Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2020 9:47:56 AM EDT
Looking to get a few military surplus mags for my M9. They are new in the package from about 2013. Any issues? I've heard mixed opinions.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If they are the contract Checkmate M9 magazines, I would avoid them personally. I found some original Beretta made-in-Italy M9 magazines with the thick baseplate early in Army career and have carried them with me ever since. While I haven't experienced it myself, since I haven't used them, I've heard about problems with the Checkmate magazines from other people, such as feeding issues created by sand and dirt in them and weak springs.

I've bought some Mec-Gar flush-fit 18-round magazines more recently when I've found them on sale. You can get them for around $24 at Grabagun and other places.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If they are from Airtronic, they are good to go, Checkmate...use for failure drills or just throw away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The worst part of the M9 is the issued magazines.  Don't hamstring yourself.  Go to Greg Cote, LLC and buy some Mec-Gars.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Mecgar is the answer you seek.

Different Types of Beretta 92 Magazines
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
If they are the contract Checkmate M9 magazines, I would avoid them personally. I found some original Beretta made-in-Italy M9 magazines with the thick baseplate early in Army career and have carried them with me ever since. While I haven't experienced it myself, since I haven't used them, I've heard about problems with the Checkmate magazines from other people, such as feeding issues created by sand and dirt in them and weak springs.

I've bought some Mec-Gar flush-fit 18-round magazines more recently when I've found them on sale. You can get them for around $24 at Grabagun and other places.
View Quote

The Checkmate magazines got a bad reputation early on because the .mil contract mandated Parkerization on both the outside and inside of the magazine tube. Parked inside + sand + spring in a tube= huge problems.

Later Checkmates do not have this problem. I bought 10 NIW manufactured between 2010-2015 from CDNN and they were good to go. No jams.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a way to tell on the magazine who it was made by and when? The ones I see do not have specific manufacturer names on them, just cage numbers etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By comma:
Is there a way to tell on the magazine who it was made by and when? The ones I see do not have specific manufacturer names on them, just cage numbers etc.
View Quote

If they are parked they are probably Checkmate.

I think those are actually some of the best mag bodies but they are parked on the inside.  Get an extra strength spring and, in me experience they work great, especially after some range cycles knocks down the rough surface inside the mag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I bought some beat to hell checkmates that are all from 2010-2011 and the springs in most of them are weak enough they won't even engage the slide stop while cycling the slide dry, but they're reliable as hell on the range.

If you're just buying them for range mags, I'd say go for it. If you're buying with the intention of carrying them, maybe spring the extra couple bucks on Mec-Gars.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Arty8:
If they are from Airtronic, they are good to go, Checkmate...use for failure drills or just throw away.
View Quote

I have a few Airtronic Service Corp NOS that I picked up at knob creek years ago. Never had an issue. In fact they are a well made. I like the base plate better than the OEM FS92 mags I have. I wish I would have bought several more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 220:

I have a few Airtronic Service Corp NOS that I picked up at knob creek years ago. Never had an issue. In fact they are a well made. I like the base plate better than the OEM FS92 mags I have. I wish I would have bought several more.
View Quote

How do you know they are Airtronic vs Checkmate? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
"Airtronic Services Inc" will be stamped on the left-hand side of the magazine-body.  They will also have the lighter-gray "powder"-coating that started with Checkmate-mags around the mid-2000's (I cant remember the date, around 2005 or 2006).  Airtronic magazines were supposed to have used a longer 11 or 12-coil spring first used by Mec-Gar when they were the original M9-contract OEM/USGI-supplier back in the mid to late 1980's.

The only "issue" I've ever seen with Airtronic-made M9 mags were the rough internal welds along the spine of the magazine-body, but they didn't seem to cause any functional issues that I've ever experienced.  Then again, the early Checkmate mags worked just fine for me too, at least with ball-ammo.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The Checkmates with the parkerizing on the inside can be made serviceable with some 0000 steel wool and a dowel or bic pen. Just remove the spring and follower, wrap some steel wool on a dowel, then scrub the inside until it is smooth. Lightly oil, then reassemble. While it is apart, it is probably a good time to swap the used spring with a fresh Wolff XP spring.

Checkmates that I have done this to work just the same like Airtronics and Beretta OEM.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Fatigued springs can be replaced for less than $10 each. Parkerizing can sanded out of the inside of the mag bodies or left in place as a substrate for solid film lubricant to be applied to.  Slippery coated mags began entering the supply chain in 2005-2006 iirc. PS Magazine had a write up on M9 mags between March 2004 and July 2007.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
These are the mags I'm looking at. Any way to tell who made them based off of these photos?

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cjk1:

That's Check-Mate's cage code.
View Quote

Yep. Checkmates manufactured April 2014. They're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

Yep. Checkmates manufactured April 2014. They're good to go.
View Quote

Cool. So no issues even though they're Checkmate? Springs and internals don't need changing/sanding?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cool. So no issues even though they're Checkmate? Springs and internals don't need changing/sanding?
View Quote
That was only an issue for a short time anyway. You're overthinking it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
That was only an issue for a short time anyway. You're overthinking it.
View Quote

Sorry. I know I'm overthinking it haha.

So last question. These will work properly in commercial M9s right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry. I know I'm overthinking it haha.

So last question. These will work properly in commercial M9s right?
View Quote

The only 92-family pistols they wont work in is the 92S with the heel magazine release. Commercial Beretta 92FS mags have a small cutout at the bottom to make them backwards compatible with the 92S. M9 mags do not have it since the military M9 guns and all modern 92 pistols have the usual magazine catch location.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Yes those will work very well. I have several Checkmate brand M9 mags, and they are good to go. From what I understand, the CMI mags had issues with sand but otherwise functioned great. So you will be good to go.

I don't really recommend the CMI mags, but using authentic Beretta mags as they are better in terms of wearing and overall function dirty. One of the big complaints about the M9 stems from the magazine, not the actual weapon. It's unclear why the military decided to do that, but it is typical for the military to outsource parts for weapons to the lowest bidder and CMI happened to offer the lowest, not necessarily the best.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#22]
The USGI mags were notoriously awful, particularly in the early 2000’s
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

Yes those will work very well. I have several Checkmate brand M9 mags, and they are good to go. From what I understand, the CMI mags had issues with sand but otherwise functioned great. So you will be good to go.

I don't really recommend the CMI mags, but using authentic Beretta mags as they are better in terms of wearing and overall function dirty. One of the big complaints about the M9 stems from the magazine, not the actual weapon. It's unclear why the military decided to do that, but it is typical for the military to outsource parts for weapons to the lowest bidder and CMI happened to offer the lowest, not necessarily the best.
View Quote

The story is amusing. Checkmate didn’t want to parkerize the inside of the mags but the miltary wanted it done that way so they were done to the specs the military wanted. As far as I know, it was only the early mags that had problems and any mags made after 2004 are fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top