Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2021 10:05:18 PM EDT
I’m considering both of these pistols. I own several other handguns, this will be a jack of all trades. I will likely carry occasionally, shoot at the range, and potentially use in a home defense role. I own several Sigs and a Beretta 92, I like them all. Does anyone here have any opinion regarding which of these two pistols they prefer?  Price is pretty comparable, that’s not really a factor in my decision.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Turkish knockoff, or Beretta royalty...not really much of a decision there. The only reason to buy an Arex is if you can't afford one of the guns it's a copy of.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Turkish knockoff, or Beretta royalty...not really much of a decision there. The only reason to buy an Arex is if you can't afford one of the guns it's a copy of.
View Quote
Oh please. You can buy 226 and 229's for less than Arex's. A good option is a good option regardless if it is an original manufacturer or not. Having this discussion on AR15.com of all places should make that apparent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's Slovenian, not Turkish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 92x Centurion. Out of the box the damn thing shot 4" low at 10&15 yds with multiple shooters. Figured the OEM sights  or at least the ones on this gun were messed up. Bought the factory suppressor sights figuring the couldn't mess up twice. They are a improvement but still shoot 1-2" low at that distance. Maybe I just hold this particular pistol different than all others,even tho it does feel like the greatest pistol in hand!! Did have a Rex zero one once and am looking at the tactical model again...My other one shot well as good as any P226 i've ever owned
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe Berettas shooting low is a common phenomenon.

With the help of math and some precise measurements,  I was able to get mine POA=POI on the first attempt;  ordering the exact height rear sight from Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh please. You can buy 226 and 229's for less than Arex's. A good option is a good option regardless if it is an original manufacturer or not. Having this discussion on AR15.com of all places should make that apparent.
View Quote

Woah woah woah there. Where can you buy a 226 and 229 for less than a cheap knock off Arex? Don't spew bullshit because you couldn't really afford to join the club so you settled for the "kinda sorta from a distance".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Red box Sig's are/were $450-500 all day.

There's a 229 .40 in the EE right now for just over $500, iirc.

And no, I haven't bought either. I just don't feel the need to stick my nose needlessly in the air when fanboys rattle their trap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a 92x Centurion. Out of the box the damn thing shot 4" low at 10&15 yds with multiple shooters. Figured the OEM sights  or at least the ones on this gun were messed up. Bought the factory suppressor sights figuring the couldn't mess up twice. They are a improvement but still shoot 1-2" low at that distance. Maybe I just hold this particular pistol different than all others,even tho it does feel like the greatest pistol in hand!! Did have a Rex zero one once and am looking at the tactical model again...My other one shot well as good as any P226 i've ever owned
View Quote

Just curious, but did you put the front dot on the target? Beretta's use the sight picture 3 that comes up on the googles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Turkish?

I'd opt for a 92 series over a 226 or derivative (the Rex Zero is an evolution of the Zastava CZ99/999) as well but the Rex Zero is not some shitty Turkish clone.

It is made in Slovenia in a state of the art facility.  It can be viewed on youtube.

Quoted:

Woah woah woah there. Where can you buy a 226 and 229 for less than a cheap knock off Arex? Don't spew bullshit because you couldn't really afford to join the club so you settled for the "kinda sorta from a distance".

I've never owned in Arex but I've owned many US made SIGs, whose quality is nothing to brag about.  I won't buy another but I would consider an Arex.

Quoted:

And no, I haven't bought either. I just don't feel the need to stick my nose needlessly in the air when fanboys rattle their trap.

Haha .40 caliber of course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

And there it is...Comparing a used gun's value to a new gun of lesser value to justify being broke.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And there it is...Comparing a used gun's value to a new gun of lesser value to justify being broke.
View Quote
They're within $100-200 of  most of Sigs 226/229's, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're within $100-200 of  most of Sigs 226/229's, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
View Quote

Rex is around $600-650 and can be found without any trouble at all

Sig P229 plain Jane will run you around $900+ IF you can find one in stock. Not to mention the good thing about Sig is you can have it any flavor you want from a M11A1 to a P229 Legion or dive into finding a limited edition older one. Your pocket book is the limit.

Again you are comparing a new Camaro to a Corvette and making the argument that it's basically the same. Nah brah
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sig P229 plain Jane will run you around $900+ IF you can find one in stock. Not to mention the good thing about Sig is you can have it any flavor you want from a M11A1 to a P229 Legion or dive into finding a limited edition older one. Your pocket book is the limit.

Again you are comparing a new Camaro to a Corvette and making the argument that it's basically the same. Nah brah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Arex is probably the better built gun between it and most Sigs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still a knock off even if it is. I'll stick to the real things and leave the clones to you guys.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
And it was like $749 or $775 when I saw them at Brownells, putting them well within $200 of many of Sig's models.

