Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: I don't "lug around 3 dozen cartridges" but I carry multiple reloads. It's not a burden.
Standing there with an empty gun and no way to reload it, while wishing I had and needing a loaded gun had a profound impact on my attitude. That WAS a burden.
View Quote

Story?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Story?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I don't "lug around 3 dozen cartridges" but I carry multiple reloads. It's not a burden.
Standing there with an empty gun and no way to reload it, while wishing I had and needing a loaded gun had a profound impact on my attitude. That WAS a burden.

Story?

Short undramatic version: several years ago, 2 small kids about 100 yards down the driveway yelling Dad, Dad grabs 1911 runs down, threatening animals, gun is empty before all animals are kaput, son makes his way to the house and brings back Mossburg 590, all animals now kaput

Dad no longer needs to grab a gun because it's on him all day, plus 2-3 reloads. That's been a time saver several times.
My grab and go shotguns and rifles have ammo cards on board. I'm very rural, AZ mountains.

I have friends that carry J-frames with 5 rounds/no spare ammo. That's their business, but not for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The old Safariland 371 series pouches work well for carrying one of their loaders.  Unfortunately it looks like Safariland may have discontinued them as they don't show up on their website.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Short undramatic version: several years ago, 2 small kids about 100 yards down the driveway yelling Dad, Dad grabs 1911 runs down, threatening animals, gun is empty before all animals are kaput, son makes his way to the house and brings back Mossburg 590, all animals now kaput

Dad no longer needs to grab a gun because it's on him all day, plus 2-3 reloads. That's been a time saver several times.
My grab and go shotguns and rifles have ammo cards on board. I'm very rural, AZ mountains.

I have friends that carry J-frames with 5 rounds/no spare ammo. That's their business, but not for me.
View Quote

I'm curious, what kind of threatening animals?

For the last 15+ years I have lived in a fairly rural area too, here in north Texas (next to a 30,000 acre ranch on which there are no inhabitants of the hominin variety). Countless multiple contacts with deer, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, javelinas, hogs, feral and stray dogs and two varieties of rattlesnakes. All of them except maybe the javelina (pretty dim-witted) and maybe the rattle snakes haul ass at the sound of a gunshot.

Anyhow, carry as many reloads as you want!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]

SP101 3”
J frame S&W
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in my 50's and carry either an LCP Max or a P365X.
Nothing against revolvers, but I find them a bit too heavy and bulky to carry around all day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in my 50's and carry either an LCP Max or a P365X.
Nothing against revolvers, but I find them a bit too heavy and bulky to carry around all day.
View Quote

I actually find my 8 shot 357 to be more comfortable to carry than anything else I’ve owned.  It took a lot of trial and error before I got the right gear to make it possible though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I actually find my 8 shot 357 to be more comfortable to carry than anything else I’ve owned.  It took a lot of trial and error before I got the right gear to make it possible though.
View Quote

which gun and how do you carry it? Been looking to carry my Smith 627 5"
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the guys I used to work with carried a 4" Model 29 (with .44 specials) about half the time, a 1911 the rest (we were both in our thirties at the time).  He used a pancake style holster (ex. Simply Rugged Sourdough) either OWB or IWB by attaching belt loops.  

Funny side story, he shot IDPA with it a fair bit; he and another friend (also in his thirties at the time) both shot one match using full power .44 mag.  Obviously neither won, but they weren't as far off the guys with .38/.357s times as you might think (I shot a 2.5" 686 with .357s for that match since I didn't own a .44), plus bonus points for style.  In that particular match, one stage had you starting with your hands on the counter/bar and you had to grab your gun off the shelf under the counter and put two rounds in a target on the other side.  Pasters weren't enough to cover the holes we put in the target at that distance.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My carry gun is a S&W 640.  Been carrying it since 1995 when I bought it, and probably won't change going forward.  

Very easy to carry in either a belt holster which disappears with even a T-shirt over it, or in a front pocket holster when wearing dress pants.

Points and shoots well, plenty good for self-defense ranges, which are going to be up close and personal.  

I put the CT laser grips on it, so it's very quick and easy to obtain a sight picture, and the laser is most likely going to make crooks think about if this is a good course of action.

A 5 shoot push in speedloader fits in the back pocket, for reload if needed.

For all but nighttime travel through really rough areas, I don't feel underguned with 10 rounds of .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Most days it’s a G19 or G26 for my carry pieces, but I’ll carry my GP100 sometimes too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W 351c in the pocket on lazy days, around the house, or when my back says no to anything else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I always carry a J frame in my pocket. Either my rare 2.5" 642 or my 340 both equipped with D&L sights. When I leave the Iowa farm or my Sarasota home it's either a G19 (or 19X) or G48 wearing an RMR in an appendix holster with at least one spare reload for both guns.

If I lived in a place that limited magazine capacity, it would be a 3" 38/357 Colt revolver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]
My 638 goes into a vest pocket in the winter for quick trips or walks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm usually home 30 days out of the year.  During that time my EDC is a Smith 442 in pocket with a speed strip for reload.  OCONUS usually a Glock OWB with a spare mag.  If I need more there's usually a minigun in the shop.

