Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2021 10:09:03 PM EDT
I think my midsection is too short.  I find I have to lean to one side to draw a 1911 from a belt holster.  I'd like a lower-ride holster but no one seems to make one.

Also, I'd like to carry my 1911 in summer without a shoulder holster.

So, considering an Andrews' Leather McDaniel II Cross draw.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll carry cross draw if I have a long road trip planned.
I just use a vertical draw / no cant OWB holster on the opposite side.

Most recent road trip, I pocket carried my Ruger LC9s in a leg cargo pocket. Found that to be even more comfortable than cross draw hip carry for a 10 hour drive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Appendix carry inside the pants would be faster. It telegraphs what’s going on to cross draw or use a shoulder holster. You might find a Glock 43 size pistol easier to do that with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Some people might argue that it opens you up to loss of the forearm during an attack but I say it's no more dangerous than open carry.
More comfortable probably.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Not for me.

Wife kinda half-ass does. Most of her yoga pants have a pocket type deal on the left appendix that fits her pistol in a basic iwb holster well. So a really-far appendix carry?

She’s short so it keeps the pistol from digging into her ribs on the side.

I have no issue driving long distance with my pistol on the hip iwb or owb. Sometimes I might carry a smaller piece on me, and tuck a larger, holstered piece between the seat and console (jam that fucker in so it doesn’t slide if you have to slam on the brakes).

Open carry? That may allow you the drop to be comfortable. You can only drop IWB so low before it becomes unusable.

Is it hard to clear leather, or get your grip? You could switch to a commander or officer’s model if the barrel length is the issue.

Do you wear your pants on your hips or at your bellybutton? Shouldn’t be much issue if your belt line is at the actual waist. The super high rise trash pile that is current women’s pants is the main reason the wife doesn’t hip carry and finds the modified appendix comfortable. It puts the gun above the waist entirely.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Cross draw has become my primary carry lately.  

I have a Privateer Leather for my P320 that I like so much I asked Wes to make me another for my P239.  He's developed a great crossdraw magazine holster for the right side as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Some people might argue that it opens you up to loss of the forearm during an attack but I say it's no more dangerous than open carry.
More comfortable probably.
View Quote

When I OC, I carry it cross draw, but it's not my primary.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I run a shoulder holster 99% of the time. If I use a OWB I’ve got a holster that I run Crossdraw. So in a way yes always but in another not often in the traditional since. One of the big detractors people often mention is your arm can be trapped during the draw. However I find it’s also far easier to draw with either hand in a cross/shoulder holster to me that’s a big up. As with anything you need good equipment and you need to train with it the way you will use it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Privateer Leather makes three holsters of different ride height - Cultass (low), Raider (mid) and the Explorer (high).
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Privateer Leather?  I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THEM!  Forgot their name.....THANKS!

I'd like to try a low-ride holster but they don't make a thumb break (or didn't when I asked a couple of years ago).

Good info guys, I might try cross draw now.

The 1911 I have (and want to carry) is a "Commander" version, the Smith and Wesson 1911 SC Round Butt to be exact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top