BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Fwiw Im 36. Ive shot with people who've carried aiwb longer than Ive been alive."

Well, I'm in my sixties and I've shot with people who carried appendix too in the past. Never said it was just invented. Said it was not as popular then as it is now in recent years. Guess I've been mislead by all the videos on youtube extolling appendix carry and all the posts on gun forums about appendix carry into thinking that somehow it wasn't as common or popular in years past as it is today. As I've said I've got nothing bad to say about appendix carry. If it works for you or others then that's great. I prefer strongside carry, not because it's better or worse than appendix carry, but because it works for me. I was evidently deluded back then too as most of my instructors and mentors all seemed to extoll and practice strong side OWB or IWB carry.
View Quote

Yep.

Where have people been going for their carrying advice and training ?

Military and Police.

Duty Belts are a MUST !!!

Revolvers Good !

Semi-auto Bad !

Always unload when taking the gun off your person !
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep.

Military and Police.

Revolvers Good !

Semi-auto Bad !

View Quote

Well I never heard semi-auto bad from any of my instructors or mentors, that was before my time maybe a generation. Never heard civilians recommended to wear duty belts (so I missed that one), just a good belt, which if you are carrying in a holster on your waist is still good advice. And my point was just that appendix carry was not as popular back then - not because there is something wrong with it, just because partially as you say instructors or individuals with a police or military background tended to endorse how they were trained (mostly stong side carry, with some cross draw, some shoulder holsters, some pocket carry thrown in, along with the generally frowned on mexican carry) - and because of that it wasn't a long standing popular mode of carrying for the average person. The fact is that it has become more popular in recent years as more people endorse it and as more holsters by more companies are made for it. Heck if holsters for appendix carry had been readily available and instructors were endorsing and teaching it I would have considered it back then. Essentially today it has become the hot way to carry a gun in a way similar to Jeff Cooper popularizing the 1911 back in the day. Technology and times change and what is popular at one time becomes less popular and is replaced by the next thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well I never heard semi-auto bad from any of my instructors or mentors, that was before my time maybe a generation. Never heard civilians recommended to wear duty belts (so I missed that one), just a good belt, which if you are carrying in a holster on your waist is still good advice. And my point was just that appendix carry was not as popular back then - not because there is something wrong with it, just because partially as you say instructors or individuals with a police or military background tended to endorse how they were trained (mostly stong side carry, with some cross draw, some shoulder holsters, some pocket carry thrown in, along with the generally frowned on mexican carry) - and because of that it wasn't a long standing popular mode of carrying for the average person. The fact is that it has become more popular in recent years as more people endorse it and as more holsters by more companies are made for it. Heck if holsters for appendix carry had been readily available and instructors were endorsing and teaching it I would have considered it back then. Essentially today it has become the hot way to carry a gun in a way similar to Jeff Cooper popularizing the 1911 back in the day. Technology and times change and what is popular at one time becomes less popular and is replaced by the next thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Military and Police.

Revolvers Good !

Semi-auto Bad !

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

We all understand the school system has been indoctrinating our kids.  Why not recognize who's been teaching The People about carrying guns ?

The People have to conceal their guns and that is a lot harder to do when using super-stiff belts and carrying on the hip.  Much easier to do with smartcarry's, belly bands, etc.

Quite a few years ago I tried to get into some competitions and Appendix Carry was flat out NO WAY IN HELL !!!

So I bought a Safariland level three and magazine carrier and another stiff belt and gave it a go.  Once I got the gun drawn, I was fine.  But I wasn't nearly as smooth as when I drew from the front.

I didn't want to confuse my muscle memory so I stopped competing shortly after that.

Besides, Carrying Concealed is altogether different than the way M&P, and I'm not going to be dealing with the same challenges they are, so that Safariland rig is all set up with a full size M&P w/ WML ready to go in case of a Hurricane Catrina type chaotic environment.

