Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2019 9:18:00 PM EDT
I am setting up a buddies Gen 5 G19 MOS with an RMR and the stock trigger on this thing is amazing.  It is better in everyday to a well worn Gen 3 (with either the OEM "." or "-" connectors).

Update: it happened to me. Gen 5 trigger getting worse
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Always jump 2 versions ahead. Same thing with iPhones.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my G45 which is obviously a gen 5 pistol. Bone stock weekend before last in a friend's yard I was hitting 18" targets at 110yards. Plastic sights and all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, long time Gen 3 fan here too. Especially that “frying pan” glossy old Tennifer finish, but after playing with the gen 4 stippling and bigger mag release, I’m warming up to it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, same. I'm rocking an EARLY Gen3 (it's a two pin, not a three) G19 LEO trade-in that I've had for almost a decade now and love. I acquired a G34 Gen4 and am warming up to it quite a bit, and the G43 and G48 are amazing. I guess not all progress is bad, and rock music isn't the devil...
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]

laughs in gen 3
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My first Gen5 was a 45 I bought for a new duty gun.

I took it to a week long handgun training and shot 1000 rounds of 124 grain Blazer Brass and never had a stoppage and it was fresh out da box except for Ameriglos

I took it out to 70 yds at one point just playing a game.

I ended up shooting a perfect qualifIcation score.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
There’s legit reasons why Glock has come to the Gen5. Those small improvements are quite profound.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a Gen3 fanboy until my department bought Gen4 Glock 17s to replace our aging 21SF duty pistols

I came to the quick realization that the reduced blackstrap and improved texture made all my Gen3 guns feel like trash.  So I sold all my Gen3 guns to the purest and replaced them all with Gen4s.  Great decision and I have zero regrets for doing so.

If I were buying today it would be Gen5 FS non-mos models for me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I never was a fan of the Gen4. I really like the new Gen 5s and switched out myself. I do not like the MOS stuff though. I tried a G34.5 and did not like it at all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the improvements in the Gen 5, but I'm not a fan of the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
My first handgun was a gen 4 19, I did look at a gen 3 17, but I didnt like the little button they had for the mag release. It felt like I was searching for the mag release, while its damn near under my thumb on the Gen 4/5s.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#12]
The gen 4 was a step back.

Poor trigger and increased risk of cracking the rear rail.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Love my Gen 3 G19’s but they required a lot of trigger and grip work (which I did myself). My G34.5 and G43 are amazing with a little polishing of the factory parts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gen 4 was a step back.

Poor trigger and increased risk of cracking the rear rail.
View Quote
Huh?  That's the first I've heard of this.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
increased risk of cracking the rear rail.
View Quote
Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry I had it backwards. But to be fair - this was posted 4+ years ago.

He goes into it in more detail in subsequent posts further down the page.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/High-round-count-pistols-100-000-observations/4-160140/&r=1776331&dlnk=1#i1776331
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
glad you liked it. Overall, the gen 5 is the better gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea. It may be dumb but I'm gonna sell all my gen 3 19s and go gen 5. I got some GSSF certs so ...

eta. I may keep 1
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yea. It may be dumb but I'm gonna sell all my gen 3 19s and go gen 5. I got some GSSF certs so ...

eta. I may keep 1
View Quote
I have 3 Gen3 19s and a 23.  They are worth keeping for backup/ stash guns.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I've handled several gen5 guns and own a 19.  It's the same trigger
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I've handled several gen5 guns and own a 19.  It's the same trigger
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
The larger magazine release button is making a 19.5 my next purchase. No more grip shuffle to drop a mag? Sign me up.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#23]
That’s purdy!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I've owned and shot a shitload of Glocks going back to Gen2.

Don't get too excited.

Every. Single. Fucking. Gen5.  Trigger gets significantly heavier and grittier as the round count goes up.

I bought a pair of luscious Gen5 17s.  One got a few  mags of HST and went in the safe, one has been shot a bunch and carried daily.

Was noticing that I couldn't hold the front sight still while dry-firing the one I use.   Pulled out the spare to compare...  Night and day difference.  The usin' gun's trigger is utter shit compared to what it was a few thousand rounds ago.

Same experience as the first set of Gen5s I ran back in '17.

Same as my 43s.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't get too excited.

Every. Single. Fucking. Gen5.  Trigger gets significantly heavier and grittier as the round count goes up.

I bought a pair of luscious Gen5 17s.  One got a few  mags of HST and went in the safe, one has been shot a bunch and carried daily.

Was noticing that I couldn't hold the front sight still while dry-firing the one I use.   Pulled out the spare to compare...  Night and day difference.  The usin' gun's trigger is utter shit compared to what it was a few thousand rounds ago.

Same as my 43s.
View Quote
This has been my experience, too, with two 19 Gen 5's and a 45. My 43X is still very nice after 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t like the Gen. 5 trigger. I’m ambivalent about the dual slide stop.

I do like the flared mag well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have you tried putting a drop of oil where the connector contacts the trigger bar?
View Quote
Literally every time I shoot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I have three Gen 3 guns and one Gen 4. After buying the G45 I want to Gen 5 all the things. At a minimum I will purchase a Gen 5 19 and 34 this year.  The old guns will be relegated to beating around in the vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you tried putting a drop of oil where the connector contacts the trigger bar?
View Quote
This is usually whats needed.  I pit a dab of grease on a toothpick to apply it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Have not noticed any difference in trigger of Gen5 over Gen4, other than the dot connector lightens pull a little.

