Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 3:11:58 PM EDT
Lucky Gunner doesn't show them in their gel tests.
Can't find much about them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
At this point, you'd be lucky to find them or even FMJ. I have used silvertips and still have some in other calibers and I think they are good stuff but I haven't run tests on them. Shot placement correct, it will keel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If it ran 100% in the gun, I wouldn't have a problem using it.
Not sure I'd want to buy enough JHP at today's prices to feel comfortable switching loads though.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/03/21/winchester-45-acp-185gr-silvertip-jhp-in-clear-ballistics-gel/
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend gave me a couple boxes of these.
I usually prefer Speer Gold Dots in any caliber.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, and... while there is better current bullet tech, if the 185gr Silvertip is avilable, and all you have ... it is "better" then a FMJ.
Silvertips have always tended to lose their jackets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it ran 100% in the gun, I wouldn't have a problem using it.
Not sure I'd want to buy enough JHP at today's prices to feel comfortable switching loads though.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/03/21/winchester-45-acp-185gr-silvertip-jhp-in-clear-ballistics-gel/

This, and... while there is better current bullet tech, if the 185gr Silvertip is avilable, and all you have ... it is "better" then a FMJ.
Silvertips have always tended to lose their jackets.

I would choose fmj of the 185gr .45. Those tests show underwhelming penetration.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Buffman did a good test of them about a year ago. Maybe if he sees this OP, he will post a link. I thought the ST 185gr did very well according to his test.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a .45.  Just about any .45 hollowpoint is a decent stopper and performer.  A .45 caliber bullet may not expand much, but it sure ain't getting any smaller either.  I am a 230 grain bullet guy in .45.  Hard to beat that track record.  Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger's, even WW white box hp's all  will put considerable holes in your target.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
They’ve been upgraded and are not the same silver tips of the 90’s.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I use SilverTips interchangeable between 200 grain Speer Gold Dots and the 200 grain SilverTips in .44Special with zero trepidation...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
185 gr Silvertip likely has no problems expanding, but the penetration is a bit of an unknown.

Clear gel unfortunately does not produce results consistent with normal 10% organic gel, nor is the inconsistency itself consistent from bullet to bullet - as a result, it is also very difficult to scale the results to organic gelatin.

The best that can really be said is that 185 gr Silvertip might be capable of consistently penetrating to the 12 inch mark and almost certainly penetrates at least 10 inches when fired from a 5" barrel. Regular 12+ inches of penetration is okay even if the odd bullet falls slightly below that mark. A normal penetration range of 10-12 inches on the other hand is pretty mediocre but probably still beats FMJ.

Otherwise, the expansion is certainly not unimpressive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top