Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2022 4:21:32 PM EDT
Revolvers seem to be associated as an “old timers” weapon.  I’m in my late 30s now so not exactly young but my EDC is usually a revolver.  People at work think it’s funny that I don’t carry a micro 9 but the revolver carries so well.  I currently EDC a SW 327PC (pug nose) along with a Medford Praetorian Ti.  Haven’t found a preferred way to carry spare ammo yet.  Anyone else carry a wheel gun as an EDC?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a snub s&w because it's convenient.  Can carry it in any pantaloons/shorts.  Tuck and go!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
6 shots vs 10-17

When you need bullets, you need them badly and lots of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6 shots vs 10-17

When you need bullets, you need them badly and lots of them.
View Quote

I was a SAW gunner in Fallujah. There's a different need conus for private citizens. The need for more than 6rounds is over blown and the mag dump mentality is dangerous. Never shoot faster than you can assess.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was a SAW gunner in Fallujah. There's a different need conus for private citizens. The need for more than 6rounds is over blown and the mag dump mentality is dangerous. Never shoot faster than you can assess.
View Quote

I wasn’t in the military but I agree with your statement.  My revolver holds 8 rounds and I know there’s plenty of people carrying 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
lol if you need 17 shots you need a high capacity rifle. If you can't get it done in 5 shots then you are probably done.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't EDC, but I regularly carry a 101 in my winter coat 2.5 months a year.  It's in addition to my 26 primary.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Ruger SP101 3" is frequently carried in a shoulder holster.  Very comfortable.  Loaded with the Speer Gold Dot short barrel .357 which is an excellent round for smaller guns.  Still packs quite a punch without excessive flash or recoil.

During the summer when a cover garment can't be worn a J-frame S&W will be in my pocket.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to EDC my preferred semi-auto pistol, but I carry
a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed Mag.  I live in probably one of
the safest places in the country, it's light, more easily
concealed than my preferred firearm, and meets my
threshold requirements for self defense while allowing
me the mobility to perform my job.

I have no qualms regarding revolvers in my situation.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wasn’t in the military but I agree with your statement.  My revolver holds 8 rounds and I know there’s plenty of people carrying 1911s.
View Quote

Yup, I carry a 1911 quit a bit
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
@03RN

You look smaller in your avatar, but you're actually a GIANT!

You don't need firearms - you could probably just squish people.  

Sincerely, a revolver convert.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#15]
SP101 or the M19 carry comp
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@03RN

You look smaller in your avatar, but you're actually a GIANT!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/525420/Screenshot_20220509-173141_Chrome-2377977.jpg

You don't need firearms - you could probably just squish people.  

Sincerely, a revolver convert.  
View Quote

I'm only 5-11
Kenny does a good job making me look bigger lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a J frame almost daily and I’m in my 40’s.  Pocket carry for deep concealment.  I also love my 2.5” K frames and 1911’s.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree fully ( as I usually do with your well reasoned commentary)
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Smith 242 here, mid 50's, no fucks given.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
3" SP101
Pocket carry every day.  I'm 38
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes, depends on the day and activities planned.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
When I wasn't carrying a LW Commander, I carried a 642 for a while back in the '90s, early 2000s.  Since then it's primarily carried as a hiking/backpacking, kayaking, fishing, etc. gun.  I try to put rounds through it or another revolver every time I go shooting.  Before SC became a shall issue state I may have carried a Rossi .38 during my college years since it was the smallest and lightest gun I owned at the time.  I wish I still had it, for nostalgia's sake; it got carried all over during my outdoor adventures- or it would have been if it were legal at the time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I’d say carry what you’re confident with...

I worked UC years ago dealing with some shady people in shady areas carrying this combo.

Rescue team had long guns though...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Early 60's and I seem to carry my S&W 442 (Mika pocket holster) quite often with a 5-shot speed strip. Still prefer 10rd + semi automatics.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Not so much anymore
My colt detective special
has been replaced with a beretta 85 or 84
In the winter time, I usually have a browning hipower in a IWB holster
to keep the beretta company in my winter coat

The BHP and the berettas (bb models) are carried cocked and
locked in thumb break holsters
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Usually this, with .357 short barrel gold dots and a reload of the same.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
@03RN

Great videos!

I too carry a Revolver a lot, early 40's... She's an M24 Smith 3" barreled N frame as my primary with 200gr Speer Gold Dot's and a spare set of speed strips. I'm not outgunned nor have I ever felt so. I've also in winter carried a pair of 5-shot M36's (one in strong side pocket in Desantis holster another strong side in a Bianchi holster @ 4:00) with a pair of speed strips and soft lead cast Buffalo Bore 158 LHP's. Wifey carries an M642 with Underwood HardCast Wads exclusively... Any and all of those Revolvers more than get the job done. Train with what you carry regularly!

M24 I carry 50% of the time...

Middle two M36's I carry almost exclusively in winter New York Reload style...

Wife's carry rig...

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh, that M24 is nice.   I've only shot one, a 4" that belonged to a friend.  I really like shooting .44 spl same as I enjoy cowboy loads in my .45 Blackhawk.

Has your wife tried the original Uncle Mike's boot grip that came on the early 642s?  I've tried a couple of different grips on mine but always go back to them.  It's utter heresy to even say it so I'll try to whisper, but a while back I saw where someone had fitted a set of Taurus 85 grips to a Smith J frame and claimed that they were more comfortable due to the Taurus' rubber along the back strap.  Apparently the fellow had arthritis and was looking for something with more cushioning.  I've thought about trying it just to see how it felt since you can pick up the grips for cheap, but I'd have to wrap it in athletic tape to help hide my shame.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I do, 4" N-frame minimum 2 reloads, all day every day.

