Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2021 1:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg]
I keep seeing them online.   Ran across the Demolition Ranch video w/ one again a couple of days ago.  I keep thinking one of those w/ the barrel threaded might be kind of fun.   Anyone tried one?   Suppressed it?

One of these. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
With a can on the end, it would get pretty bulky. I would just go with a small 9 like a G43 and get several shots.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By greco:
With a can on the end, it would get pretty bulky. I would just go with a small 9 like a G43 and get several shots.
View Quote
I've already got that.   Was more curious if anyone has tried one.    Looks like nobody is admitting it at least.    I ordered one on Gunbroker.    If it works I may have to make a small 9mm suppressor for it.    As for why?   Why not.  Might be an interesting experiment.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discovered something last night.  Their web site has the 380 barrels for $49 shipped and says the guns are all the same so the barrels are interchangeable.    So 380 barrel on the way.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather bitch slap a rattlesnake than buy one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If it had a real trigger instead of a spring with a pokey end to hit the primer with I'd consider it.   That sorry excuse for a trigger makes this a joke.   How could you possibly be accurate with it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 1:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#7]
Originally Posted By Tomishamish:
If it had a real trigger instead of a spring with a pokey end to hit the primer with I'd consider it.   That sorry excuse for a trigger makes this a joke.   How could you possibly be accurate with it?
View Quote

It's an interesting gun and a way to play w/ a release trigger.   It's something new, different, and inexpensive and I've got a weakness for weird guns.     I've wasted more money on worse things.   It's not like I'm lacking in carry guns.

My suppressor idea for it is on hold while I figure out where to get it threaded and get around to it.  My first thought on where to do it fell through.    No rush though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:32:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dwhitehorne] [#8]
A co worker has one in 9mm and I've put a few rounds through it suppressed.  Not my thing but it's his toy.  Interesting thing is the 115gr rounds we fired were keyholing at 5 yards with the suppressor.  Never seen a pistol keyhole a round before.  He said the suppressor was fine on his other 9mms.  David
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
A co worker has one in 9mm and I've put a few rounds through it suppressed.  Not my thing but it's his toy.  Interesting thing is the 115gr rounds we fired were keyholing at 5 yards with the suppressor.  Never seen a pistol keyhole a round before.  He said the suppressor was fine on his other 9mms.  David
View Quote

...........smoothbore barrel.........
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:

View Quote

Well that is interesting.  Kind of stupid to put an expensive suppressor on it and risk a baffle strike.  I'll ask him about it next time I see him at work.  David
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an Altor I built into an AOW for a customer at our shop.  We kept the barrel, receiver and the firing pin spring and built everything else.  Of course we had to test it with a suppressor too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mettlepig] [#12]
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:

View Quote

I bought one just because it was cheap and interesting.
It has a "Micro Grooved" barrel, cheapest form of rifling.

From the Altor site:

Tumbling bullets/Rifling

Tumbling bullets are completely normal. There are two reasons for this. First of all, the Altor pistol has an extremely short barrel-only 1.5 inches of actual barrel since the rest of the barrel/chamber includes the chamber and the front of the receiver.
It is also because we only cut four “microgrooves” as rifling strictly for ATF compliance purposes. “Microgrooves” were patented by Marlin in the 1950s so we knew they were legal and would prevent us from having a problem with ATF. Because a smoothbore would be a short barreled shotgun and restricted. The Altor pistol was submitted to the ATF during development and they approved the rifling as within the legal requirements, but they really don’t do much. For reference, the official SAAMI specifications for 9 MM barrels calls for 6 grooves, each of them 0.100″ wide and approximately 0.011″ deep. In contrast, the Altor barrel has only 4 grooves and each of them is only 0.014″ wide and only 0.005″ deep. These barrels have very substantial differences in rifling.
The Altor pistol was only intended to be a close quarters defense weapon or farm tool. According to FBI data, most gunfights occur in 3 seconds, involve 3 shots, and happen at 3 yards (9 feet). That was our design goal. Hit a center mass human size target at 9 feet whether the bullet is tumbling or not.
But it is incredibly more accurate than that even with a tumbling bullet. Whether you are ringing steel at 18-25 yards as some online reviewers have done or just wanting to do some damage to flesh during a defense situation, a tumbling bullet seems to hit the target. And while penetration might be affected, the wound cavity would probably be worse.
The only way to eliminate this would be to go to traditional rifling which would increase the price substantially since it requires button rifling which is a separate process. Therefore we would never do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I went on a wierd gun kick ordered a life card and this thing. Pissed I missed out on the zip22s so getting these to fill the gap lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top