Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2023 12:32:36 PM EDT
I have a conundrum of sorts.
I want to switch to appendix carry but am still struggling finding the right holster/ belt/ pistol combo to be light but capable. In applying my own context i have concerns about my children grabbing and kicking at my 11 to 2 o clock area in playing on the floor/ picking them up, etc.
Are there any documented cases of a pistol in AIWB being discharged from impacts or children reaching and grabbing while still holstered?
Planned loadout is a glock 43x with one or two mags depending on activity and climate.
Have an enigma. Just ordered a DSG apollo with the wing and wedge.
My backup is my G34 with x300 and optic in a vertx sling bag. Which works great as a diaper bag.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Your Glock can't discharge unless you pull the trigger. I use a Tenicor Certum 3 or a Vedder Light Tuck.

You can also get an armorers plate from Ghost so you can see the contact between the firing pin and cruciform. Might give you some piece of mind. Stick a 1/16" punch in there to see if you can get it to disengage. Even if it does, the firing pin safety will stop it. You can pull the slide back about an 1/8" and see the firing pin didn't come through the breech face.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been carrying my 26 strong side iwb for a few years now, and my son is two and a half now. I'm usually carrying while playing with him, and have never had nor felt like there has ever been an issue. I've never gotten a comfortable appendix rig, so I stopped trying. I don't really have any recommendations, but depending on how you carry now, I'd just stick to what you know. Having a kid comes with a lot of learning, and changing up your carry system might be one too many things to re learn.

I have never heard of a stock glock going off in a holster though, with or without kids. It is supposed to be drop safe, so a kid kicking the holster shouldn't be an issuem just make sure the light holster doesn't have too much gap around the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My kid would warn your kid about what we call “Glock head”.

Mine figure it out after just a couple time that for hard fast hugs the left side is less painful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
While home I usually just downgrade from my Glock to a jframe at the appendix position.  Makes me feel better when rolling around with my 1 year old.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimPope:

Mine figure it out after just a couple time that for hard fast hugs the left side is less painful.
View Quote

Lol. My grandson has bopped his head off my Glock several times.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Your kid knocking into your holster won't magically light a round off. Think of how many cops wrestle and fight with guys without their Glocks going off in their holsters.

Originally Posted By JimPope:

View Quote

My 5 year old son has gotten Glock head™ countless times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I rock a 1911 aiwb....ive wresteled, been headbutted, and kagaroo carried many times....no issues..they complain it's not very comfy to snuggle with me...
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:
I rock a 1911 aiwb....ive wresteled, been headbutted, and kagaroo carried many times....no issues..they complain it's not very comfy to snuggle with me...
View Quote

They learn pretty quick when you start them young.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have toddlers and carry appendix.  My holster securely holds the firearm and covers the trigger area, it's not going to fire.

On the other hand, there are situations where I'm carrying one of them and they decide to stand up (putting their weight on the pistol's grip)...
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

They learn pretty quick when you start them young.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1533958836628475688062-636776_JPG-940180-2797417.JPG
View Quote

yup, mine dont mention it, arent surprised to feel it, etc. they know what are where it is and that its "normal" for dad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:

yup, mine dont mention it, arent surprised to feel it, etc. they know what are where it is and that its "normal" for dad.
View Quote

That's hilarious. My 5 year old still does it. Now when I see her coming I put my hand down and twist to the right a little to help the poor thing. :D

I've been carrying appendix since day one and my Tier 1 holster (Xyphos) has been great. I especially like having the two discreet carry clips as they firmly keep the holster in place and reduce printing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Can’t believe no one else has chimed in with: “stay away from an Sig 320 and you’ll be fine.”
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TarawaS2000:
Your kid knocking into your holster won't magically light a round off. Think of how many cops wrestle and fight with guys without their Glocks going off in their holsters.

My 5 year old son has gotten Glock head™ countless times.
View Quote

Glock head is real.  Lol.  My 4 year old knows your 5 year olds pain.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#14]
Originally Posted By LonChaney:
Can’t believe no one else has chimed in with: “stay away from an Sig 320 and you’ll be fine.”
View Quote

Boys are 4 and 8 now. At this point when one of them bumps into it, no different than a cell phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top