Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/31/2019 9:36:08 PM EDT
I’ve been looking to get a fun range toy/plinker to just enjoy. I’ve been eyeballing the Ruger Wrangler lately, my local shop sells them for $200 but they sell out as soon as they get in and they have a wait list currently.

Anyone else have one and can they relay their experience? My father has a Heritage Rough Rider but I hate the safety on it
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not shot mine yet. However, I’m impressed with the build quality.

They are hard to find. I’ve been looking since it was first announced.

Kept checking Tombstone Tacticals website several times daily. Then bam, they had a Bronze one in stock.
Logged into my account and scooped her up.

Tombstone is local to me. Paid $178.80 + tax

Shown with my 1957 SS

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The bronze or matte finish one is the one I’m looking to get. My local shop has been pissing me off lately with overpricing stuff and not wanting to negotiate anymore cause of new employees. The ones who were worth a damn have all left.

Thankfully buddy of mine has his FFL and I can get it sent to him. Might’ve the route I end up going
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had one for a  month or so. Works well with standard, high, and hyper velocity ammo. Shoots on with the fixed sights to 50 yards. I think they are a great value.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]

I've had mine just under a month.  Mine has shot OK, but it's accurate enough to be fun.  I just replaced the grips on it to what you see in the pictures, that might help me shoot a little better with it (factory grips were a little small in my hands), but the fixed sights are also a little hard to see on a dimly lit indoor range.

Hard to beat for the price, though, and a worthy replacement for the single six I had to sell (though I've not been able to shoot it quite as well as my old Single Six, which was no rack driver itself).  They smooth up with oil and shooting.

The price was what attracted me to it originally, the build quality is what's going to keep it in my collection
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Have not even seen one in person yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have not even seen one in person yet.
View Quote
Neither had I before I ordered it shipped to my LGS.

Started out as "not bad for the price", and got closer to Single Six feel after a healthy oiling, and even closer still with good grips.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to make the statement of “If your sitting on the fence, don’t, just fo “

Sadly they are hens teeth.

However, one should not be disappointed once in the hand.

Still waiting to get the black version.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got one sent to my FFL, a black one. I bought it without ever seeing one in the wild, because there ain't any in the wild.

It was impossible to pick up with my camera but for you guys with Wranglers, is the bluing on your cylinder somewhat patchy in consistency? I don't know if that's part of the cost savings of the Wrangler or a byproduct of trying to churn these out as quickly as possible due to demand, but at least on mine there are swaths of area with real light bluing while the rest is deep. Still a good buy no doubt!

Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the deal with Ruger producing these?  Is demand that crazy?
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the deal with Ruger producing these?  Is demand that crazy?
View Quote
Remember all that 22 ammo that was bought a few years ago?

These are fun little guns, inexpensive and good quality, sells. My dealer sells all he gets in.

I bought the bronze one, will probably pick up another sometime down the road.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Shot my brothers bronze one this summer, shoots great and got a black one after hunting for one for 6 weeks.the cylinder shows some minor wear quick

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
For anyone interested, Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield, CA had all three on the shelf last week.

I was out there for work, but was too distracted by other stuff to remember to ask about the wrangler's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure how they keep the price so low other than the cheaper finish ?

Is this a steel gun or is much of it zinc (potmetal) or some such?

I am a suspicious old grump that can't but help think there is a catch here somewhere.
Got to wonder how these will hold up to lots of use?

In my area a used single six seems to go for $350 ,have to wonder if that might be the better deal in the long run.

Of course I lucked out 5 or so years back and grabbed a blued single six with both cylinders for $135 so I am out of the loop.

Truth is a single action rim fire bores me with the slowness of reloading , most all of my rimfire shooting is my 617 or one of several semi auto rimfires.

I will be interested to follow these  new Rugers
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure how they keep the price so low other than the cheaper finish ?

Is this a steel gun or is much of it zinc (potmetal) or some such?

I am a suspicious old grump that can't but help think there is a catch here somewhere.
Got to wonder how these will hold up to lots of use?

In my area a used single six seems to go for $350 ,have to wonder if that might be the better deal in the long run.

Of course I lucked out 5 or so years back and grabbed a blued single six with both cylinders for $135 so I am out of the loop.

Truth is a single action rim fire bores me with the slowness of reloading , most all of my rimfire shooting is my 617 or one of several semi auto rimfires.

I will be interested to follow these  new Rugers
View Quote
Steel barrel and cylinder.  Frame is Aluminum. The grip frame is Zamak(Zinc)

I like mine. SMGA had them on sale for $179 delivered when they first came out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Steel barrel and cylinder.  Frame is Aluminum. The grip frame is Zamak(Zinc)

I like mine. SMGA had them on sale for $179 delivered when they first came out.
View Quote
All of this.

