoots very well.

The only issue I had with one of mine was I had a few failures to go into battery, maybe it was dirty, some bad ammo, or a weak recoil spring. I was never able to repeat the failures, and I upgraded the recoil spring on that pistol after that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:...and I upgraded the recoil spring on that pistol after that.
View Quote

What did you upgrade it with? I’ve read about the battery thing quite a bit. Huge thread on the Beretta forums.

I’ve seen various guide rod / spring upgrades for it. Which one did you go with?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What did you upgrade it with? I’ve read about the battery thing quite a bit. Huge thread on the Beretta forums.

I’ve seen various guide rod / spring upgrades for it. Which one did you go with?
View Quote

I'm a member on most firearm forums, and his is the only thread that I've ever cane across. The same goes for YouTube. It's only one member had an issue with his. Everyone else who posted, including myself, reported never having that same issue. The OP refuses to simply send it back to Beretta. At the close of the thread, he finally realizes that he was missing a small spring in the slide. He ordered a new one, and is waiting to see if that makes a difference.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it's a great looking pistol in person especially the Centurion. I had the Centurion model and I really liked it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Galloway precision, it was a heavier rate spring too.  They were the only place making anything apx at the time. Might be more now. But I do think it was just a combination of being dirty and the ammo maybe being slightly out of spec, I haven’t ever had it do it again before or after the new recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Galloway precision, it was a heavier rate spring too.  They were the only place making anything apx at the time. Might be more now. But I do think it was just a combination of being dirty and the ammo maybe being slightly out of spec, I haven’t ever had it do it again before or after the new recoil spring.
View Quote

That’s the one I’ve been eyeing, along with the lighter striker guide/spring. Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s the one I’ve been eyeing, along with the lighter striker guide/spring. Good to know, thanks.
View Quote

I personally don’t recommend their lighter striker setup. Just get the beretta green spring. The Galloway is a solid metal rod and doesn’t have any flex like the original parts. It causes a weird vibration when the trigger is pulled. I don’t like it at all, but it does decrease the trigger pull weight. Some people say it’s fine though so maybe it’s just me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Good guns for the price I paid---$329 each for a full size and Centurion---I no longer shoot 9mm until my stash can be replenished ---prices on new ones are no where near what I paid, maybe they'll come back down after the craziness goes away?

Compares well to my M&P 2.0 Compacts and G19's
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been competing with a full-size since 2018 and my wife made me get a compact "so you don't have to re-think when you carry." Since then the compact has come along on IDPA matches and stuff, and there's little to complain about. I have done terrible things to both of mine, and they just don't seem to care.

Ergonomics are as good as they get, apart from night sights, there isn't a lot the thing needs to run and run. They can be had for cheap, considering what they are.

The full-size is comfortable to shoot a lot, stupid, stupid reliable, accurate enough, durable so far, and the trigger works for me.

I can't say I really like the compact, but I don't really dislike it either. It's stupid reliable and accurate enough, and a full size mag with a mag sleeve on it makes it comply with current trends of short barrels and humongous mags.

As far as parts support - what are people really looking for? Most sight options and red dot mounting plates are on the Beretta sight and competitively priced. Some of the better holster makers all make holsters for them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most under rated handgun on the market. People made fun of it (because we suck as a community) because of the serrations down the slide. You're slowly seeing people start to praise how great they are for manipulating the slide. I would have one in a second if they sold guns in Tennessee anymore. We don't have anything on shelves from Johnson City to Memphis.
View Quote

The Canik TP9SF and the Arex Delta ,ight have something to say about that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy online for $350ish, have it shipped, and then transfered to you.

It is a very underrated handgun. I only brought one because there was a rebate that put it around $300. I'm not even really a polymer guy. I prefer metal framed handguns. With that said, I was extremely impressed so much so that I purchased a couple more. I now have several holsters, dozens of mags, and enough spare parts to last me if the platform is ever discontinued. I don't think that the casual gun owners or the drive by haters realize all the pros that the APX has over some of the competition.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Time for my dumb question of the day.  

Any chance that Beretta 92 magazines work in the APX?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Time for my dumb question of the day.  

Any chance that Beretta 92 magazines work in the APX?
View Quote

Nope. The APX, PX4, and 92s all use different mags. A lot of people ask this question. Some people even get upset and say Beretta is dumb for doing so. To that, I usually bring up the fact that the Sig P320 does NOT take Sig P226 mags, the CZ 75 mags to NOT work in the CZ P10c, so I'm not sure why the APX and Beretta gets shitted on by some in that respect while others get a pass.. The APX was a completely different design with different geometry and features.

The APX 9mm has factory 10, 13, 15, 17, and 21 round mags that are relitively inexpensive. They have a MSRP of about $33. I have about 30 mags of various sizes, and I paid between $15-$25 each for them at BerettaUSA. They routinely have $15% to as much as 40% discounts codes via their mailing list. They also have sometimes discount specific magazines, and allow you to apply the discount code to the already discounted price.

I would suggest to anyone just starting out who wanted to invest in the platform to sign up to Beratta's mailing list, and to stock up on extra mags when you can catch them on sale.

For example, BerettaUSA has the APX 17 round mags on sale for $20 each. They also a have sale going on for 20% off of $100, $25% off of $200, 30% off of $300, and 40% off of $500.  If you purchased five $20 17 rounders, it would only cost you $16 per mag. If you purchased 25 mags, they would be $12 a peice. You can also pay use their interest free, credit check free, payment plan to get it now, and pay later.

Like I said, just another perk of owning an APX that some do not not into account. Long winded answer to a simple question, but I wanted to point out that even though the APX is not compatible with 92 mags, their mags are very affordable. It's not going to break the bank to stock up on a few extras.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top