Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2017 9:47:52 PM EDT
I've been wanting to buy a .44 to replace the. 454 I let go.
I had been looking at a 329pd as a lite weight trail gun but the 2.75in Model 69 looks promising.  I want a lighter pistol and don't care about the recoil

Even though I don't feel very threatened I've had a huge increase with black bear within a 100yards of the house it's pretty much a regular deal.   I see this as a good excuse to buy a new .44

Lee makes a nice 310 flat nose that at med velocity looks like fun.    Just wanted to see if anyone has one and how they like it .  Local store can do $725
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Will a 310 even fit in the cylinder of it?

I think 300gr really pushes it on a 29.

I wouldn't mind one, it's probably a great little packing gun. Would shoot it with specials more than anything though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 4 inch when they first came out. I love it, I think of it as a 44 Special that also has Magnum capability. I have not tried any of the heavy bullet loads in it, 99% of my Shooting is with a 250grain Keith bullet at 900-1000 FPS.

I also bought a 2 3/4 inch Model 69 when it came out. I haven’t shot it much, but it shows promise.

A user on another forum has done a lot of work with the 69 in both barrel lengths. Lots of reading at these links.

Model 69 2 3/4 inch

Model 69 4 1/4 inch
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think 300gr really pushes it on a 29.

I wouldn't mind one, it's probably a great little packing gun. Would shoot it with specials more than anything though.
View Quote
Who knows about the .300 only one eay to find out. I prefer slow and heavy but I can back down to a 200-240 Honestly I can load some mild .44sp loads and some standard magnum for carry and a little practice.    I'm not really worried about the smaller frame or strength.   10mm is my high round count shooting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a 4 inch when they first came out. I love it, I think of it as a 44 Special that also has Magnum capability. I have not tried any of the heavy bullet loads in it, 99% of my Shooting is with a 250grain Keith bullet at 900-1000 FPS.

I also bought a 2 3/4 inch Model 69 when it came out. I haven’t shot it much, but it shows promise.

A user on another forum has done a lot of work with the 69 in both barrel lengths. Lots of reading at these links.

Model 69 2 3/4 inch

Model 69 4 1/4 inch
View Quote
Thanks for the links.
The 2.75 is what I want.  I'll stitch up a chest rig and it will be perfect for walking my property
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a 329PD for a number of years. Its a nice super lightweight pistol and I like mine, but keep in mind that the 329PD has limits on what it can use as far as stout 44 mag loads. Buffalo Bore does not recommend using their heavy max loads in the 329PD, so this may influence your decision. That being said the 329PD can handle good 44 mag loads, but I don't know how strong the M69 is but something to check into.

My .02
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
According to S&W the 69 is good for full magnum loads.
I am heading over to PSA to see if any are in stock maybe I'll have one tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The Garrett Defender is too long for the M69, but you can get similar performance by handloading the Barnes Buster 300gr bullets loaded to 950-1050 fps and seated deep in the pistol case. Modest charges of many suitable pistol powders are published that will get you into that speed range giving you modest recoil, deep penetration, and excellent accuracy from that revolver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my local dealer order me one and it's supposed to be here Monday
The only one local in stock was at Cabela's of course it was $125 more expensive than what my small dealer guy would sell it for.   Not to mention the 30 minute wait for the two gun salesman's to take care of the 20 different people at the counter.

The good news is as I was able to pick up a nice 81  model 94 30-30.  Love me some lever action.

I'm probably going to pick up a couple Lee molds and just play around till I find a load I like.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the 4.25 inch version and love it.  Can anyone recommend a good hip AND shoulder holster for it?  I carry it in the woods mostly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the 4.25 inch version and love it.  Can anyone recommend a good hip AND shoulder holster for it?  I carry it in the woods mostly.
View Quote
Simply Rugged makes a good hip holster and a harness to make it a shoulder/chest holster.  Sourdough Pancake.

As an extra you can have them add a top strap to the holster.  If you hip carry, you don't need it but if you shoulder carry, you do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one and it shoots great

I wouldn't want to put the Gun on heavy bullet overload but to shoot a cylinder full now and again for an occasional bear OK
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Simply Rugged makes a good hip holster and a harness to make it a shoulder/chest holster.  Sourdough Pancake.

As an extra you can have them add a top strap to the holster.  If you hip carry, you don't need it but if you shoulder carry, you do.
View Quote
Thanks a lot!  As soon as the plastic cools off from Christmas that's what I'm getting.  Perfect for my needs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I know there are no pics but I picked up my new model 69.
What a bad ass little revolver.  Lockup was tight the timing was spot on and the trigger was not to bad. Overall I am ecstatic

I reload but since I have no dies I picked up some ammo at the small shop I got it from.
I forget the brand name but it was Starline brass with 200grain xtp loads.  Recoil was snappy but no big deal and pretty much exactly with I thought it would be.

I make my own holsters so I have some tooling leather and hardware inbound and plan to make a chest rig as time permits
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in the PRK, so I have a 10 day wait. I have one in jail and am really excited. I chose the 4.25" barrel........
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one in each barrel length.  They both have their uses, but for a home defense gun, I prefer the shorter barrel loaded with 44 specials.  I'll probably sell the longer barrel just because I don't really shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Hickok45 has two vids on the youtubes.

Better get one before it gets a dash..

I like the fact it fits in K frame leather I had already.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

....h.
View Quote
the LEE 310gr flat point gas check has two crimp grooves
you can load it long, or short

long fits in my superblackhawk without much to spare

short is no longer than a typical 44 bullet

200LEE ...265 ohaus Keith... and 310 LEE

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just pricing these out today online.  I want to order one really bad but I don't want to charge anything right now that I can pay off right away.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Ice
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was just pricing these out today online.  I want to order one really bad but I don't want to charge anything right now that I can pay off right away.
View Quote
Smart.  My theory has always been that if you have to finance firearms, you probably have more pressing needs than buying that firearm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Smart.  My theory has always been that if you have to finance firearms, you probably have more pressing needs than buying that firearm.
View Quote
Most of the time I agree.  My LGS always has zero percent twelve month financing on purchases.  I've used them more than once to "hide" stuff from the wife.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks a lot!  As soon as the plastic cools off from Christmas that's what I'm getting.  Perfect for my needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got it in today.  Got the oxblood color.  I really could not be more pleased.  They even threw in the little strap for the shoulder rig that goes to your belt gratis.  VERY nice stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one and love it. Great balance between weight and size for backpacking. I had my 4” ported which really reduces muzzle flip.

It’s my wife’s favorite gun. She completed her LTC/ CHL class with it and 250gr rounds. She had to shoot alone as no one wanted to be next to her after the first shot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have one and love it. Great balance between weight and size for backpacking. I had my 4” ported which really reduces muzzle flip.

It’s my wife’s favorite gun. She completed her LTC/ CHL class with it and 250gr rounds. She had to shoot alone as no one wanted to be next to her after the first shot.
View Quote
I was wondering about the noise just as soon as I read "ported" :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost ordered one this week. The short barrel. But I opted for a Ruger Alaskan .44. I wouldn’t mind getting one though, as another poster said before it gets a dash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top