Finish on most of the gun is Cerakoted, cylinders are blued.  Doesn't come with a second cylinder (which makes me wonder how much a Single Six would cost if they didn't, either).  MIM hammer and trigger.

In my AO, a used single six is more in the 450-500 range, and the only used single sixes I saw online for less than 400 would cost for shipping, and invariably would've cost a bit more time for touching up the finish and/or replacing cracked grips.  Meanwhile, my Wrangler was $205 after transfer, and then I added the grips.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Trigger pull is horrible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Trigger pull is horrible.
View Quote
Can you expand?
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought it was cerakoted.

Is that considered cheap?

I get that in scale production it doesn't cost them what it cost us, but I don't think I call it cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone heard if Ruger will offer other colors than the 3 they have now for the Wrangler?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a black one today. First one I've ever seen in a shop and I've been looking since they came out. They had a bronze one too, but the black looked better imo. Feels really well built and solid. Much better than a Rough Rider and pretty close to my dad's old Single Six. I shot a few cylinders of 22LR and 22 short through it today. Super fun and pretty accurate. I think I'll make some Walnut grips for it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I picked up a black one today. First one I've ever seen in a shop and I've been looking since they came out. They had a bronze one too, but the black looked better imo. Feels really well built and solid. Much better than a Rough Rider and pretty close to my dad's old Single Six. I shot a few cylinders of 22LR and 22 short through it today. Super fun and pretty accurate. I think I'll make some Walnut grips for it.
View Quote
Let us see pics when you get it done please.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I like mine a lot. I had been itching for a 22 revolver for a while. I wanted to find a double action to match my Dan Wesson 15-2, but I realistically can't afford something in the 500-600 range. I had been looking through my distributors and couldn't find one, but a quick call to another shop that is a Ruger dealer and they had all three colors in stock. I bought a silver one, and I enjoy it a lot. I've only had it for three days and I have already put 400 rounds through it during of time at work.

Initially I didn't know how I would like the fixed sights, but I have actually grown to like them. I have shot it out to 25 yards with federal auto match, and it shoot to point of aim.

I swapped out the grips with a Ruger single six that we have on the rental line just to see how they contrast with the silver cerakote. I'm gonna try to make a set out of some scrap walnut or something. Be a fun project to do with my dad. Also gonna be slicking up the trigger some. It is just a bit heavy for what I like in a revolver. I know its not a target gun, but it shoots good enough for me that I want to slick it up some.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Shot mine today, banging steel at 30 yards no problem.

Honestly takes longer to load than fire ... SA revolver after all
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Although I’ve not had the opportunity to shoot mine yet, really would like to see more availability.

Like to get one of each color.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I actually have an issue to report with my Wrangler. At the range last weekend, upon going to eject the empties after my first cylinder at the range, the ejector rod head snapped off when returning home.   Probably has 400-500 rounds through it, but I didn't exactly keep a precise count. Now that the head has separated from the rod, there's a minor casting void visible in the shank between the rod and the head, which I'm sure contributed.

Called Ruger, they commented that they'd never heard of that happening before. Asked for my serial number and my address, and said they'd mail me a whole new assembly. Not sure how in-depth an ejector rod assembly is, but I'll find out when I get the package in the mail. I asked if, instead of an assembly, they could just send me the stainless ejector off of a single six, to which they replied that they don't come as separate parts.

Oh well. Free to me, good Ruger CS. If it happens again, I'll just look for a stainless part from numrich or something. I've still shot this more in 4 months than when I owned my single six for several years.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I just picked one up this morning for $150 with about 100 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’ve been looking to get a fun range toy/plinker to just enjoy. I’ve been eyeballing the Ruger Wrangler lately, my local shop sells them for $200 but they sell out as soon as they get in and they have a wait list currently.

Anyone else have one and can they relay their experience? My father has a Heritage Rough Rider but I hate the safety on it
View Quote
I agree 100%.  A six gun with a safety is an abomination.  Every one of them should subject to exorcism and then smashed into tiny pieces.  Those pieces should then be melted down and made into a permanent memorial to the designers of the original six guns that profusely apologizes for such an egregious, unnecessary and downright despicable addition to what has always been as perfect a design as could be created during that point in history.

That applies to lever guns as well.  *shudder*
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought one a month ago and shot it a few times.  I grew up on Ruger Single Sixes and think the Wrangler is a good single action compared to the Six.  The price difference is where is becomes a great single action compared to the Six.

I haven't had a chance to shoot different brands of .22 lr through it to find a brand it loves and shoots to point of aim at 25 yards but to be honest it is not set up for precision shooting.  My old eyes are the bigger issue than the gun.

I recommend buying one and make it your life goal to shoot it until it wears out.   That's my plan.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Got a black one back in October, It or I shot well enough that I could tell the difference between two brands of ammo. I like it and it scratches the revolver itch.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought the first one I actually saw this weekend. Yes the fresh trigger is probably a full 5lbs, but the break is Very Clean. I thought the bronze sepia was what I wanted in a cowboy range toy, but this trigger in the black spoke to me...