Sig loves to cater to you elitist fanboys that somehow think they are the only ones with a hammer forge, CNC, or source their mags from Italy and charge you fools $50 for them (while MecGar or ACT sell them for $20-25).

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And it was like $749 or $775 when I saw them at Brownells, putting them well within $200 of many of Sig's models.

View Quote

Oh yea? We're going to go by "once upon a time I saw"? I figured we would go by current availability and prices for some reason. You gotta let me know the criteria of this debate to use so it fits your logic the most seeing as how reality definitely isn't considered.

Keep enjoying your clones while I go wipe down my German Sigs and H&K pistols.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still a knock off even if it is. I'll stick to the real things and leave the clones to you guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more of a derivative of a Walther P88 than a Sig.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't care
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I own several Sigs and a Beretta 92, I like them all. Does anyone here have any opinion regarding which of these two pistols they prefer?  Price is pretty comparable, that’s not really a factor in my decision.  
View Quote

Not wanting to join the purse swinging in the above posts, let's look at the purchase from a clinical, post-purchase point of view, shall we?

First of all, spare mags. I can buy Beretta 92 mags by Checkmate pretty darn cheap. I've used Checkmate for years in IPSC, had no issues at all with them. At one gun show (end of the day Sun) I bought a handful still in the wrap for $12 each. Yes, I know that was several years ago but still one can always find 92 mags, IMO.

Secondly, trigger improvement(s). I can easily buy all sorts of things from Wolff, Beretta or Brownells to greatly improve the trigger on a 92. Can that be done on an Arex? I honestly don't know.

Thirdly, spare parts. What happens if a firing pin breaks? Or some other internal part? I can get a 92 part pretty darn easy & PDQ. No clue about the Arex parts.

Is the Arex a complete clone of a Sig? I don't know which is why I'm asking. Do the mags & parts all interchange? If they do, then the decision comes down to ergonomics, IMO. Which one fits your hand(s) better, IOW.

I know *I* don't like rails, which is another reason *I* prefer the FS models. Another thing to answer.

Accuracy? My 92's all have their OEM barrels, they're that good. How accurate are the Arex models?

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't care
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care

Then why should anyone take your opinion into consideration?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to actually identify the gun correctly. They're made in Slovenia. I like my Delta.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I know almost nothing about the Rex Zero 1 other than they’re supposed to be really well made and designed guns. I have one showing up in the next couple days to check out. I hope it’s good, but one strike it gets no matter what is support. It’s just not supported like other stuff whether it’s factory parts or aftermarket. You’ll be able to buy springs for that Beretta down the road, will you be able to still get them for the Rex?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:56:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I believe Berettas shooting low is a common phenomenon.

With the help of math and some precise measurements,  I was able to get mine POA=POI on the first attempt;  ordering the exact height rear sight from Wilson Combat.
View Quote

It definitely is, two of the four 92 Beretta series pistols I’ve owned shot low.  That would annoy me a lot.  Leaning toward the Arex, but still kicking it around.  

Just to reiterate, I’ve owned numerous Sig P 22x series guns and several 92’s along with several HKs and Glocks.  Money and magazine cost isn’t a factor between these two pistols.  Just looking for the better gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I went down the same path. Almost pulled the trigger on a Sig 229, but I don't really like how Sig has been using their customer base as their T&E team in recent years. Takes them several generations to release a product the proper way. Then I would have had to send it out to be milled for an optic, which I didn't really want to do because I'm impatient I went with the Rex Zero 1 TC. It gave me all the features I desired out of the box, the optics mounting system is actually good and comes with all the plates (way better than something like the Glock MOS system), the price is right, and the quality/machining is top notch.

Magazines are reasonably priced but not super available at the moment. Spare parts are here but not in huge numbers, but can be ordered from overseas (for now, Jan. 2021). My biggest gripe is holster options at this point. I did find a decent holster from a company called Renassaince, although I had to custom make my own optics hood for it, but Safariland ALS is out of the question which is always a bummer for me. Anyways, shoots like a dream and no regrets here. It's my go-to setup.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You post some WTF s**t, but "justify being broke?" Heaven forbid people try something new on the market.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You post some WTF s**t, but "justify being broke?" Heaven forbid people try something new on the market.
View Quote

Hey, it will still get you from point A to B amirite

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://images.spot.im/v1/production/w4ovziktw8ywaam4wmaj
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images.spot.im/v1/production/w4ovziktw8ywaam4wmaj

Have you tried a recent production Sig, or are you basing your views on your West German?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Have you tried a recent production Sig, or are you basing your views on your West German?
View Quote

I would take a recent production Sig over a clone of anything 7 days a week. If for anything more than support from the gun community. Not to mention I know for facts the company will be around 10 years from now. (although they do stop support for firearms that are obsolete after a while)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#29]
The last time I saw a Rex was right after they came out, and were like $800.  Seemed expensive for what it was, but that was right when the market was getting inundated with surplus SIG DAKs.