CD
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 If I need more there's usually a minigun in the shop.
CD
View Quote

I like the way you think.  There is no substitute for overkill.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm usually home 30 days out of the year.  During that time my EDC is a Smith 442 in pocket with a speed strip for reload.  OCONUS usually a Glock OWB with a spare mag.  If I need more there's usually a minigun in the shop.

CD
View Quote

According to the recent threads in GD regarding revolvers you're already dead, you just don't know it.    It is interesting how many people with your background often carry a small revolver or automatic instead of one of the newer, higher capacity guns like the 365/Hellcat/Shield Plus/whatever.  I remember watching a couple of videos with some former SF types and a lot of them were carrying stock Glock 43s with the factory mag and one reload, I think one had a Kahr and another a 442.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, I do. A 442 or a SP101.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I am 44 and pocket carry a 642 often.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 49 (will be 50 in November). I carry a Kimber K6S daily and before that I carried a 642
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Custom 649 J-Comp I carry most of the time. Switch to a 624 when I’m in the woods.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

If they still wanna wrassle after I put 5 or 10 .38’s in ‘em, I might show ‘em my cheap pocket knife. It’s pretty long and sharp.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh, that M24 is nice.   I've only shot one, a 4" that belonged to a friend.  I really like shooting .44 spl same as I enjoy cowboy loads in my .45 Blackhawk.

Has your wife tried the original Uncle Mike's boot grip that came on the early 642s?  I've tried a couple of different grips on mine but always go back to them.  It's utter heresy to even say it so I'll try to whisper, but a while back I saw where someone had fitted a set of Taurus 85 grips to a Smith J frame and claimed that they were more comfortable due to the Taurus' rubber along the back strap.  Apparently the fellow had arthritis and was looking for something with more cushioning.  I've thought about trying it just to see how it felt since you can pick up the grips for cheap, but I'd have to wrap it in athletic tape to help hide my shame.  

View Quote

Thanks bro on the M24... I cannot believe I found one that was basically a safe queen previously for what they are going for now.

As to UM's rubber boots... no we haven't tried them. The M642 came with a pair of Smith boots that were too bulky for her hands. The vintage M36's with the Tyler T believe it or not is perfect for either of us. Her with her girly hands and me with my meaty man hands... The combo is very comfortable even when shooting Buffalo Bore's 150 grain hard cast wad cutters that are guaranteed to about 950fps out of a 2" Smith barrel. Of course you don't want to shoot 50 of them per range/training day... But for carry and in the need to pull and pop they offer a nice grip purchase albeit from a purse or a Desantis pocket holster.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/C5AB6C5D-952B-4ECF-A4E5-331F40444AC5_jpe-2394938.JPG

If they still wanna wrassle after I put 5 or 10 .38’s in ‘em, I might show ‘em my cheap pocket knife. It’s pretty long and sharp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/001E0AC1-19DD-466B-8DA1-B692A8A417E9_jpe-2394934.JPG
View Quote

The Smith M642 Airweights are so underrated... Now I did have to lightly polish/stone all internal engagement surfaces and install a 1lb reduced poundage Wolff hammer strut/spring and a Wolff reduced power trigger return spring... Also heavily polished the rebound slide to a shiny hue (3 sides) before the wifely could reliably pull the DAO trigger 100%... (we seemed to have bought the Massachusetts Trigger'd version) but my 45 minute trigger job took the trigger down from 8+lbs to a flat 5lbs which is more than manageable... Its so easy to put 5 quick pops within 3 inches at 10 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger and points so nicely to boot. I've taught the wifey to aim at the pelvis and calmly empty the cylinder as fast as possible (about 4 seconds for her at 7 yards) exclusively. For her it's the perfect carry piece and not too far off from perfect for me either. Pic of her carry rig below... The vintage Magna's and Tyler-T is oh so comfortable for both her and me too!

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
35 and carry a .38 LCR with wadcutters. Usually solo, but as backup to something larger if I’m going somewhere that warrants it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m 34…

9mm converted 642-1, with CT grips and LaserMax weapon light. Redone in NP3 Plus. And I carried that since my late 20s.

For me, it’s comfortable and will do what I need it to do. But for worse case (Federal L/E, so talking something like those past two active shooters), I have a suppressed 11.5” AR in my truck.

I’m issued a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, but only carry it when required. We are being allowed weapon lights, so once that is done, I’ll probably carry that periodically.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  I’m 34…

https://i.imgur.com/SmESRcF.jpg

9mm converted 642-1, with CT grips and LaserMax weapon light. Redone in NP3 Plus. And I carried that since my late 20s.

For me, it’s comfortable and will do what I need it to do. But for worse case (Federal L/E, so talking something like those past two active shooters), I have a suppressed 11.5” AR in my truck.

