Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2022 12:20:58 PM EDT
If yes, any EDC X9 or SFX9 owners?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what kind of info you’re looking for specifically but I’ll ramble on it some.

I have an EDC X9L. I think the EDC/SFX line are excellent. Mine is a very low round count I bought new, however everyone I’ve talked to or read about has had nothing but superb reliability with them.

I used to have to pin the grip safety on 1911’s. I have fairly large hands but I get so high on the grip safety that sometimes it doesn’t compress far enough to disengage the grip safety on a 1911/2011. I’d say about 40% of the time so I’m a big fan of them not having a grip safety plus there are other well thought out changes from a standard 1911. There is a YouTube video of Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn explaining the EDC features that explains the changes better than I could. I can’t embed it right now but it’s called “EDC X9 - Feature Breakdown” on the Wilson Combat channel.

The trigger is very nice but about as low in pull weight as I’d want on a carry gun. The sights are nice although I’d prefer to trade out the front F/O for something else for a dedicated carry gun (just my preference). The grip texture is very good while not tearing up undergarments like my preferred 20 lpi checkering. The shape of the grip is something you’ll either like or not really like. I can live with it but I’m not crazy about it. Although I haven’t found an SF to hold in person I’m pretty sure I’d take that over the EDC in a heartbeat.

I’ve owned and worked on tons of 1911’s a few 2011’s over the years. I carried them exclusively for a long time on and off duty, on SWAT, in competitions and built competition/carry 1911’s while being employed at Hammond Custom Guns in Gilbert, AZ for a period of time back in the day.

Although there are several good offerings in 1911/2011 style handguns I think the Wilson’s in general, especially the EDC/SF line are a great example of workmanship, value, accuracy, innovation and reliability. It’s kind of the easy button in my opinion especially if you want a 1911/2011 style in a 9mm chambering.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sendit14] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stater61:
Not sure what kind of info you’re looking for specifically but I’ll ramble on it some.

I have an EDC X9L. I think the EDC/SFX line are excellent. Mine is a very low round count I bought new, however everyone I’ve talked to or read about has had nothing but superb reliability with them.

I used to have to pin the grip safety on 1911’s. I have fairly large hands but I get so high on the grip safety that sometimes it doesn’t compress far enough to disengage the grip safety on a 1911/2011. I’d say about 40% of the time so I’m a big fan of them not having a grip safety plus there are other well thought out changes from a standard 1911. There is a YouTube video of Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn explaining the EDC features that explains the changes better than I could. I can’t embed it right now but it’s called “EDC X9 - Feature Breakdown” on the Wilson Combat channel.

The trigger is very nice but about as low in pull weight as I’d want on a carry gun. The sights are nice although I’d prefer to trade out the front F/O for something else for a dedicated carry gun (just my preference). The grip texture is very good while not tearing up undergarments like my preferred 20 lpi checkering. The shape of the grip is something you’ll either like or not really like. I can live with it but I’m not crazy about it. Although I haven’t found an SF to hold in person I’m pretty sure I’d take that over the EDC in a heartbeat.

I’ve owned and worked on tons of 1911’s a few 2011’s over the years. I carried them exclusively for a long time on and off duty, on SWAT, in competitions and built competition/carry 1911’s while being employed at Hammond Custom Guns in Gilbert, AZ for a period of time back in the day.

Although there are several good offerings in 1911/2011 style handguns I think the Wilson’s in general, especially the EDC/SF line are a great example of workmanship, value, accuracy, innovation and reliability. It’s kind of the easy button in my opinion especially if you want a 1911/2011 style in a 9mm chambering.
View Quote

I agree with everything you posted.

I bought an EDC X9 rail off EE - only purchase off EE - and it is AMAZING. It has been used but I don't do safe queens so all good.

I also have a grip issue; about 40% of the time I unintentionally engage the thumb safety and no bang. It really messes up my strings. I just talked to Wilson Custom shop about an overhaul service and will likely swap out for a low pro thumb safety. I also will swap sights.

I am also thinking of picking up an SFX9 no rail. I prefer traditional 1911 form factor for CCW and can use the EDC X9 rail for 2G stuff. Mags are interchangeable and holsters - generally - work for EDC and SFX.

