Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 8:33:58 PM EDT
looking to boot carry, i have shield 9 and lc9s already. Any suggestions on holster or sew in to boot holster. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything except a retarded, idiotic, .22 “mini revolver.”
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Or some ankle carry rigs that work best
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Ankle carry is a really sub optimal method if you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ankle carry is a really sub optimal method if you can avoid it.
View Quote

This.

I only use ankle carry for a BUG and only when I know I'll be sitting most of the time, like office work or driving.

It's pretty much the slowest possible draw from standing for a primary weapon.

To demonstrate this point, I once had an ankle carry proponent make ready with a blue gun in his ankle holster while I stood 30 feet away with a foam toy bat. I told him that once I started charging, draw and "shoot" me as fast as he could. It did not take him long to realize the problem with his carry method.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm also looking to start boot carrying. I wear a tool belt all day, so my normal methods of carry are rather uncomfortable and hard to get to. Ankle carry is definitely not my first choice but it certainly beats being unarmed. Hopefully someone has some good recommendations!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm also looking to start boot carrying. I wear a tool belt all day, so my normal methods of carry are rather uncomfortable and hard to get to. Ankle carry is definitely not my first choice but it certainly beats being unarmed. Hopefully someone has some good recommendations!
View Quote

It seems like a pouch added to the tool belt to hold the gun would be a better option.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It seems like a pouch added to the tool belt to hold the gun would be a better option.
View Quote
I wish, but I work for a company that doesn't allow it. I bet if anyone found out it wouldn't be huge deal, but I wouldn't want to chance it. I also leave my bags unattended at times and retrieving the gun everytime would be rather obvious. On body carry is really my only option.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was an electrician or something I’d just add the gun onto my tool belt. We use bucket trucks and I don’t get to climb poles much but I should add a place on my belt for a gun.

I agree that optimal draw position is obviously best but you gotta make do. A gun on your hip is better than small of back. Small of back is better than a gun on your ankle. An ankle holster is better than a gun in your lunchbox. Lunchbox gun is better than your gat in your pickup. A truck gun is better than a gun at home in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish, but I work for a company that doesn't allow it. I bet if anyone found out it wouldn't be huge deal, but I wouldn't want to chance it. I also leave my bags unattended at times and retrieving the gun everytime would be rather obvious. On body carry is really my only option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What type/size gun are you planning to carry?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have attempted to carry a shield, but it was too big and bulky to fit under a pant leg. I have been thinking about getting something micro like a G42 or LCP II. I have also considered a J Frame.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I have owned and sold the the LCP2 and G42. Miss the G42 and regret selling. Lcp2 was smaller but they seem like a 200$ gun.

I am looking to boot or ankle carry for a back up gun but mostly just when iam at work. I sit about 50% of time at a counter and run around the shop the rest of the time
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in the same boat,  company doesn't allow it, doubt anyone would care, but i cant chance it . I know it not optimal and I would still carry the  glock 19 or shield outside of work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I've only known one guy that boot carried and that was several years ago. He was a big guy and carried a Colt Officer's Double Eagle there.

I tried to buy that Colt off of him, thought it was cool, but he wouldn't sell. I've since been led to understand the Double Eagle just wasn't a very good firearm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Hammerless snubby S &W 38 in a Galco ankle holster is what you seek. I carried one for years at work wearing roper boots.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've carried my S&W 640 J frame just in my boot.  I put a bandanna in first, to keep weight off my bony ankle, then the S&W in a IWB holster drops right in the space between my leg and the boot.

It's not DEVGRU Tier 1 blah blah blah approved, but if you're wearing jeans, and don't want to belt carry, it's a decent option.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Pocket carry? The tiny .380s all over the market lend themselves well to pocket-holsters, I have an LCP that lives in my pocket while at work.

I also opted for the 'older' LCP vs the LCPII or other .380s because of weight/size. The original is small and actually one of the lightest .380s, I think the P3AT from Kel Tec might be just barely lighter, so maybe look into that. Because if you are wearing lighter weight pants/shorts, having a big/heavy weight in your pocket can be somewhat noticeable..

It's also worth considering more 'slant' cut pockets on your pants/shorts, rather than 'U'/traditional cut jean front-pockets. This will allow for easier/fast draw, otherwise with typical jean pockets you do a sort of: "pinch, pull, grip, draw" technique. But everything is a compromise, I've never carried in a boot/ankle. If that's what you gotta do, then do it as well and efficiently as you can.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought my wife a glock 42 I might get me one for pocket gun
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I've carried a kimber micro 380 in the boot. It was a one time thing as a stop gap. It sucked. There also wasn't a rig or anything, just a small leather holster. I didn't have to walk very far or do it for more than a few hours.