I would like more good guys carrying capable guns more often, and not leave them in the car because they can't get away with carrying at work, at a social gathering where someone could EASILY bump the hip carried gun from behind.  Not a fan of a mouse gun in the pocket either

I think Appendix is a huge thumbs-up in that direction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We all understand the school system has been indoctrinating our kids.  Why not recognize who's been teaching The People about carrying guns ?

The People have to conceal their guns and that is a lot harder to do when using super-stiff belts and carrying on the hip.  Much easier to do with smartcarry's, belly bands, etc.

Quite a few years ago I tried to get into some competitions and Appendix Carry was flat out NO WAY IN HELL !!!

So I bought a Safariland level three and magazine carrier and another stiff belt and gave it a go.  Once I got the gun drawn, I was fine.  But I wasn't nearly as smooth as when I drew from the front.

I didn't want to confuse my muscle memory so I stopped competing shortly after that.

Besides, Carrying Concealed is altogether different than the way M&P, and I'm not going to be dealing with the same challenges they are, so that Safariland rig is all set up with a full size M&P w/ WML ready to go in case of a Hurricane Catrina type chaotic environment.

I would like more good guys carrying capable guns more often, and not leave them in the car because they can't get away with carrying at work, at a social gathering where someone could EASILY bump the hip carried gun from behind.  Not a fan of a mouse gun in the pocket either

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Military and Police.

Revolvers Good !

Semi-auto Bad !

Try some more. Ive had no issues shooting uspsa in 3 states with aiwb.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I threw in ear plugs because we were operating a Grain Vac anyway. No big deal there.

As for peeing, it’s easier to just open your pants than fish through your zipper, then fish through your underwear fly.  Convenience is all it is.
View Quote

Good idea on the ear plugs.....I spent enough time in a grain bin as a kid to know how loud shit can be in them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree, you can use aiwb in uspsa, just a division change but no big deal if you’re actually using your carry setup.

Sounds like he shot IDPA where you cannot use an appendix holster. Ironic a “defensive” focused organization says that appendix is banned but a fishing vest is required because it simulates real world garment. Yea ok....
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agree, you can use aiwb in uspsa, just a division change but no big deal if you’re actually using your carry setup.

Sounds like he shot IDPA where you cannot use an appendix holster. Ironic a “defensive” focused organization says that appendix is banned but a fishing vest is required because it simulates real world garment. Yea ok....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Shit !!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 6'2" 240 pounds and currently pretty squishy, tried AIWB a while ago with a LC9s and it sucked. Decided to try again with a bigger gun and a purpose built holster and it's been eye opening. I crawl all over injection molding presses all day 8-12 hours a day and it’s the most comfortable carry system I’ve used. Going on 3 months now and I may switch to an even bigger gun just because I can. I notice it’s there but it’s not uncomfortable, but it is comforting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
AIWB works best for me but I’m on the skinny side so. I use a Tier-1 Axis Elite with G19. Have the same on order for a Sig AXG Scorpion. Only way to go IMO
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bought T1C, in fact I bought two of them. Then I bought a Tulster Oath and haven't used my T1c since.
View Quote

It would be nice if Tulster made a light bearing Oath with a TLR-7 Sub profile.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That seems to be a glaring oversight. Wonder if it’s because the light is fairly new. I threw a 7a on my new Sig so that’s what I ordered. Can’t imagine anything being more comfortable than the T-1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought T1C, in fact I bought two of them. Then I bought a Tulster Oath and haven't used my T1c since.

I emailed them asking if they would eventually make an OATH for a Glock 48 with TLR-7 sub. They recommended I fill out their holster request survey and put that request in. You should too.

Tulster Holster Request Survey
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I emailed them asking if they would eventually make an OATH for a Glock 48 with TLR-7 sub. They recommended I fill out their holster request survey and put that request in. You should too.

Tulster Holster Request Survey
View Quote

Coincidentally, I did that this morning.

I find it odd, that they currently have no plans of making a light bearing OATH.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice info gentleman...
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I just purchased a Incog from Gcode for my VP9. We’ll see how it goes.
May try C&H holster next.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top