Thanks for the good tip about the YT clip!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]

While I acknowledge the awesomeness of your choice, I am equally interested in the surface it is on. Can you share details?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a steel target
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
Looks like a steel target
View Quote

Agreed ... but ... he matched his marble to a used steel target?!?! Props to him, but really? MUST be single  
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#7]
I just ordered an Experior Double Stack, should show up in several months. I’ve always wanted a 2011 style gun, but never wanted to have to mess around with tuning mags or other reliability issues.

Basically it’s the EDC X9 frame except with a true 1911 slide (using an internal extractor) and no “XTAC” cuts and they comes in all the typical lengths; 4” bull, 4.25” commander or 5” government.

And one of these days, I’m going to buy a “regular” 1911.  It’ll probably be an alchemy or wilson… but will be a clean standard 1911.  All of my 1911’s are odd or nonstandard in one way or another.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#8]
I’ve got a 5” .45, and compact 9mm and considering an optics ready 4” SFX9.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
I just ordered an Experior Double Stack, should show up in several months. I’ve always wanted a 2011 style gun, but never wanted to have to mess around with tuning mags or other reliability issues.

Basically it’s the EDC X9 frame except with a true 1911 slide (using an internal extractor) and no “XTAC” cuts and they comes in all the typical lengths; 4” bull, 4.25” commander or 5” government.

And one of these days, I’m going to buy a “regular” 1911.  It’ll probably be an alchemy or wilson… but will be a clean standard 1911.  All of my 1911’s are odd or nonstandard in one way or another.
View Quote

Cool 👍
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I’ve got a 5” .45, and compact 9mm and considering an optics ready 4” SFX9.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/201D6909-4872-4882-B302-E495104F21C6_jpe-2680947.JPG
View Quote

Nice.

Have an EDC X9 rail that I picked up used. Will likely use it as my 'tactical secondary' and not care about kydex scratches, 2 Gun classes, etc then pickup an SFX9 for CCW
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I quoted myself partially to add a little info and partially to bump the thread 😅

Anyway I finally broke down and decided I was going to keep the EDC X9L instead of trying to get an SF. I went ahead and ordered the bright orange front sight with the small tritium in the center and I ordered the large backstrap.  

Man I wish I had done both much earlier, the front sight is awesome in my opinion it really catches my eye in the daylight so I don’t think I’m giving up much if any to the fiber optic and obviously it’s much easier to see in lowlight, darkness, especially since this is a carry gun for me.

The large backstrap makes a much larger difference than it’s .100” in size would appear to make. It feels like a totally different gun to me, it doesn’t feel so “round” in the grip, I’m MUCH happier with it now. One word of caution though, it may feel too large if you have medium to smaller hands.

These changes brought it back up to being tied to or actually ahead of my DWX especially for carrying.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]

I quoted myself partially to add a little info and partially to bump the thread 😅

Anyway I finally broke down and decided I was going to keep the EDC X9L instead of trying to get an SF. I went ahead and ordered the bright orange front sight with the small tritium in the center and I ordered the large backstrap.  

Man I wish I had done both much earlier, the front sight is awesome in my opinion it really catches my eye in the daylight so I don’t think I’m giving up much if any to the fiber optic and obviously it’s much easier to see in lowlight, darkness, especially since this is a carry gun for me.

The large backstrap makes a much larger difference than it’s .100” in size would appear to make. It feels like a totally different gun to me, it doesn’t feel so “round” in the grip, I’m MUCH happier with it now. One word of caution though, it may feel too large if you have medium to smaller hands.

These changes brought it back up to being tied to or actually ahead of my DWX especially for carrying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

👍
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sendit14:

I agree with everything you posted.

I bought an EDC X9 rail off EE - only purchase off EE - and it is AMAZING. It has been used but I don't do safe queens so all good.

I also have a grip issue; about 40% of the time I unintentionally engage the thumb safety and no bang. It really messes up my strings. I just talked to Wilson Custom shop about an overhaul service and will likely swap out for a low pro thumb safety. I also will swap sights.

I am also thinking of picking up an SFX9 no rail. I prefer traditional 1911 form factor for CCW and can use the EDC X9 rail for 2G stuff. Mags are interchangeable and holsters - generally - work for EDC and SFX.

Thanks for the good tip about the YT clip!
View Quote

Are you not riding the safety when shooting? That's my default on all 1911ish pistols and that's one reason why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top