Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2022 9:30:13 AM EDT
I used to own one years ago. Thinking of grabbing another for when I’m dressed tshirt and shorts and just want to throw something in the pocket. Or is there a more preferred revolver you like? I had an 442 air weight for a while, easy to carry but a tad small and light to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems awful heavy and snaggy for just throwing in a pocket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one, carry it frequently but not in the pocket.  It's just too heavy.  I have pocket carried a Smith 638 in a pocket holster but that was at the upper end of practical in my view.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve carried a hammer less one in the pocket. I prefer it or a 640. I prefer steel to the Airweights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
I have one, carry it frequently but not in the pocket.  It's just too heavy.  I have pocket carried a Smith 638 in a pocket holster but that was at the upper end of practical in my view.
View Quote

I did pocket carry one for a couple months.

It was distractingly heavy, especially when carrying other tools
and toward the end of long shifts.

Switched to a much lighter LCR .327.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LCR .327 would be the way I would do it. Or a hammerless Smith of some kind. 38spcl, even +p is fine in an airweight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Baby Browning time!
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the consensus is that the ruger is too heavy, but you and the gentleman below you recommended SW wheel guns. So maybe that’s the route I’ll go then.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a snub nosed spurless SP101 daily, but in a belt slide holster. As others have said it is really heavy for pocket carry. It's great for me in a beltslide.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've done it but it's not easy, the 2.25" SP101 has about the same footprint as a G19/23 but heavier.   If your pockets are cavernous then go for it, just make sure to wear a belt.  I like the SP101 a lot, shoots well heck probably the best shooting small 357 out there, but it's a chonk.  The S&W Model 60 is a J-frame all steel 357, doesn't shoot as soft as the SP101 but it's also physically smaller too, or you can go with a real lightweight J-frame and while carry will be better, shooting them isn't much fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LCR .327 would be the way I would do it. Or a hammerless Smith of some kind. 38spcl, even +p is fine in an airweight.
View Quote

All our pocket carries are spurless.

Wife has a 642.  I borrowed it a few times.
It was the lightest, easiest thing to carry other
than her LCP II .22LR.  I could go all day and not
notice the 642.  Less noticeable than my Ruger .327.

I only use the LCP when I'm very restricted in what
I can carry.  More felony murderers in construction
with zero impulse control than you'd suppose.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to own one years ago. Thinking of grabbing another for when I’m dressed tshirt and shorts and just want to throw something in the pocket. Or is there a more preferred revolver you like? I had an 442 air weight for a while, easy to carry but a tad small and light to shoot.
View Quote
I carry at times a Ruger SP-101 2.25" .357mag revolver. I've tried pocket carry and it's a no-go for me. What works best for me at least is a Mk-Tek IWB (appendix) carry. Very comfortable, conceals well, and doesn't drag my pants down. The price is $57. I recommend you check them out.

https://mk-tekholsters.com/shop/ols/products/ruger-sp101-2-1-4-inch-revolver-iwb-holster
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So the consensus is that the ruger is too heavy, but you and the gentleman below you recommended SW wheel guns. So maybe that’s the route I’ll go then.
View Quote

Again, in most folks opinion the SP-101 2.25" is not a great pocket carry revolver. Someone mentioned the S&W Model 642 which I highly recommend. I carry mine in a Mika Pocket Holster. No, you hardy know it's there and it hardly prints with the right shorts or even long pants. Great little +P rated revolver. And I can't say enough positive remarks concerning the Mika Pocket holster. Soft, holds revolver in holster and holster stays in pocket when drawing. Good luck!

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I have carried a 642 for years...right front pocket.

This summer my new P365 pretty much replaced it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Agree the SP101 is too heavy for pocket carry. I have a LCR in .357 that works though, usually loaded with .38+p... I like the option to be able to run 357 if I need to,.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My son in law has the sp101. I have considered an Lcr in 9mm.as a backup.  The common caliber makes sense if one went down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I do at times, it's doable for sure but not the smallest gun either.  It's easier to pocket carry a G26/27.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Airweight in a Kramer pocket holster.  Thank me later.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Good in between for the Sp101 and the airweight is a S&W 640 far more shootable then the 442 less weight and bulk then a SP101. I’ll occasional drop a SP101 in the back pocket to take out trash but far to heavy for pocket all day imo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Like everyone said, its too heavy for the pocket, just my opinion. I carry a 442 sometimes…if you go down that path again, maybe look into grips. I haven’t gotten around to replacing mine yet, but they suck, and that might be why you didn’t like yours so much. There are two threads with some ideas in the ARF Revolver Forum right now.

If you want a Ruger, the LCR is great. The .38 model is slightly lighter than the magnum models, so if you can’t decide, just think about how much you’re going to shoot it vs just carry it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Sp101 is much too heavy for pocket carry.  S&W Airweight or Ruger LCR are good choices for pocket carrying a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been pocket carrying my SP-101 in my front jeans pocket for a few years now. Using a Desantis Superfly pocket holster, and loaded with Federal 158gr HydraShok Magnums, it's my primary EDC. I don't find it awkward or too heavy at all.

I've actually owned this SP-101 since 2007 and I used it as a nightstand gun, glovebox gun and range toy, but I never carried it. However, a few years back I decided to upgrade from my 38 Special EDC (an S&W 649) to 357 Mag and bought an S&W 640 Performance Center Pro Series  with the intent to make that my primary pocket carry gun. After some testing, I found it unsatisfactory for pocket carry. It was picky about ammo that would shoot to POA, but the biggest issue was the wonderful Novak style sights, which were the gun's primary feature, would occasionally snag on draw from a pocket.

However, I was using my trusty SP-101 as a comparison in testing the J-Frame and realized the Ruger was easier to shoot accurately with magnums, was less ammo picky, and having owned it for years, I knew it was very reliable and durable. The only problem was the hammer spur catching on draw if I didn't have my thumb over it just right, so I cut the hammer spur off.  I put some Crimson Trace Laser Boot Grips on it and have been pocket carrying it ever since.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top