Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2020 10:07:22 PM EDT
Is anyone else here figuring on using their BHP for their go-to handgun if/when the sh** hits the fan?  

It's my choice because I've only had one failure in 10,000 rounds, plus I simply shoot more accurately with it than I do with my Sig P320C, Taurus PT-92 or the God-awful Glock 19 I had for a while.  The only downside I see to it is magazines wouldn't be as common as Beretta, Sig or Glock, since those are/were in wide use by U.S. military and law enforcement agencies.  And of course, the 13-round capacity vs. 15 for most other large frame 9 mm models.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get 15 round mags.

I like the hp but I carry an m&p 2.0 9c. Its simply more practical for me

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one belt set up for a BHP and another for a M&P 2.0. I practice with them both. I would feel fine carrying either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If it’s what you shoot best, sure.

But there are better, higher capacity, lighter, tougher pistols.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have no issues using the Hi-Power. Served well for many militaries over the years. Obviously guns like the Glock have replaced it these days. Mostly due to lower cost and ease of use. I agree the Hi-Power is far more accurate than a Glock. Due to its more natural point of aim and SAO trigger and steel frame. Love me the Mousetrap mags that jump out fast!! Fast reloads!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick with the G19 and watch the Corporal Killings video...

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It's in the lineup, but a third choice for me.

CZ P-01, then M&P then BHP.
Weight, rail and capacity give the others the edge.

I wouldn't however hesitate for a second if it's the one I had access to
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
1st choice for one of my family, and a 3rd choice for me, but is often in my CCW line-up.

I need to send my alloy framed one off to get better sights.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few, and I like them, but the HP wouldn't be my first choice.

Oh, and the Mec-Gar 15-round mags are the bee's knees.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it but it's not my first choice. Wish I'd bought more of the Mec-Gar 20rnd mags when they were making them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't fired my old trusty Novak Spec Ops BHP in over a year. But without a doubt it would be my SHF go to sidearm with 13rd & 20rd magazines. It always works, plus it will gobble up any ammo with hard primers you feed it. Never know where your SHF scenario will take you or the ammo provided. I'll skip the 15rd BHP aftermarket magazines since I do not find them reliable in real world shooting situations. Ok for range magazines.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Worked for the SAS for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]

I had one and foolishly sold it, as I wanted to take away the temptation of sending it to Novak's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't fired my old trusty Novak Spec Ops BHP in over a year. But without a doubt it would be my SHF go to sidearm with 13rd & 20rd magazines. It always works, plus it will gobble up any ammo with hard primers you feed it. Never know where your SHF scenario will take you or the ammo provided. I'll skip the 15rd BHP aftermarket magazines since I do not find them reliable in real world shooting situations. Ok for range magazines.
View Quote

Even the MecGar 15rnd mags?  I haven't run more than a couple hundred rounds max through mine but they've been reliable.  I've even got some of those 17rnd, IIRC, Argentinian mags that have been reliable, at least with the FMJ I've used them with.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I have thousands of rounds down range in my Mk II and Mk III with the 15 round Mecgars, never a bobble with any type of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Not my primary but its in my line up
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one and I constantly forget i even have it
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I had one and foolishly sold it, as I wanted to take away the temptation of sending it to Novak's.
View Quote

Here's No. 1 from Novaks completed in early 90's when Kurt Wickman was Managing the shop and doing all the BHP work.

Quoted:

Even the MecGar 15rnd mags?  I haven't run more than a couple hundred rounds max through mine but they've been reliable.  I've even got some of those 17rnd, IIRC, Argentinian mags that have been reliable, at least with the FMJ I've used them with.
View Quote

If you feel comfortable with your magazines run with them.

Quoted:
I have thousands of rounds down range in my Mk II and Mk III with the 15 round Mecgars, never a bobble with any type of ammo.
View Quote

And you probably won't on any casual firing line. The 15rd Mec-Gar is a great magazine, hands down. But a major flaw in my opinion is the Flat Hollow Base Follower. If you strike the bottom of your magazine hard enough that follower will stand straight up and down inside the magazine. Not with a fully loaded mag of course. Had it happen once during a Tact Course 25 plus years ago when the Mec-Gar 15rd was first made aware to me. I went from running to a prone position then smacked the ground pretty hard with the pistol taking the blunt of the force. Instant malfunction after next shot. Sold them all after that and stuck with 13rds. Now I know why the original magazines had the one post on bottom of follower. Now the standard is 2 posts. I still prefer the 4 post from the mid 80's early 90's.

And no I'm telling you there junk or sell them. Mec-Gars are great magazines. Just an experience I had happen which is why I have no confidence in them for a SHF magazine, the 15rd that is.  

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/mec-gar%209mm%20Hi%20Power%20magazines%2013%20vs%2015%20shot.htm

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Sold mine and got a full size S&W M&P 2.0 in 9mm. Just a much better gun in my hands than the BHP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here's No. 1 from Novaks completed in early 90's when Kurt Wickman was Managing the shop and doing all the BHP work.

https://i.imgur.com/r9eq11w.jpg

And you probably won't on any casual firing line. The 15rd Mec-Gar is a great magazine, hands down. But a major flaw in my opinion is the Flat Hollow Base Follower. If you strike the bottom of your magazine hard enough that follower will stand straight up and down inside the magazine. Not with a fully loaded mag of course. Had it happen once during a Tact Course 25 plus years ago when the Mec-Gar 15rd was first made aware to me. I went from running to a prone position then smacked the ground pretty hard with the pistol taking the blunt of the force. Instant malfunction after next shot. Sold them all after that and stuck with 13rds. Now I know why the original magazines had the one post on bottom of follower. Now the standard is 2 posts. I still prefer the 4 post from the mid 80's early 90's.

And no I'm telling you there junk or sell them. Mec-Gars are great magazines. Just an experience I had happen which is why I have no confidence in them for a SHF magazine, the 15rd that is.  

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/mec-gar%209mm%20Hi%20Power%20magazines%2013%20vs%2015%20shot.htm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/r9eq11w.jpg
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for- like I said, I don't have a ton of rounds through mine as I mostly use the factory mouse trap mags.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely  nothing wrong with the Hii Power for a survival gun.  It is my 2nd choice, only because my 1911 is my first choice.  My 1911 is set up to ba able to go to other calibers.  But the Browning feels much better in the hand, has a higher mag capacity, and is parkerized for a bit better metal protection.

" />
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea it's a great option.  Are there better options now, sure.

It's amazing the attitude that if it's not the most current stuff it's a bad option.  Very prevalent on the internet.  As if your AR has picatinny rails or you have an AK you are totally screwed.

A G19 has some advantages in certain extreme durability situations.  It's also dumbed down enough to give it to a grunt.  Doesn't make a high power less effective.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What does this have to do with anything relevant to this thread?
View Quote
Nothing, those guys had zero control over the situation that killed them.  Wouldn't have mattered if they had a kitted out M4 with all the latest 2020 goodies.

In a survival situation the play is to stay the fuck away from the mob.  Not outshoot them, and certainly not try to do that with a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Not on my list due to availability of parts.
My family and I all have the 3rd generation 9mm Glock in case SHTF as they are proven reliable and are probably the most common handgun in America.  Not many parts to break on a Glock and when it happens parts are readily available along with magazines.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Mk II and Mk III BHP pistols and even carry one on occasion.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top