Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2023 6:07:20 PM EDT
I've had a 5.11 TDU belt for the past few years.  I've rotated several carry options during that time and they all print to varying degrees.  Right now I have a p365x and even with that the grip prints.  

Would changing belts make a significant improvement?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In order to keep a pistol from printing, it requires a good stiff belt, a good quality holster, and you have to cinch the belt down tightly enough to keep the pistol from flopping around.  Also, wearing tight shirts will make the pistol print more..baggy shirts are your friend.

I can easily carry a commander size 1911, Para-Ordnance P-13, or Glock 19 size pistol and a 15 round spare magazine without it printing because I follow the above suggestions.  I prefer a 1.75 inch stiff belt and there are many reasonably priced belt makers now.  Using a quality belt helps distribute the weight better too and makes it much more comfortable for all day carrying.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear my edc in a Milt Sparks Versa Max IWB with an Atlas Volund 1 -3/4" G Hook belt.  No one has ever mentioned my printing yet.  I wear that belt because it's the stiffest one I've ever found.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
In order to keep a pistol from printing, it requires a good stiff belt, a good quality holster, and you have to cinch the belt down tightly enough to keep the pistol from flopping around.  Also, wearing tight shirts will make the pistol print more..baggy shirts are your friend.

I can easily carry a commander size 1911, Para-Ordnance P-13, or Glock 19 size pistol and a 15 round spare magazine without it printing because I follow the above suggestions.  I prefer a 1.75 inch stiff belt and there are many reasonably priced belt makers now.  Using a quality belt helps distribute the weight better too and makes it much more comfortable for all day carrying.
View Quote

I always buy quality holsters. Not trying to conceal anything crazy either Glock 19 and smaller. I’ll order a new belt.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I wear my edc in a Milt Sparks Versa Max IWB with an Atlas Volund 1 -3/4" G Hook belt.  No one has ever mentioned my printing yet.  I wear that belt because it's the stiffest one I've ever found.
View Quote

I’ve only had a couple people mention it. It’s not bad but there are times it can be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes a good belt makes all the difference. I use Wilderness 5 stitch, Daltech Super Bio and Nexbelt.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
So what you guys are saying is my 5.11 is hot garbage?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#7]
It's not the belt its the holster you need to go to an inside the waistband Milt Sparks  holster like a Nexus  It takes 6 to 9 months to order in. https://www.miltsparks.com/inside-the-waistband/

Wear looser shirts
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CherokeeGunslinger] [#8]
Here's what I do.

I carry IWB at 2:00/3:00, in a kydex holster canted 20 degrees forward. I run a Bigfoot 14oz leather belt with a steel core, and I wear a black T-shirt over the gun, and either a plaid or Hawaiian button-up over that.

Baggy and patterned shirts are your friend. Canting helps reduce grip printing. IWB is just naturally better for concealment. Steel core belts are better, but not necessary.

Now, granted, I'm a fatty so I have a fairly easy time with CCW, but it still took me time and money to figure out what works.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If you were already using a good quality gun belt, I wouldn't think it should change much if anything.  A good dedicated gun belt is a must though so it doesn't start stretching & letting it flop around.  I bought a couple belts from these guys years ago & they are still G2G.

https://www.daltechforce.com/
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
So work requires me to dress with a tucked in collard shirt which makes it a bit tougher.  I'm also in sales and can't walk around with a giant baggy shirt.  

I guess my real question was about my current belt.  Is it a decent belt?  I've never used a different type of belt, this is my second one I've ordered.

I did go ahead and order a nexbelt.  Had an amazon gift card to burn.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#11]
Originally Posted By pbol53:
So work requires me to dress with a tucked in collard shirt which makes it a bit tougher.  I'm also in sales and can't walk around with a giant baggy shirt.  

I guess my real question was about my current belt.  Is it a decent belt?  I've never used a different type of belt, this is my second one I've ordered.

I did go ahead and order a nexbelt.  Had an amazon gift card to burn.
View Quote

I think a belt that is stiffer than the 5.11 TDU would help, but concealed carry should be looked at as a system.  You need a good holster with a wing/claw and a pillow/pad/bump to help position the grip of the gun close to the body.  Where you carry matters too, and I find it much easier to conceal a gun in the appendix area than on the hip.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pd59] [#12]
I’ve been carrying since 2009, at the 7-8:00 position (I’m a lefty). I have always worn a Wilderness belt with the CSM insert. I like a stiff belt. I just bought a Kore belt last week to try something new, which looks very similar to the nexbelt, and man, what a difference. This new belt is STIFF. Holster is rock solid and does not move, period. Much less printing. Loving the ratchet adjustment as well.

That said, keeping printing down is both a combo of a good solid belt and getting your cant and ride height right on the holster. I mostly use a Stealthgear IWB, and I have the cant cranked way up to like 15-20 degrees. For me, that helps. I imagine for AIWB it’s different. Gotta try different things out and trial/error until the fit is right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought a nexbelt and a Tulster OATH.

I’m now carrying either full size or compact without issues. The belt helped for sure but I think the holster helps the most. The tulster is one of the cheaper holsters I’ve bought but I love it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had a 5.11 TDU belt for the past few years.  I've rotated several carry options during that time and they all print to varying degrees.  Right now I have a p365x and even with that the grip prints.  

Would changing belts make a significant improvement?
View Quote

I take it that you are carrying into NPE or on private property requiring deep concealment? I have found that shirts made of heavier material is needed to lessen the printing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have to wear a tucked in shirt, the honest answer is smaller gun pocket carry.

Have you tried drawing from concealment with a tucked in shirt? Very difficult at least.

I know lots of people who carry with a tucked in short, and ( not
Saying you are that guy)
That never practice a draw from a fully tucked in. Shirt. It is cumbersome and slow until VERY well practiced, and even then won’t beat drawing a smaller gun from a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#16]
So what you guys are saying is my 5.11 is hot garbage?
View Quote

Everything from 5.11 is hot garbage. At best, there's better options for the price.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#17]
You mention your work dress requirements. I have similar requirements and my office is city hall and very much a NPE. I use a Phlster Enigma. It doesn't rely on a belt at all. I don't wear baggy clothes and I walk around city hall all day, every day carrying. I go out in public to do building inspections and no one knows. There's no clips to be seen since it doesn't secure to a belt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Kore Essentials EDC belt is very stiff and the ratchet buckle works really well once you get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 7:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#19]

I did go ahead and order a nexbelt.  
View Quote

A good choice, you'll like it a lot.  I have 3 of em.

ETA, sorry, didn't see the date of your post.  You've probably formed an opinion by now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top