Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2021 11:33:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:46:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#1]
The only problem I see is that I don't recognize the leather holster.   It may be original, it may not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Requires a Form 4 and tax stamp.
Seller has no idea that its NFA.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Requires a Form 4 and tax stamp.
Seller has no idea that its NFA.
View Quote

Maybe it's not. Certain C&R pistols of special collector interest, ie  Broomhandle Mausers, Lugers and BHPs are exempted from being classed as SBRs/AOWs and can be transferred as regular firearms...

It may depend on the originality of the stock- if it's original to the weapon or manufactured about the same time, it's probably ok.  Whether this particular example is, I don't know, but I'd assume the seller has done his diligence.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
50/50 chance, but I don't seem to recall the old buttstocks looking quite like that one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By asiparks:

Maybe it's not. Certain C&R pistols of special collector interest, ie  Broomhandle Mausers, Lugers and BHPs are exempted from being classed as SBRs/AOWs and can be transferred as regular firearms...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By asiparks:

Maybe? Not if you read  the ATF Curio & Relic ListThis model IS NOT exempt from the purview of the NFA.

It may depend on the originality of the stock- if it's original to the weapon or manufactured about the same time, it's probably ok.  

The stock appears to be a genuine FN board stock/holster.......but "probably ok" isn't a term used by ATF.
"Original stock" only matters when attached to those Hi Power models specifically exempted by ATF.

Whether this particular example is, I don't know, but I'd assume the seller has done his diligence.

Seller has no clue. I asked about the Form 4 and they didn't know what that was.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:34:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#6]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
50/50 chance, but I don't seem to recall the old buttstocks looking quite like that one.
View Quote

Two basic types of Hi Power stock holsters:
1. Inglis and Chinese contract style

2. Belgian style (also used on Oman contract)
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do you care so much?

Do you work for the ATF?

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#8]
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:
Why do you care so much?
View All Quotes
Why do you care so much?

I don't want to see someone get jammed up on a federal firearms violation that could prevent them from ever possessing a firearm again.
Is that a good enough reason?

Do you work for the ATF?

Nope. Teacher by day, FFL by night.

What kind of moron thinks someone from ATF runs around posting pics of NFA violations?
That's akin to thinking a car flashing its headlights to warn others about a radar speed trap is really another police officer.
See how stupid your conclusion is?

Troll elsewhere.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]

I don't want to see someone get jammed up on a federal firearms violation that could prevent them from ever possessing a firearm again.

View All Quotes

So you decided post a link to the alleged violation on a public forum instead of sending the seller a private message through Gunbroker...

Nope. Teacher by day, FFL by night.

Teacher huh, well that explains the "hall monitor" energy of your post...

You're not here to help anyone.  You posted this to call out the seller on a public forum...  

What kind of moron thinks someone from ATF runs around posting pics of NFA violations?
That's akin to thinking a car flashing its headlights to warn others about a radar speed trap is really another police officer.
See how stupid your conclusion is?

Ever heard of sarcasm?  You don't work for the ATF, so either send the seller a private message or move along... That was the punchline that you apparently missed

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, the stock is not attached in any of the photos.  As long as the stock is not attached, it's not an NFA item

The seller even added the following notes on 10/22 regarding your concerns:

ATTENTION: PLEASE READ!!!

We need to provide some important information about this Browning Hi-Power. When this example has the wood stock attached, it classifies it as a NFA Class 3 item. We will ship this Browning Hi-Power without the stock attached and not in SBR form. Attaching a stock to this will require the buyer to register this firearm as a NFA item. We apologize for any inconvience this may have caused. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us!
View Quote

But please, continue...
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]

So you decided post a link to the alleged violation on a public forum instead of sending the seller a private message through Gunbroker...
View All Quotes

I did send the seller a message through GunBroker. After no response for over a week I posted this thread.
Seller did respond the day after I posted this thread....."Where did you get this information?"

Teacher huh, well that explains the "hall monitor" energy of your post...

Thank you.

You're not here to help anyone.  You posted this to call out the seller on a public forum...

And you would have helped others by letting them violate the NFA? That's fucked up man.
You're damn right I posted on here to call out the seller. He's totally ignorant of why its an SBR.
After I sent him the links to ATF regs it still took him four days to edit his auction.....and he still got it wrong.

Ever heard of sarcasm?  You don't work for the ATF, so either send the seller a private message or move along... That was the punchline that you apparently missed

It wasn't sarcasm, its was trollish snark from the ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#12]
Also, the stock is not attached in any of the photos.  As long as the stock is not attached, it's not an NFA item
View All Quotes

Well Einstein, IT WAS ATTACHED in the original auction listing. Seller edited his auction and you can see that in his listing.
Further, YOU are as ignorant of firearms law as that seller. Google "constructive possession". Thats why you don't have a stock/holster and a pistol it can attach to in your possession.

The seller even added the following notes on 10/22 regarding your concerns:

ATTENTION: PLEASE READ!!!

We need to provide some important information about this Browning Hi-Power. When this example has the wood stock attached, it classifies it as a NFA Class 3 item. We will ship this Browning Hi-Power without the stock attached and not in SBR form. Attaching a stock to this will require the buyer to register this firearm as a NFA item. We apologize for any inconvience this may have caused. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Really?
I started this thread on 10/19......three days before they added that information. Dude, buy a calendar.

But please, continue...

I did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Google "constructive possession". Thats why you don't have a stock/holster and a pistol it can attach to in your possession.
View Quote

I stand corrected

I was under the recollection that "constructive possession" went out the window with the 1992 case United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Co.

Just re-read the decision to refresh my memory.  There would have to be a lawful configuration available for constructive possession to not be applicable

HERE is more recent case from 2009

Seller would in fact need to possess a >16" HiPower barrel for that to be kosher

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
SOLD! Lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:59:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eric802] [#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top