Get a better tool belt. I have no issues with my shield 9 IWB under my construction harness, with pouches on it.

I wear a guardian cyclone with a Klein bolt bag and usually an electricians pouch on the opposite side. Usually there's pipe wrenches in the dump pouch, so that shit gets heavy. No problems with gun.

Yes. My draw time with that setup is bested by glaciers and congress, but at least I have a pistol on me. I'm also not terribly concerned about having to draw from up in the bar-joist...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
LCP in a Galco ankle holster.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am thinking that ankle hokster and a Glock 42, I've had both LCPs and sold them, glock 42 is probably the best .380 pistol ever made.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am thinking that ankle hokster and a Glock 42, I've had both LCPs and sold them, glock 42 is probably the best .380 pistol ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the LCP because it is so small. Mine has been 100% reliable. Accuracy is acceptable. It's a really uncomfortable gun to shoot but I can't imagine anything even slightly bigger on my ankle.

Even the LCP prints a bit I'm just not counting on anyone looking at my ankle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pocket carry? The tiny .380s all over the market lend themselves well to pocket-holsters, I have an LCP that lives in my pocket while at work.

I also opted for the 'older' LCP vs the LCPII or other .380s because of weight/size. The original is small and actually one of the lightest .380s, I think the P3AT from Kel Tec might be just barely lighter, so maybe look into that. Because if you are wearing lighter weight pants/shorts, having a big/heavy weight in your pocket can be somewhat noticeable..

It's also worth considering more 'slant' cut pockets on your pants/shorts, rather than 'U'/traditional cut jean front-pockets. This will allow for easier/fast draw, otherwise with typical jean pockets you do a sort of: "pinch, pull, grip, draw" technique. But everything is a compromise, I've never carried in a boot/ankle. If that's what you gotta do, then do it as well and efficiently as you can.
View Quote

Pocket carry of a .380 is easy wi try a good wallet type holster. Looks like a wallet, draws as fast as a pocket knife. And quality .380 is the 9mm of 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
When I did mechanic work I carried a small thin semi-auto in a pocket, and positioned the belt and pouches to allow me to get to it. Not super fast but far better than ankle carry. A $190 Beretta Pico is perfect for this, since it's thin enough that even a pouch sitting directly on it isn't uncomfortable. LCP is also fine, but I think the Beretta Pico has better sights by far. Stay away from a revolver unless you already have one, in my experience the thickness of the cylinder can be quite uncomfortable if a pouch ends up on top of it.

The nice thing about pocket carry is that if things look fishy you can put a hand in the pockets and have the gun in-hand and half-drawn without alarming anyone. If things are fine, you just let go of it and let it slip back into the pocket holster. If things go bad, it's already mostly drawn.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
looking to boot carry, i have shield 9 and lc9s already. Any suggestions on holster or sew in to boot holster. Thanks for the help
View Quote

What type of work pants do you wear?  I wear cargo pocketed pants and used to have OG107s that had a inside button pocket inside the left cargo pocket.  Was designed to carry the CEOI or one time pads for crypto work.  It also held a Smith 442 or Beretta 21A Bobcat.  Since the pocket is sewn into the cargo pocket at the top, it never droops and outer bellowed cargo pocket camouflages it.

Today I would sew in another pocket for your carry gun and add a Velcro flap instead of a button.  You could also just sew a holster inside the pocket.  Your hand would just have to reach down inside and withdraw the sidearm.  Just another unconventional location that people will miss or not think of.

CD
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Those not allowed to carry at work, if you can wear a button-up shirt without a tie, try something like the older Kramer Holster Shirt.   I'm not sure Kramer still makes it but it is solid "deep carry."   There are other makers doing it now.

For those wanting ankle carry, I carried that way for a few months at a stop and rob.  

Galco Ankle Glove with the calf support strap.  Decent speed while seated and faster than a reload.  There is an "Ankle Glove Extender" for those of you with cankles.

I carried a Smith and Wesson 638 or 438 that way (revolver, shrouded hammer).

I do not recommend ankle carry unless for backup.

I opted for the thumb break and I am glad I did.  Actually, most of my leather holsters have a thumb break.  Just a little extra retention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top