Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2021 6:59:28 PM EDT
I'm looking to spend some of my bonus on a higher end 1911.  Have a number of run of the mill versions.

I have found for sale a Springfield Custom, built in 2016.  I have also been browsing online and the Les Baer Thunder Ranch fits what I am looking for as well. Looking for insights on either one to make a decision.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What model Springfield, and features?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had LB and SA Custom Shop target pistols. They are both nice. I prefer the Springfield but if I found a good price on a LB, I would consider it. Even though they are the “same” gun, they are different enough to tell.

Don’t overlook the fact that SA has world class customer service.

Don’t overlook the new Rock River guns. They are equally as accurate and well fit as either LB or Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Over the last 10 years I have been a die hard Springfield Professional and Les Baer fan.

The Springfield Professional (only custom shop pistol available to California) seems to be put together just a little bit better than the Les Baer. Small stuff like the slide stop hole being deburred in the Springfield, not in the Les Baer. The Professional stayed tighter longer with almost no break in needed. Every Les Baer needed 500 rounds to be reliable.

That said this is from a standard Les Baer TRS at 50 yards last weekend. It has been a while since I have shot this far.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
both are really good, quality guns that will serve you well. If you want a rail, the choice is pretty much in favor of the SA. If not, it's your toss up. I bought my first baer very used and put 25k+ rounds through it. Still shoots ragged one hole groups.

My second baer was a TRS I bought when my first son was born. Have beat and carried it a lot and same as above, it's a perfect 1911. I couldn't figure out what to buy my second son, because I wanted something I could use and carry but I'm not gonna carry 2 1911s at the same time.

Bought a springfield Long beach operator. Nice but did not feel at all like the baer so I moved it along. Then I met a buddy at the range to shoot his Springfield Pro he was trying to sell. I had the cash in my pocket to buy it. I had wanted one forever but not handled one. Once I did, and shot it, I no longer have exceptional desire to own one.

Nothing against it, was well fit and finished, shot well and reliably, just did "feel" like the Baers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Second son’s gun

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Love my Henry's.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You would probably like either.  I prefer Baer, have two and no complaints.  They are definitely my most accurate 1911s.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m a Springfield Custom fan but both are nice. A Baer TRS is on my list to go with my Colt Gunsite and Springfield Professional.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Both are great. I really like the way Baer does the high cut front strap, but SACS guns are super clean builds.

My Baer Custom Carry with some mods by SACS and Alchemy Custom.

My 9mm SACS Ultimate Carry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I much prefer Colt’s and Baer’s high cut front straps to Springfield’s
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Colt really does that undercut right.  Baer is close second.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the feedback. Still weighing options.

Quoted:
What model Springfield, and features?
View Quote

It’s a NM Hardball.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Both are great. I really like the way Baer does the high cut front strap, but SACS guns are super clean builds.

My Baer Custom Carry with some mods by SACS and Alchemy Custom.
https://i.imgur.com/FlGAae6.jpg

My 9mm SACS Ultimate Carry.
https://i.imgur.com/XGdDo8O.jpg?1
View Quote

Yea Dave Williams was against high cutting front straps. So that kind of filtered all through SA.
I have/had both Baer utc 9mm and SACS 9mm (bought Used). The UTC was not put together correctly by Uncle Les' Monkeys. Rob @ AC got it right with some minor repairs. I regret selling it.
The SACS is "looser" than the Baer, but is slightly more accurate in my hands.

This SACS was high cut from JT Timmons by the previous owner.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yea Dave Williams was against high cutting front straps. So that kind of filtered all through SA.
I have/had both Baer utc 9mm and SACS 9mm (bought Used). The UTC was not put together correctly by Uncle Les' Monkeys. Rob @ AC got it right with some minor repairs. I regret selling it.
The SACS is "looser" than the Baer, but is slightly more accurate in my hands.

This SACS was high cut from JT Timmons by the previous owner.
https://i.imgur.com/wjuP3rah.jpg

View Quote

Looks excellent. The SACS guns really do it for me aesthetically and in my experience are great shooters. If I can find a regular SACS Custom Carry I'll pick it up and then have the front strap high cut and checkered like yours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Between the two, and I own Both, Springfield railed pro.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm the owner of multiple Baer's, so I'm a wee bit biased. But I also love my Springfield's too. Kind of a "Rolls vs Bentley" contest, IMO. Either way, superb gun.

Shit, get both.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the feedback. Still weighing options.

It’s a NM Hardball.
View Quote

I'd go for the TRS, such a classy gun...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top