If it's $600, that might make it a bit more tempting.  Seemed well put together.

That being said, I love my old 92.  Getting one with a straight dust cover and radiused grip makes a difference, as does a G conversion.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The last time I saw a Rex was right after they came out, and were like $800.  Seemed expensive for what it was, but that was right when the market was getting inundated with surplus SIG DAKs.

If it's $600, that might make it a bit more tempting.  Seemed well put together.

That being said, I love my old 92.  Getting one with a straight dust cover and radiused grip makes a difference, as does a G conversion.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/A5A79F76-142C-4D1E-B12D-98932BC6F065-1539487.jpg

View Quote

Weird when they came out they were like 500 to 550 on GB.

Even now the threaded/optic model isn't that high.

After the youtube shills made their videos prices got in the 600 to 650 range for a bit before going back down.

As nice as they are for the price they will never really move up that high in cost because they will remain largely unknown outside of the hard-core gun community and have almost no aftermarket parts or accessories.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As nice as they are for the price they will never really move up that high in cost because they will remain largely unknown outside of the hard-core gun community and have almost no aftermarket parts or accessories.
View Quote

Shhhhhhh they get angry when you point out obvious things
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but people opining on things they're ignorant about is another story.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So have you had a Rex or shot one?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would take a recent production Sig over a clone of anything 7 days a week. If for anything more than support from the gun community. Not to mention I know for facts the company will be around 10 years from now. (although they do stop support for firearms that are obsolete after a while)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, whatever man. Enjoy your outsourced and MIM-infested junk. Pay $1000 for a goofy-ass spartan symbol and a challenge coin.

I say this as a long-time Sig owner; the modern iterations are no comparison to the West German models, and an Arex is built as well as any of those. Disassembling either the Rex Zero 1 or the 1CP, and the internals look 100% better than any produced currently by Sig.

The poster above was also correct, in that it outwardly resembles a P226, but the mechanical operation is much more derived from the Walther P88. Side-by-side with my P88, they are quite similar internally.

I will, and have, taken several pistols from a company that runs a facility like this:

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kcode98,
As others have pointed out, the Arex isn’t really a copy of a Sig.  Before I researched it, I incorrectly thought it was as well.  I like that it can be carried cocked and locked, it also performed better than any other handgun in Macs Gauntlet test on YouTube, much better than current sigs.  I still a few Sigs, two of them are pre-Ron Cohen, the newest is from 2010.  The newer models I have cheapened in manufacturing and quality, but I’ve gone up significantly in price.  A real turn off for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#36]
The Rex seems to be a fairly high-quality design, but there's nothing compelling about it IMO.   Price could change that, but they don't seem to be much, if any, less expensive than more established brands.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the AREX is made in Slovenia.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So have you had a Rex or shot one?
View Quote

He doesn't care
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so Slovakia...how does that improve it? (Other than, not being made by Turks )

It's still a copy, hell...a copy of a copy. Admittedly what they copied off of was a good gun, but then they went and did weird shit with it, like add a thumb safety. Why? One more thing to get in the way. It'd be better IMO if it didn't have the thumb safety; just kept the decocker/slide stop. Then, I might be interested in it...what about parts? Are those available? I can order/get spare parts and competition/"upgrade" parts for a Beretta anywhere...a quick google only shows one real source of repair/spare parts for the Arex?

I still wouldn't put it near the same pedestal as a current 9X-G Centurion...the only reason I don't have one of those, is because I already have a WC Brig Tac and a 92A1, and can't justify the Centurion
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ok, so Slovakia...how does that improve it? (Other than, not being made by Turks )

It's still a copy, hell...a copy of a copy. Admittedly what they copied off of was a good gun, but then they went and did weird shit with it, like add a thumb safety. Why? One more thing to get in the way. It'd be better IMO if it didn't have the thumb safety; just kept the decocker/slide stop. Then, I might be interested in it...what about parts? Are those available? I can order/get spare parts and competition/"upgrade" parts for a Beretta anywhere...a quick google only shows one real source of repair/spare parts for the Arex?

I still wouldn't put it near the same pedestal as a current 9X-G Centurion...the only reason I don't have one of those, is because I already have a WC Brig Tac and a 92A1, and can't justify the Centurion
View Quote

No, Slovenia.

The safety adds options, some people may prefer C&L.

If it is "in the way" then so is the slide release on every SIG P22x.  Admittedly that is the case for some though which is why the Legions have tiny slide releases.  Many people then complain about them being hard to operate though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, Slovenia.

If it is "in the way" then so is the slide release on every SIG P22x.  Admittedly that is the case for some though which is why the Legions have tiny slide releases.  Many people then complain about them being hard to operate though.
View Quote

In what way does the slide release on a Sig block access to the slide? Not sure what that has to do with anything?