I came to it from semiauto land so not a lifelong DA revolver dude.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry TWO!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m under 65, by a smidge.

I alternate between S&W442 or S&W60 & G43 or G48.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep

Ive tried lots of platforms and options and always find my way back to revolvers.

I'm in my 30s

They hide better, I find the double action pull improves my accuracy, the psychology of knowing you have 6 on tap vs 16 on tap may be more important than actually having 16 rounds,* I enjoy shorting revolvers and am more inclined to practice, using a DA revolver well is a skill, I print less with a 19 Carry Comp than a Glock 48, I like that my EDC gun, my camp gun, my bear gun, my truck gun, my BBQ gun and my bedside gun- is one gun, my times of Bill Drills and El Presidentes  are slightly slower with a wheel gun than a comparable RDS'd semi, but my A zone hits are tighter.

theres more

*I suspect .357 holds the on-shot stop trophy because of this mentality more than it's inherent lethality.  This depends on you- I'm a generally likable large man that doesn't do drugs, drink into the wee hours or commit crimes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I carry a snub s&w because it's convenient.  Can carry it in any pantaloons/shorts.  Tuck and go!
View Quote

Same. It’s easy to carry.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread makes me want a iwb for my 686 shame they don’t make Safariland loaders for the plus model.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This thread makes me want a iwb for my 686 shame they don't make Safariland loaders for the plus model.
View Quote

Speed Beez makes a quick 7 round speed loader

same manual of arms just a little bigger
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
A lot more revolver carriers than I expected, also to those that say semi autos and their capacity is better should also realize some of us live behind enemy lines and have magazine restrictions…just saying
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]

It's all about the smooth, round edges and curves.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread makes me want a iwb for my 686 shame they don't make Safariland loaders for the plus model.

I’ll check them out I carried one for a bit but ended up going back to a auto.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  A lot more revolver carriers than I expected, also to those that say semi autos and their capacity is better should also realize some of us live behind enemy lines and have magazine restrictions…just saying
View Quote

Glock 26 & a 9mm revolver - 15 rounds on tap, and you can fill up the revolver from the Glock mag.  And you can print all the 10 round Glock mags you want.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I carried a gun on a professional basis (yep, it was part of the job) nearly all my adult life. I didn’t always have complete control over what & how I carried.  But, . . . now I do (how cool is that).  For whatever else I may carry, I nearly always have a 722 benchmade & an airweight J frame fitted with CT laser grips in my pockets. They’re trusted old friends with which I’m seriously competent.

Novices focus on the tools, those with experience focus on the skills/techniques. Don’t misunderstand; I appreciate and always buy the very best tools for my endeavors. However, experience has taught that “It’s the gun you actually have with you when need arises, that may save your life” (as opposed to that theoretically better weapon that you didn’t have on you because [. . . fill in the blank. . . ] and you chose to leave it elsewhere in that moment). I have quite a selection of options personally, but for most places I go, a 5 shot revolver in my pocket is completely adequate. I make adjustments to load out based on the circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Yup, oftentimes.  I'm 40.  The 2-6 pick box from El Paso Saddlery is the way to go for spare ammo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I alternate between a 642 j frame/p365 summer
and p229 in the winter
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Some of my coworkers are really proud of the 17 round semis they carry.  The thing is, they don't actually carry them.  They're all stuffed in a backpack back on the boat, truck, or UTV.  If rounds ever actually have to fly, it's going to be my 5 shot 357 or the guy with the .380 in his back pocket.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#47]
58 years old here and I EDC an S&W Model 10-7 in an old thumb-break leather holster, stoked with 160 gr. cast SWC's @ 900 fps. I don't usually carry a reloads with me, never really understood lugging around three dozen cartridges.

I simply shoot the Model 10's more accurately than any other handgun I've ever used.

It's that time of year again around here and a few days I had to dispatch another rattler. Lest ye think an .358" SWC isn't effective, check out what it did to the head of this one-

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Mid 30's, carry a 642 mainly OWB but sometimes ankle or appendix. Need to breakdown and finally buy some nice leather for my 2.5" model 66 and try carrying it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#49]
47 here. I’ve recently returned to the J frame tribe. Both center fire and rimfire.  Unexpected health issues have made carrying other things more difficult or outright painful. My main reason is the concept of always be carrying.  Hobbling around like a cripple There are days when I can’t even reach around to get my wallet out of my back pocket so a J frame is perfect for front pocket, coat pocket, shirt pocket, a little bump under a t shirt at 3:00 on good days.
I spent last weekend getting acquainted with a 351PD 22Mag. 7 shots of loud and nasty coming in at 12 ounces makes me smile.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
58 years old here and I EDC an S&W Model 10-7 in an old thumb-break leather holster, stoked with 160 gr. cast SWC's @ 900 fps. I don't usually carry a reloads with me, never really understood lugging around three dozen cartridges.

I simply shoot the Model 10's more accurately than any other handgun I've ever used.

https://i.imgur.com/Mf8Voqul.jpg https://i.imgur.com/wM6MGgzl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/EsehgjDl.jpg

It's that time of year again around here and a few days I had to dispatch another rattler. Lest ye think an .358" SWC isn't effective, check out what it did to the head of this one-

https://i.imgur.com/fMCauUEl.jpg
View Quote

I don't "lug around 3 dozen cartridges" but I carry multiple reloads. It's not a burden.
Standing there with an empty gun and no way to reload it, while wishing I had and needing a loaded gun had a profound impact on my attitude. That WAS a burden.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top