Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2022 9:52:56 PM EDT
This pistol has the euro mag release in the base of the grip

Is it true Taurus mags are made with both mag release cuts?

Will Taurus Mecgar mags work?

I can’t Figure out if this mag would work?

Mec-Gar Taurus PT92 9mm 15-Round Magazine
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of later Beretta factory 92F and FS mags will have the S cut too. No point in buying anything but factory.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found the 10 round magazines are more likely to have the cut than not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It is easy to modify a regular 92/m9 mag to fit. Gun parts corp also had  92s mags  while back for really good price.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The older, commercial 15rd/17rd Beretta 92-series Mec-Gar magazines made up until about a decade or so ago had both cut-out's as standard.  They also had the older-style, thin and smaller "S" baseplate as standard, both the blued and the nickel-plated examples.  

Older Factory Italian-made "PB" and/or "MDS" 15rd magazines USUALLY had both cut-outs as well.  I say usually because that ceased around the same time as Mec-Gar changed over to their "18rd" magazine-body across the board, sometime around 15 years ago.  However these mostly had the Beretta FS or M9-style thick aluminum or plastic baseplates which look odd when used in an older Beretta '92S.  

American-made Factory 15rd 92FS magazines are and were a real crapshoot with regards to finding one with the older, lower cut-out magazine catch.   Just my own personal opinion but I wouldn't use any Taurus magazine, whether it fits or doesn't.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The older, commercial 15rd/17rd Beretta 92-series Mec-Gar magazines made up until about a decade or so ago had both cut-out's as standard.  They also had the older-style, thin and smaller "S" baseplate as standard, both the blued and the nickel-plated examples.  

Older Factory Italian-made "PB" and/or "MDS" 15rd magazines USUALLY had both cut-outs as well.  I say usually because that ceased around the same time as Mec-Gar changed over to their "18rd" magazine-body across the board, sometime around 15 years ago.  However these mostly had the Beretta FS or M9-style thick aluminum or plastic baseplates which look odd when used in an older Beretta '92S.  

American-made Factory 15rd 92FS magazines are and were a real crapshoot with regards to finding one with the older, lower cut-out magazine catch.   Just my own personal opinion but I wouldn't use any Taurus magazine, whether it fits or doesn't.  Hope this helps.
View Quote

Excellent info.!

There's a very good, older, vid on youtube of a guy who made a paper template from a magazine with a heel release cutout to use to mark a magazine without the heel release cutout in order to make one.  The idea of the template and the ease with which it was made was great, but his workmanship was ugly as sin.

I suppose one could make a template of where to cut using only the exposed frame of the 92S, perhaps without the magazine catch mechanism.  That's what I hope, anyway, as I don't have any mags for mine and plan on buying some Mecgars for it.  It would be a lot easier if one had something to go on.  I think I'll email some friends asking them if they have any Model 92 mags with the heal release cutout.

Cheers

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a couple Taurus PT-92s for many, many years, and have built up a big stockpile of Taurus factory-made 17 round magazines for them.

The original PT-92 is a copy of the original frame safety/heel mag release Beretta 92, that was built under contract, by Beretta, for the Brazilian military, at a factory that Beretta set up in Brazil. When the contract ended, Taurus bought the entire factory.  This is why PT-92s have a frame safety. Taurus didn't "move the safety from the slide to the frame;" more accurately, the PT-92 retains it from that very original Beretta. But I digress...

For whatever reason, Taurus still machines their magazines with that original lower cut, along with their later, conventionally-located mag release cut.

Beretta and Taurus 92-series pistol development diverged; they both relocated the mag release from heel to the conventional "behind the trigger" location in different ways. This is why modern PT-92 and modern M9/92FS mags are kind-sorta close, but do not interchange.

Taurus mags are still made with both upper and lower release cuts, and work with the first generation PT-92, later PT-92s, the first generation Beretta 92, and the Beretta 92S.

I have owned PT-92s, a Beretta 92S, and now have that very first gen 1979 Beretta 92 with the frame safety. I personally attest that modern Taurus PT-92 mags work well in all of them.

Quoted:
Just my own personal opinion but I wouldn't use any Taurus magazine, whether it fits or doesn't.  Hope this helps.
View Quote

@emmetf I understand. Your concerns are valid. Although I have not had any issues using Taurus PT-92 mags in my 1979 Beretta 92 and Beretta 92S, I admit that the follower is a potential weak point. I think it is more susceptible to tilting & jamming, compared to my early Beretta mags, much like early AR-15 mags were. As such, all of my AR-15 mags have Magpul anti-tilt followers, and I think Beretta followers are superior to Taurus. But, practically... in many several thousands of fired rounds, I haven't had any issue.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would get a factory Beretta magazine. Most are cut for the heel release as is the one I linked.
https://www.topgunsupply.com/beretta-92-15rd-magazine-for-sale.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The Beretta webstore at least used to list whether or not mags were compatible with the earlier 92s. I haven’t looked in a while though
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1467060

These have just the heel catch, for couple bucks more can get mags with both. I have ordered both from them and they where in great shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top