Put the safety on on an Arex and then try to rack the slide....yeaaaaah. It gets in the way, bigly. The slide stop/release on a Sig is in a great location and doesn't block a thing. The combo decocker/slide release on the Arex is fine. The thumb safety...IMO, no bueno. Shouldn't be there, but my understanding is that because they're a Euro thing, the guns basically need to be designed for gun golf since they're not really designed as service weapons or carry weapons because...that's not a European thing... hence being able to start cocked and locked for some divisions, hence a thumb safety...so, they had to make a crap design decision. Oh well.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In what way does the slide release on a Sig block access to the slide? Not sure what that has to do with anything?

Put the safety on on an Arex and then try to rack the slide....yeaaaaah. It gets in the way, bigly. The slide stop/release on a Sig is in a great location and doesn't block a thing. The combo decocker/slide release on the Arex is fine. The thumb safety...IMO, no bueno. Shouldn't be there, but my understanding is that because they're a Euro thing, the guns basically need to be designed for gun golf since they're not really designed as service weapons or carry weapons because...that's not a European thing... hence being able to start cocked and locked for some divisions, hence a thumb safety...so, they had to make a crap design decision. Oh well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Slovenia.

Sig's slide release is so far to the rear that a high grip will often cause you to depress the slide release and prevent the gun from locking back on the last shot -- hence why the reduced the size of the lever on the Legion, which has the adverse effect of making the release lever difficult to operate.

No, it is designed as a duty/carry piece. Just because you don't like manual safeties doesn't mean that makes them bad.

If you want to rack the slide with the safety on, use the forward serrations. Or just put the thing off safe and rack with the rear serrations, the same as a 1911, BHP, SAO 226, etc. It's not rocket science, JFC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is kind of a dumb take.  There are people who can afford the real thing but the reality is that sometimes the knock-offs can be better or just as good.  Case in point: Tanfoglio Witnesses and IWI Jerichos are knock-offs of the CZ-75 and are just as good of a gun as the CZ.  Tanfoglio makes some super sick race guns.

As long as a gun is built well, reliable, and in line with the original design specifications of whatever it is knocking off I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is kind of a dumb take.  There are people who can afford the real thing but the reality is that sometimes the knock-offs can be better or just as good.  Case in point: Tanfoglio Witnesses and IWI Jerichos are knock-offs of the CZ-75 and are just as good of a gun as the CZ.  Tanfoglio makes some super sick race guns.

As long as a gun is built well, reliable, and in line with the original design specifications of whatever it is knocking off I don't care.
View Quote

Yea I know, I was just fucking with the guys earlier.

The Rex is a fine gun, I just don't like the safety part of it. I'm anti manual safety on any handgun. Make a decocker only version plz.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I finally picked up my Rex Zero 1T from my dealer yesterday. I bought it second hand with a few hundred rounds on it and that looks to be the case and everything appears normal and this is a sample size of one, but it honestly kinda sucks. The trigger is fucking atrocious, the whole action when racking the slide is super clanky, the mag release has a sloppy fit and drags/catches, and the feeling of the rest of the controls is about equally bad.

I still disagree with it being a Sig clone because aside from it being a DA/SA and looking a little bit like a P226 it really doesn’t share any other similarities. Also anyone comparing this to a Sig as saying the build quality is just as good, well you need your damn head examined. It may be as reliable as a P226, I wouldn’t know and won’t know since I’m not even going to shoot this turd but they are not the same as far as build quality. Even my 2013 P226 Scorpion Elite which was built when Sig quality was supposedly down is a superb piece compared to this. Even the well worn LE trade in Sigs I have bought have felt better. This gun should really cost $300-$400 and then it may not be a horrible buy, $700-$800 new for the Tactical model like I bought is absurd though for what you’re getting because the build quality doesn’t begin to match up to that.

So I’m going to chalk up “Arex is just as good as a Sig” as something poors say and send this thing down the road.

The MecGar mags seem nice and the optic ready system seems like it’s better designed than the Glock MOS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Glad to know a knock off is of knock off quality.

Thanks for your review. I'll continue to never buy one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Glad to know a knock off is of knock off quality.

Thanks for your review. I'll continue to never buy one.
View Quote

Well it’s still not a knock off of a Sig.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well it’s still not a knock off of a Sig.
View Quote

It's the number 1 gun that Rex Zero is compared to
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because people are unfamiliar with the P88.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because Sig makes the top selling metal frame DA/SA gun out there. Is anything other than the gold standard a “knockoff” of it? No. Glocks are probably the #1 selling striker fired and the gold standard as far as they go, does that make every other striker gun a Glock knockoff? No.

The Rex is a European DA/SA pistol, it has some visual similarities to a Sig but that’s about where it ends. They’re pretty different in both quality and design.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top