Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2019 9:18:53 PM EDT
Any love?  Just picked one up.  Can’t wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one waiting to pick one up used, the price for a NIB is a little stupid!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By P08:
I want one waiting to pick one up used, the price for a NIB is a little stupid!
View Quote
I agree with you - to an extent.

On the other hand:

- the Archon is a purpose-built competition pistol designed to win combat pistol competition, otherwise known as the United States Practical Shooting Association ( “USPSA” ) and overseas as “ipsc”

- the Archon’s target Division is Production Division, and the dominant polymer gun in Production is the Glock 34: MSRP seems to be around $650.

- the Glock 34 only comes with 2 magazines, and you need at least 4 or 5 to compete; Glock magazines at my local store usually sell for $30 (yeah, I know mail order is cheaper).   So add $90 to the Glock’s price, and you are at $740 - not far off the Archon price.

- the Archon comes complete with 4 mags, plus the trigger is ready to go.

- With a Glock, no competitor I know uses a completely “stock” trigger - meaning they spent additional $$ on their Glock 34.

As is, I bought an SP-01 years ago - but it is a heavy steel 9mm with very different recoil impulse than any polymer gun.  I still use a Glock for 3gun.  Edit: Yes - 9mm recoil isn’t that bad, but combat pistol competition stages are won by fractions of a second, and managing even 9mm recoil can mean the different between winning and 2nd place.

Might buy an Archon; looks awesome for competition.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The only problems I see with the Archon, is market support and longevity. It is a neat design but at least with Glocks, you can get anything you want for them pretty quick and in more locations.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My coworker has one, it shoots pretty nicely and does look neat. One thing that i thought was odd was the way you swith the magazine to the other side. Although quite clever, I am not particularly a fan of it. If you have someone new to shooting keep an eye on how they insert the magazine, if they insert the magazine in backwards, your mag release will fall to the floor.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Been waiting for the optic ready model for quite awhile. As soon as it drops I'm picking one up. I really wish Safariland would make ALS holsters for it, but I'm curious if it happens to fit in an ALS holster designed for something similar like a Glock, M&P, VP9, etc..
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been great.
The warranty they come with is transferable for life.
The company will provide a loaner if you use it defensively and are in the right, until you get yours back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ken_mays] [#7]
It's not a gun I would want to devote a lot of time to shooting.   I think there are better choices for competition.

What I like about mine: accurate, pretty ergonomic, well made, good sights.

What I don't like: the trigger has some gritty creep that makes it difficult to execute a smooth pull during the final striker release.    Mags don't drop free because the heel of my hand is pressing against the baseplate.

Mine won't fit Glock holsters.   I have VP9, P320 and Steyr L9 holsters it will fit, with some loosening of the retention screws.  Some P320 holsters will fit, some won't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot it more.  They break in better trigger wise.  You just dropped $1k on it and don't have a decent holster for it?  Have one made.  I see folks spending that much and go get so cheap nylon Uncle X holster.

Strike one might be better for your hand size.  All of this test fitting should have been done prior to purchase to make sure it's a best fit for you.  

Kinda of like buying a car....look it over, look it over some more, test drive, bring it home for weekend, check maintenance issues from mechanics, call insurance for quotes, look it over some more....buy it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DOE:
Shoot it more.  They break in better trigger wise.  You just dropped $1k on it and don't have a decent holster for it?  Have one made.  I see folks spending that much and go get so cheap nylon Uncle X holster.

Strike one might be better for your hand size.  All of this test fitting should have been done prior to purchase to make sure it's a best fit for you.  

Kinda of like buying a car....look it over, look it over some more, test drive, bring it home for weekend, check maintenance issues from mechanics, call insurance for quotes, look it over some more....buy it.
View Quote

I have about $600 in it.   I wouldn't be inclined to pay more specifically because of the issues that I had noted before acquiring mine.  Still, I think it's a neat enough design that I would like to own one, despite my complaints.  The majority of my pistols fall into that category, for that matter.

I don't see a pressing need to make a holster for it, given that I won't carry or (probably) compete with it.    I can use the L9 holster until then; the one I have is a good fit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
i will buy one when i can find it for sub $700
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By evnash:
i will buy one when i can find it for sub $700
View Quote

found one on the EE. will be here this week and will shoot it this weekend in USPSA match

Ive read that MecGar CZ 75 B mags work in the Archon. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ 75B mags do not latch into the Archon.   They fit into the magwell but the mag catch is too high.  It could be possible to raise the hole in the magazine, but I would do more research before attempting.  Also, they stick out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
CZ 75B mags do not latch into the Archon.   They fit into the magwell but the mag catch is too high.  It could be possible to raise the hole in the magazine, but I would do more research before attempting.  Also, they stick out quite a bit.
View Quote

Thanks. I read that m&p extensions work on the archon mags.

Have you heard of any other mags that are comparable?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

No, but I've done zero reading about it other than a couple of typical gun rag pieces.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI i created a FB group for those interested. join if you would like to share pix, videos, and info on the Type B

Facebook Type B group

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got mine. I’m glad I didn’t wait any longer, this gun is pretty amazing from the initial impression. I’ve owned Glock, Sig, HK, Steyr, CZ, FN, etc but this thing truly feels like it jumped ahead a couple evolutionary steps.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#18]
my video on the Type B
Archon Type B shooting review. FAST drill, Keepers Drill, 10-8 5x5 Drill
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#20]
My all German one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I am awaiting a gen 2 for review.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Now with a threaded barrel...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#25]
It appears they changed the grip 'stippling', to me that was part of the appeal and uniqueness.  Are there any (other) changes btw the Gen 1 and Gen 2 and are threaded barrels available?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top