Points just like a single six, unlike my friends Heritage that aims a solid 30deg left in my hand.

Looking fwd to the range trip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Saw some at my local academy for $199. Gonna grab  one next month.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Got a black one back in October, while I've only had it out once, I could see the difference in two different brands of ammo in POI vs POA. I'm pleased and it scratches the revolver itch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Ran about 60rnds today at 25ft. After some grip adjustments it puts most bulk rounds into about 1 inch, about 1 inch up and over right, using the top of post at top of notch. So about the same as my MK3 slab side red dot today.

It kept getting stiffer feed/ejection, so I will q-tip the cylinder holes heavily for next time (and work on 50ft). No obvious peening or dragging.

Overall excellent value!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up a used one for $130. It's accurate enough to compare to my Single Six and cheap enough to load up with shot shells and be my new snake gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Just picked one up 20 minutes ago. They wanted to much but I talked them down to $200.
I haven’t shot mine yet but for the price they seem nice and better than the rough riders.

Edit they also seem to sell out fast around here too and I bought the last one they had.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I have all three colors. I got the Bronze for $192 OTD this week.

I’d do the mix and match color,swap, but the silver and black are going to my daughters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have all three colors. I got the Bronze for $192 OTD this week.

I’d do the mix and match color,swap, but the silver and black are going to my daughters.
View Quote
I can see why. I took mine out yesterday and put about 200 rounds through it.

They are sweet shooters. I forgot how much fun single action 22lr is to plink around with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore is taking pre-orders for the Olive Drab version.  Other sites show "sold out" for OD.  The other 3 colors are quite common now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked mine up Wednesday while pickup up an Model 36 from my FFL.  I grabbed the black one and I love it so far.  I haven't been out to shoot it yet.  Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.  I will say that holding them side by side with the Heritage Rough Rider at my FFL the Ruger is a nicer gun.  The only minus I see so far is the loading gate is very stiff initially and my large fingers fumble with it.  I'm sure it will loosen it wit time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Before I tear into mine to smooth the internals, are these built just like the other Ruger single actions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Wrangler or a Bearcat better for kids to learn to shoot? Cost of Wrangler is appealing. Bearcat seems small for adult to shoot..
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I picked up the burnt bronze finished model. Fun gun but 6 shots goes by fast. A lot of reloading to fire 50 rds. Wish they could have made it an 8 shot. Shoots pretty well gotta ring it out some more this week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I've got the OD green one. It's a fun little gun. I want to get one in black also.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Just picked one up yesterday. $179 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Haven't shot it yet, BUT, I ran across a little tid-bit that should be of interest to anyone that has one. There's a video on You Tube titled Ruger Wrangler Dry Fire Warning that you should see. The owners manual states that it is OK to dry fire this thing "without damage to the hammer or any parts", but the vid shows how dry firing peens,(dents) the edge of the cylinder to a point where a cartridge cant be inserted. Got a Wrangler ? Check this out !
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just picked one up yesterday. $179 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Haven't shot it yet, BUT, I ran across a little tid-bit that should be of interest to anyone that has one. There's a video on You Tube titled Ruger Wrangler Dry Fire Warning that you should see. The owners manual states that it is OK to dry fire this thing "without damage to the hammer or any parts", but the vid shows how dry firing peens,(dents) the edge of the cylinder to a point where a cartridge cant be inserted. Got a Wrangler ? Check this out !
View Quote
That is not good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm. I've dry fired mine a few hundred times. Initially it was kind of gritty cocking the hammer, so I was dry firing it a lot to wear it in a bit.

No noticeable damage at all to mine. I'm going to go with Ruger on this, and if dry firing damages it, I know they will replace the cylinder since they explicitly state that it IS acceptable to dry fire it.

ETA: Just dry fired it 350 times. Zero marks at all on the cylinder that I can see.

Youtuber might have a faulty gun, Ruger will fix it if so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Pick up a Bronze one from my FFL this  morning.

I got it from gun broker, $189 shipped

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m one of you now.
Went Albuquerque today, stopped at my buddy’s gun shop & made an impulse buy. Loved the bronze color, had to have it.

Pics of my wrangler on my wrangler:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hmm. I've dry fired mine a few hundred times. Initially it was kind of gritty cocking the hammer, so I was dry firing it a lot to wear it in a bit.

No noticeable damage at all to mine. I'm going to go with Ruger on this, and if dry firing damages it, I know they will replace the cylinder since they explicitly state that it IS acceptable to dry fire it.

ETA: Just dry fired it 350 times. Zero marks at all on the cylinder that I can see.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No issues with either of mine, both have been dry fired at least as much as shot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top