Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2022 10:24:48 PM EDT
I had a round Apex trigger installed in my 509T.

Wow! What a difference!

Still too long of a pull with too much take up, but it’s not like dragging a pallet up a gravel road, like the stock trigger.

Too long back to reset, but reset is much better and tactile.

Definitely worth the $s.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:31:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LAWRENCETHOMPSON] [#1]
Originally Posted By JPK:
I had a round Apex trigger installed in my 509T.

Wow! What a difference!

Still too long of a pull with too much take up, but it’s not like dragging a pallet up a gravel road, like the stock trigger.

Too long back to reset, but reset is much better and tactile.

Definitely worth the $s.
View Quote

I almost bought one last fall for my 509 tactical, but after reading some of the reviews on installation changed my mind.
I assume you had a gunsmith install it?? was it local? about how much did it cost for installation?

I was going to get the jig an install it, but after reading about driving the one pin out I changed my mind, but if I had a trustworthy gunsmith that has done it before, I might revisit the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I did my own installation. There are some good videos. I would have bought a jig but the were out of stock when I did mine.

It wasn’t too bad, just take your time, make sure you have the correct punches and make sure you drive the pin in and out the correct direction.

The Apex trigger makes a world of difference and is well worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LAWRENCETHOMPSON:

I almost bought one last fall for my 509 tactical, but after reading some of the reviews on installation changed my mind.
I assume you had a gunsmith install it?? was it local? about how much did it cost for installation?

I was going to get the jig an install it, but after reading about driving the one pin out I changed my mind, but if I had a trustworthy gunsmith that has done it before, I might revisit the trigger.
View Quote

With the jig, the video, and some patience, you can do it.

I wouldn't attempt it without the jig.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The jig came with my trigger.

I’ll pass it on for $10 to cover a box and shipping to whoever needs it - so long as they promise to pass it forward under the same terms.

Normal gunsmith charge would have been $60. I’m a friend, $45.

Maryland.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 6:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#5]
Good to hear OP. I really like the curved trigger, and had it in hand along with a new factory pin. The jig was out of stock when I had all this (a year or so ago.) So, after watching all the competent YouTube videos I gave it a try. The Apex video series made it look fairly easy..

I've been working on guns for the better part of 15 years, including many, many CZ's and variants thereof. They're tedious little pain in the asses to work on. Loads of 1911's as well. And of course, a few dozen AR's.

With all that said, I DESTROYED my frame while trying to get that FUCKING pin out. Nice..not. Had to bow my head, call FN and beg to fix it (aka put all my guts in a new frame.) That cost me the better part of $200.

I really want to get one, as they're back in stock at Apex right now. I may just send it to them and let them do it. As confident as I am working on almost any firearm, I'm NOT doing that again.

This was on a Mid BTW.

Right now, I'm focusing on trying to justify a Rugged Obsidian 9 can. I just ordered the Apex drop-in threaded barrel. This makes more sense, I'd love to have this home defense gun suppressed. Why not, all my AR's are. Right?

Who knows, I may change my mind and get the jig and a new Starrett punch to try again.. or not.

ETA: Forgot this. I installed the Apex Billet striker, and M-Carbo's spring set (striker & plunger only in the slide.) I also polished the piss outta the Apex striker and factory safety plunger.. this made a HUGE difference in the trigger pull & break. It's still got that shit feel if you try and pull slow, but if you bring it to the wall deliberate, the break is nice and clean. Reset is still meh, but tolerable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#6]
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:

With all that said, I DESTROYED my frame while trying to get that FUCKING pin out. Nice..not. Had to bow my head, call FN and beg to fix it (aka put all my guts in a new frame.) That cost me the better part of $200.
View Quote

Would ya mind sharing how that happened? Did you use the Apex plates, or a roll of painters tape?

When FN replaced the frame, did you get the same serial number?

I used the Apex plates, a quality Starrett pin punch, a 8oz Tekton hammer, and things went smooth.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
Would ya mind sharing how that happened? Did you use the Apex plates, or a roll of painters tape?

When FN replaced the frame, did you get the same serial number?
I used the Apex plates, a quality Starrett pin punch, a 8oz Tekton hammer, and things went smooth.  
View Quote

I did use a nice fresh roll of painters tape for support, and a decent punch I had on hand. Can't remember what hammer I used.. As I stated earlier the Apex jig wasn't available when I did this.

I did not get the same serial number from from FN, it was a new unit. Good thing I've got a buddy who is my FFL. No fees for transfer.

I know there are plenty who've had success, but the more I think about it, why do I need it? I don't. It's a home defense gun that works great as is. The work I've already done helped tremendously.

Now, a suppressor? Absolutely makes sense. I think that's the direction my $$$ will go for this gun. Apex threaded barrel shipped this morning..
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#8]
Well, thought I'd update. Even though this is another persons thread.

I did indeed procure a Rugged Obsidian 9 suppressor. Hopefully, 90 days for the the new eFile Form 4. Yeah.. right.

I'm still trying to resist buying the Apex trigger & jig for mine. They're all in stock, ready to ship. What I'd really like to see is a new locking block pin come with it.

Me, I'd much rather replace the pin that comes out. They're NOWHERE to be found. My go to, MidWest Gunworks has been out of stock forever..

Post up some pics and thoughts on the Apex trigger folks. Help me not resist..

Carry on

Everything else is done..

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, thought I'd update. Even though this is another persons thread.

I did indeed procure a Rugged Obsidian 9 suppressor. Hopefully, 90 days for the the new eFile Form 4. Yeah.. right.

I'm still trying to resist buying the Apex trigger & jig for mine. They're all in stock, ready to ship. What I'd really like to see is a new locking block pin come with it.

Me, I'd much rather replace the pin that comes out. They're NOWHERE to be found. My go to, MidWest Gunworks has been out of stock forever..

Post up some pics and thoughts on the Apex trigger folks. Help me not resist..

Carry on

Everything else is done..

https://media.fotki.com/2v2aLEDJFx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

I purchased a new unlocking block pin with the intent to replace it following installation of the trigger, but did not use it. After some thought, there was no tangible reason to replace the pin. Driving the pin out did not change the dimensions, and the effort it took to drive the pin back in was the same effort it took to drive the pin out to begin with. I'm sure the dimensions would change after driving it in and out several times, but for most of us, it is one and done.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:38:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#10]
I purchased a new unlocking block pin with the intent to replace it following installation of the trigger, but did not use it. After some thought, there was no tangible reason to replace the pin. Driving the pin out did not change the dimensions, and the effort it took to drive the pin back in was the same effort it took to drive the pin out to begin with. I'm sure the dimensions would change after driving it in and out several times, but for most of us, it is one and done.
View Quote

Good to hear brother. I'd still like to have one on hand if I do indeed make the jump. But whatever, I've seen Apex do so many of them and not replace it (as did you and many others,) it's probably a moot point.

Edit: Screw it. Ordered the black flatty trigger kit and jig. Done deal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
And, we're done. Jig made it easy. Reset still sucks.. just not as bad a stock. All in all a great upgrade.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
And, we're done. Jig made it easy. Reset still sucks.. just not as bad a stock. All in all a great upgrade.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2aLhTUGx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Looks badass, Mack.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks badass, Mack.
View Quote

Thanks brother. At least I didn't destroy my frame this time!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Apex trigger, sear, striker & MCarbo striker and safety plunger springs. 5 pull average

I'm happy with this as a dedicated home defense, "nightstand queen" gun.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally able to post in the FN forum with my new 509T. Took it to the range today and starting to think about upgrades. Besides the Apex trigger, what are the best upgrades over stock? Already have a DDP on top.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP!
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top