Have not noticed trigger getting heavier either, after about 3000 rounds in a 34.5 and a 2000 in 17.5.  Just checked both with gauge too and same.

My fav gen5 features:

ambi release (lefty here).
backstraps
no finger grooves
flared mag well
MOS
Rest is DNC.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't get too excited.

Same as my 43s.
View Quote
@samuse

How many rounds we talking about until it degrades?

What parts are wearing? Have you taken it apart to inspect?

You can rebuild all the components for like $30 (trigger bar, connector, channel liner, drop safety, etc)

ETA:  not doubting your experience but seems if this was a systemic issue we'd see lots more complaints.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@samuse

You can rebuild all the components for like $30 (trigger bar, connector, channel liner, drop safety, etc)

ETA:  not doubting your experience but seems if this was a systemic issue we'd see lots more complaints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get too excited.

Same as my 43s.
@samuse

I'm not the only one.

I have about 3500 on the one I shoot a lot, I noticed it was worse  at about 2K.

The metal parts are fine, I think it's the channel liner getting galled or rough against the spring cups.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I finally caved and bought a glock. here in CA all we get are gen 3. I have come to the realization that the g19 is made for 12 year olds with tiny hands.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm not the only one.

I have about 3500 on the one I shoot a lot, I noticed it was worse  at about 2K.

The metal parts are fine, I think it's the channel liner getting galled or rough against the spring cups.
View Quote
I've read other reports of this happening. I meant it seems it's not very common.

Maybe I'm wrong and people just don't shoot their guns
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
You know it is great that I came into this thread.

I have a Glock 43 that I have about 1800 rounds through. I swore the trigger got worse after shooting it. I thought I was going crazy but I guess I am not.

I am picking up a brand new Gen5 G19 either tomorrow or Tuesday. I guess I will see how it goes with that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Well shoot why don't you guys having issues detail strip and inspect and determine root cause?

If I had a trigger degrade I'd want to isolate the cause resolve it ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally caved and bought a glock. here in CA all we get are gen 3. I have come to the realization that the g19 is made for 12 year olds with tiny hands.
View Quote
Yep.  17FTW
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well shoot why don't you guys having issues detail strip and inspect and determine root cause?

View Quote
I have.  The only thing that doesn't look brand new is the spring cups and channel liner.

But they don't really  look different than other  Glocks.

On my 19s and 43s I had coating come off that I thought was the problem, but wasn't.

I'm still thinking channel liner as it's worse when it's hot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I had a Gen 3 G17 that I had milled for an RMR and front serration. I bought a 17-5 MOS and G45. I have dince given the Gen 3 yo my son. The Gen 5 just fells and shoots better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly I thought it was me. It is like the trigger goes from crisp to "crunchy" over time.

I have noticed some wear on the firing pin safety block surface where the trigger bar rides on it and on the firing pin where the trigger bar rides on it also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice setup.

Who did the frame work?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#44]
When I saw this, it brought my back to the DustyC Glock Stipling thread

I've really enjoy my Gen 3's and Gen 4.  I do not own any Gen5's yet.   What has been the other big differences besides the trigger function?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
I know what you mean OP.  Gen 5 is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

eta. I may keep 1
View Quote
Hit me up when you decide to sell.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Honestly I thought it was me. It is like the trigger goes from crisp to "crunchy" over time.

I have noticed some wear on the firing pin safety block surface where the trigger bar rides on it and on the firing pin where the trigger bar rides on it also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  That's shitty.

@samuse, are you aware if Glock has acknowledged or is addressed this problem?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Tagged.

Just picked up a G45 MOS and 19x, rest of the fleet is Gen 3s, so would like to see the outcome of the above trigger issues
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am setting up a buddies Gen 5 G19 MOS with an RMR and the stock trigger on this thing is amazing.  It is better in everyday to a well worn Gen 3 (with either the OEM "." or "-" connectors).
View Quote
But what about how high up the dot sits with the RMR? I have a milled M&P, would like a Glock MOS but worried the damn thing will be too high.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm not the only one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get too excited.

Same as my 43s.
@samuse

I'm not the only one.

I think it's the striker assembly too. Debris gets in the firing pin hole and causes dragging in the liner, cups, striker block area.

Right after gen 5 19s came out, I bought one and shot it for several weeks with no issues, about 500 rounds. Then something happened that I have never heard of before or after.

One day after I had been shooting my 19.5, something brass(primer debris or case shaving IDK) was left in the firing pin hole and worked it's way further in the channel, wedging the striker, locking up the trigger in the forward position. I never had a Glock trigger lock up before but I knew I needed to disassemble it. I pulled the trigger hard enough to snap the tail off the striker. I didn't notice it actually broke until I put the slide back on and tried to dry fire it but nothing happened. Oddly, I had worked the action and dry fired it several times and all seemed fine just before the trigger locked up.

The brass debris worked it's way in just the wrong place. It came out once I got it apart. It seems pretty isolated now but I know if it happens again, I will pull the striker out of the back with the slide still on the frame. I definitely clean it more often there than before.

IMO I think Glock placed the striker block too close to the breech end. It gets dirty fast in that area when shooting and has the potential to cause dragging if solid debris gets in there. I see why they placed it there to be retained the extractor however.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top