Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 9:45:34 PM EDT
I am looking at handgun possibilities for if/when my state passes a mag ban.

I need something that I can carry which I can hold as I have large hands (The large backstrap on my present gun fits good) and Fit ban state laws.

Now, I Am not adverse to switching calibers. I have been looking at 10mm, 357 sig, staying with my nine or going 357 mag.

Right now I have a FS M&P 9. I don't mind going sig, Diamondback, 1911's, or HK.

I don't mind glocks, just not my style.

So, what manufacturer for the gun (I need to be able to exchange my gun for an almost even trade), and should I stay with nine or go more peppy (I don't mind the kick of a 44 mag if that gives any indication of what I can handle).
Thanks.

ETA:

I am liking the looks and feel of the Diamondback but am unsure of the quality.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at handgun possibilities for if/when my state passes a mag ban.

I need something that I can carry which I can hold as I have large hands (The large backstrap on my present gun fits good) and Fit ban state laws.

Now, I Am not adverse to switching calibers. I have been looking at 10mm, 357 sig, staying with my nine or going 357 mag.

Right now I have a FS M&P 9. I don't mind going sig, Diamondback, 1911's, or HK.

I don't mind glocks, just not my style.

So, what manufacturer for the gun (I need to be able to exchange my gun for an almost even trade), and should I stay with nine or go more peppy (I don't mind the kick of a 44 mag if that gives any indication of what I can handle).
Thanks.
View Quote
HK45.

I wouldn't care unless it's already been passed though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HK45.

I wouldn't care unless it's already been passed though.
View Quote
It hasn't yet. But I am planning on the worse, praying for the best.

I had looked at the HK VP9 at my LGS and really liked the feel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
M&P shield
Springfield XD
Ruger Lc9s pro
walther PPS
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
M&P shield
Springfield XD
Ruger Lc9s pro
walther PPS
View Quote
Was debating on the shield. But my hands are almost too big. It is a little better with an extended mag.

I was also considering a single stack 1911.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock 30S is a chunky little hotrod which is unmatched IMHO. HK or S&W will sell you these giant 10 round 45's but the 30S will do 9+1 only 1/4 inch longer than a G26 or 10+1 the same size as a G19.

This is a short frame gen 3 with the slim slide off a 36, it should not be confused with a G30 or G30SF.

I did a compact 1911 for a bit, a Colt defender in a nice milt sparks holster. Can't bring myself to sell it, but wouldn't carry a 1911 again. I found what they say is true, once you start shooting guns without safeties, you can't carry a gun with one, you will forget to flip it off under pressure. Thumb position is different for a 1911 versus a Glock as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have lived under the oppression in the past. A Glock 26 (10+1 9) or 1911 (8+1 45) seem to be the answers
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
A 10 round 10mm or a
6 shooter .357 would ride my buttcheek.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You from WA by any chance? We might/will probably get a mag ban limit. I’ll be sticking with a Sig P365/G26/G43 if that happens.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The tiny, 10 round, 45 ACP, 40 SW and 9mm hanguns were a direct result of the Clinton AWB.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Can  you get 10 round mags for the M&P?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can  you get 10 round mags for the M&P?
View Quote
Yes. Many M&P’s sold here in Md all with 10 rnd mags.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you all for the responses.

I am looking at the suggestions here and they look good.

I did own a P250 at one point and traded it for my M&P FS I own now. The only issue I had with and probably will still have is the grip. They are just really small and my pinkie just floats around in the air.

I know the Shield has the extension mag which allows a longer grip without changing the size of the mag so I may look into that as a viable option.

To answer the question, I do not live in WA and I am praying things do not go bad for you guys out there either.

A good question then I should ask, if I go with a compact, I am going to need the extension. Which brand? M&P, Springfield XDS, Sig or ?.

I do know Glock offers several but I am not a big fan of Glock. Not that they are bad or I have had a problem with them. I just don't care for how they feel in my hand. I have heald the Springfield and Shield and I owned a Sig (I will absolutely need an extended grip for it).

I will be going to my LGS hopefully this week so I will also see what they have.

However, I have been very interested in the 10MM. I like the punch of the heavier caliber and the power down range. All I have ever owned is 9MM. Do you think it is worth trading in my complete set up for 9MM and jumping into 10 or stick with the 9MM? If I do change calibers, I am going to have to get new supplies anyway.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you haven't said what state you're in, for PERSEC and all, why are you even worrying about this to begin with?   And why not just buy 10 round M&P mags for what you have?10 round M&P mag
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If you really love your current gun and/or you've sank money into upgrading the sights and trigger and buying holsters and everything else, then you may be losing your shirt if you try to sell and buy a new gun.  You're pretty much guaranteed to lose money selling your used holsters for one gun and they buying new holsters for a different gun. Just buy the 10rd mags and sell all your standard capacity mags on the EE.

If I had to pick a 10rd gun, I'd either go with the HK 45 for best choice or the sig p365 for concealable.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you. I did not realize they had 10 round mags for the FS M&P.

As far as upgrading it, it is still bone stock as the day I got it. The only things I bought for it was a shoulder holster which I do use and an Alien Gear holster (which I can change the shell out for free).

For the rest of it...it is as it was.

Thank you again for the advice on the 10 rounder.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
if I was stuck somewhere that I was limited to 10ish rounds, I would up it to 45 or 10mm. 45 since I like it. But 9mm wins when you combine round count and carry size. If you're limited to 10, may as well get something designed for bigger bullets. Get a 45acp M&P or a similar. used they are under 400. I have seen them much lower.

or a single stack 1911. slim, is 10+1 with long mags or 8+1 with standard.

if a shield is too small for your hands you can add a Hyve mag extension (makes it 10+1) and a hogue or other brand padded grip sleeve. new the guns are $250 right now and I bet you would get 225 if you sold it used, so not much of a risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top