I’m issued a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, but only carry it when required. We are being allowed weapon lights, so once that is done, I’ll probably carry that periodically.
View Quote

You had a .38 +P converted to 9x19mm, instead of using a .357 Magnum for a base?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You had a .38 +P converted to 9x19mm, instead of using a .357 Magnum for a base?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and I don't think I'm that brave, there's a big pressure difference between .38+P and 9mm.  I'd probably do it on one of the Scandium guns, but not the standard Airweights.  JMHO
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 49, depending on what clothes I'm wearing, I either carry a Walther PPK, or a Ruger LCR.

I love revolvers!
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and I don't think I'm that brave, there's a big pressure difference between .38+P and 9mm.  I'd probably do it on one of the Scandium guns, but not the standard Airweights.  JMHO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In researching a conversion a while back, this is the only source I found on using an aluminum alloy frame for 9mm .  The poster seems knowledgeable but I still opted to get a scandium frame for mine.  Some sites even allude to the scandium frame having limitations on handling the hotter 9mm loads.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?136771-9mm-backup-revolver-conversion

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In researching a conversion a while back, this is the only source I found on using an aluminum alloy frame for 9mm .  The poster seems knowledgeable but I still opted to get a scandium frame for mine.  Some sites even allude to the scandium frame having limitations on handling the hotter 9mm loads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm borrowing my son's hybrid poly framed M&P Bodyguard right now w/ .38s; his Charter Arms Southpaw weighs about the same & both are painful to shoot w/ anything but Cowboy Action & wadcutter loads.  My relatively heavy for class SP 101 in 9x19mm became tolerable to shoot once I went to Hogues.  Shooting an ultralight in 9x19mm is not only abusive to the gun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm borrowing my son's hybrid poly framed M&P Bodyguard right now w/ .38s; his Charter Arms Southpaw weighs about the same & both are painful to shoot w/ anything but Cowboy Action & wadcutter loads.  My relatively heavy for class SP 101 in 9x19mm became tolerable to shoot once I went to Hogues.  Shooting an ultralight in 9x19mm is not only abusive to the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my .357 scandium but am also contemplating getting a Model 60 for a conversion as well.  Just haven’t gotten around to sending my cylinders off for the conversions yet.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
It isn’t my normal carry gun set up but big revolvers, meaning for me L frame and N frame .357s carry very comfortably in those Safariland Custom Fit paddle holster.  A model 28 is a big revolver and that holster carries it nicely.

I normally carry a 43x, a Kahr Mk40 or a CZPo7 but any one of my 4” .357s could be carried on a day around town when I also want to shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So did S&W…

I am the same poster in that linked Warrior Talk thread. Most of my 9mm J-frame threads/posts are on S&W Forum, but I also post on TFL and Pistol Forum.

I don’t run +P out of the revolver, and 147 grain shoots pretty well. I’ve had this setup since 2015… zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So did S&W…

https://i.imgur.com/aBV4c2h.png

https://i.imgur.com/SQMsXJ3.png

I am the same poster in that linked Warrior Talk thread. Most of my 9mm J-frame threads/posts are on S&W Forum, but I also post on TFL and Pistol Forum.

I don’t run +P out of the revolver, and 147 grain shoots pretty well. I’ve had this setup since 2015… zero issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You had a .38 +P converted to 9x19mm, instead of using a .357 Magnum for a base?

So did S&W…

Interesting.  The 940 was always a stainless steel frame though, no?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.  The 940 was always a stainless steel frame though, no?
View Quote

It was… just like the 640.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So did S&W…

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did S&W…

I knew I recognized the username from somewhere.  

Good additional info.  Thanks for posting.  Maybe I’ll do one on the airweight frame after all.  The price point is definitely more appealing.

The 147gr HST is my goto for 9mm carry.  Glad to know it works for this setup as well.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Looking forward to a 6-7 shot J frame .30 Super Carry.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Well under 50 and I frequently carry a air weight J frame.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I carried a 38 snubbie for two decades. Upgraded to higher capacity semi over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looking forward to a 6-7 shot J frame .30 Super Carry.
View Quote

Airweight version of the 632 with moon clips
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#42]
40 here and have been carrying a 637 loaded with wadcutters, since I bought it last spring.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m 42….been in law enforcement for 21 years. I was in the last class to shoot revolvers in the academy (we transitioned to Glocks before graduation). While I have to carry a Glock 9mm of some sort now as a primary duty gun, I’ve had a J-Frame (currently a 340PD)  in my left cargo pocket for the last 19 years. At times that J-Frame has doubled as an off-duty gun. Over the last few years though, my off-duty gun has been a K-Frame 2.5” 66.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#45]
52 retired LEO

S&W 442 with wadcutters

sometimes a 3" 629 or 686+

Hoping to get a 351PD or a 43C soon to replace/augment the 442.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I am really enjoying my 351PD. Great carry gun that weighs about 13oz loaded. I’m ok carrying 7 of the Speer Gold Dots.  
Jeff from Gunblast had a video running 22LR through his with no problems so you always have that for some cheap practice.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Early 30s
442 most days
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#49]
On occasion I still carry a snub nose revolver, the Colt Magnum Carry, loaded with 125 grain Remington Golden Sabre 357 magnum ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

SP101 still sees around the house duty Stoked with 158 LSWC-HP at 1185fps
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top