Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 10:59:06 AM EDT
How durable are the Taran tactical +5/6 baseplates? Are repeated drops on concrete/rocks etc ok?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully cause I just got one today to try it out!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully cause I just got one today to try it out!
View Quote
Report back and let us know how you like it. I’d like to pick up at least one for competitions but if they break dropping on hard surfaces then that obviously won’t work for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using them in 3gun and steel competition for many years without a hiccup.  Lots of mag drops, often with many rounds left, that would make many cringe. Only thing to watch for is the pin likes to walk a little bit after lots of use. Push it back in, done.

The +6 is a fantasy.  Always load mine to 22 rounds for reliability.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It still likes to walk out even with the set screw tightened down?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Solid aluminum...very robust.
View Quote
I’ve seen them die in uspsa when conditions are rainy and mildly muddy. I just use the Glock +2 on g17 mags for 19rds. Works for me and has been 100% reliable in CO. That said, M and GM folks still use them in competition.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Been using them for awhile now in uspsa.
If they can survive uspsa they are good to go, and they do.
I do get a reloadable 23 rounds with a gen 4 g17 mag. I did have one on an FDE gen5 g17 mag that was too tight for 23 rounds reliably, so I guess it comes down to the tolerance of each factory mag in that regard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have quite a few. They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. Very durable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It still likes to walk out even with the set screw tightened down?
View Quote
In my experience, yes.

Even with loctite and cranking down on the small screw, the pin still walks. IIRC, that was by design.

I no longer use TTI extensions after having a few issues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve shot a few USPSA matches with them and so far they’ve been great. You might get some minor scratches or dings if you’re dropping them on rocks. I can’t give any long term reviews since it’s only been 4 months.

Several other shooters use them without issue.

Since were on the subject of TT, the only issues I’ve seen is when people put a +10 on a Glock 33 round stick mag. Several shooters have had the same problem when loading to capacity or even 1-2 under capacity. What seems to be happening is when firing the first few rounds it fails to feed. It seems to be catching where the mag body and extension meet.
This is on the Gen 1 mag extensions. I haven’t seen anyone using the lightweight models yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen Taran mags eat the lips of glock mags causing 22  rounds to fly out when making ready during a match. Also had a few feed issues with TTI extensions on my g19, 43, and 17. switched to Dawson precision for competition and no issues yet
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I e had too many Tarans walk off of mags, come apart when dropped on concrete, etc. the only extensions I use now are Dawson’s. Outside of that, I just OEM extended mags.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've seen Taran mags eat the lips of glock mags causing 22  rounds to fly out when making ready during a match. Also had a few feed issues with TTI extensions on my g19, 43, and 17. switched to Dawson precision for competition and no issues yet
View Quote
I switched from the Dawson's to the tarans.
I wonder if it's more of a problem that the glock mags are thin metal and plastic, and they can't handle mag extensions after a few years.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
As above posters have said, in my experience the pins are the weak point. They walk out no matter what you do, and if you're not diligent with keeping on top of them, you can lose a baseplate at an unfortunate moment. Other than that, the thickass aluminum they use should be more durable than the rest of the magazine, so I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

I like Springer Precision baseplates; they use a set screw that cranks upwards and locks it in against the mag body. VERY secure, never had an issue and I kinda beat mine to death.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As above posters have said, in my experience the pins are the weak point. They walk out no matter what you do, and if you're not diligent with keeping on top of them, you can lose a baseplate at an unfortunate moment. Other than that, the thickass aluminum they use should be more durable than the rest of the magazine, so I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

I like Springer Precision baseplates; they use a set screw that cranks upwards and locks it in against the mag body. VERY secure, never had an issue and I kinda beat mine to death.
View Quote
You do know the Taran tactical base plates also have a set screw ???
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You do know the Taran tactical base plates also have a set screw ???
View Quote
Did you read the other posts? The pins walk out regardless of set screw tension. The other plates I was referring to, use the set screw against the mag body directly, no pin.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I have ran mine fairly hard for about 3 years now.

Agree with the above statement that they aren’t holding 6.

Other than that- no issues at all.

This picture is about a year old- they are wearing but hold up pretty good.

Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple of TT extensions and so far no issues. I also have a few factory +2's
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one and it caused serious issues, I could feel the rounds moving up in the mag after the slide closed and had several stoppages. I took it apart, checked everything over, and reassembled it a few times with no change. When I took it off the mag worked perfect so I think I just tossed the extension and spring in the trash. I'm probably the only person that's ever had trouble with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top