Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2018 5:48:46 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a good ankle holster I can wear with 8 inch high boots?

Long story short, It's gonna be for school I usually carry an XD .40 sub-compact IWB but once college starts up I'll have to tuck in my shirt everyday so my IWB holster wont work.

I'm not really a big fan those tuckable holsters by Alien Gear or Crossbreed, tried one by Alien Gear for a little wile and didn't like how it bulged out.

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear an Uncle Mikes, but most folks like those fur lined holsters. 

Gould and Goodrich comes to mind.

Alien Gear.

Desantis.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Long story short, It's gonna be for school I usually carry an XD .40 sub-compact IWB but once college starts up I'll have to tuck in my shirt everyday so my IWB holster wont work.

I'm not really a big fan those tuckable holsters by Alien Gear or Crossbreed, tried one by Alien Gear for a little wile and didn't like how it bulged out.

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks y'all!
View Quote
Ankle carry is probably one of the worst ways to carry. Especially on 8" tactical boots that scream "I'm carrying a gun".  If you REALLY don't want to carry IWB, maybe consider getting a smaller pistol and carrying in your pocket. Carrying in the backpack is also a viable option as long as you don't leave your backpack alone. Ever.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at C-tac Comp tac.  They are some of the thinnest IWB holster out there.  I just gave mine away and need to get another one. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ankle carry is probably one of the worst ways to carry. Especially on 8" tactical boots that scream "I'm carrying a gun".  If you REALLY don't want to carry IWB, maybe consider getting a smaller pistol and carrying in your pocket. Carrying in the backpack is also a viable option as long as you don't leave your backpack alone. Ever.
View Quote

I pull it off well.  I am no skinny fucker and don't wear skinny pants.  Nobody has ever called me on an ankle gun at some pretty high profile events.  A .38 snubbie disappears. 

It may not be the best method, but it is certainly better than carrying a piece of shit caliber in a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I pull it off well.  I am no skinny fucker and don't wear skinny pants.  Nobody has ever called me on an ankle gun at some pretty high profile events.  A .38 snubbie disappears. 

It may not be the best method, but it is certainly better than carrying a piece of shit caliber in a pocket gun.
View Quote
The fact that no one has ever called you on it means nothing. It's more about location than concealment level. Hands down the slowest draw of absolutely anywhere. Not to mention you have the bend over like a Thai hooker in order to reach it. Not sure what you mean by "piece of shit caliber", but carrying a G43 in the pocket would be a much better option in just about any scenario than a .38 snub around the ankle.

You can do whatever you want, but ankle carry is probably the least effective way of carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Vedder Light tuck

Yeah alien gear holsters generally suck.  Get one of these.  I wore my G19 with a tucked in button down and tie for a wedding at 3 o clock.  No printing or bulging.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about adding Ulti-Clips to your holster?  You can tuck still and carry IWB.

https://www.ulticlip.com
John Lovell did a video about them awhile back...
BEST Method to Carry Concealed + Bonus: appendix carry with tucked in shirt
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
In college having a weapon discovered on your person would get you kicked out where I went. I carried a S&W 3953 in a Smartcarry with a spare mag.

I dont do ankle rigs. That would be my last option.

You have to tuck in your shirt..... while wearing 8'' boots? I am trying to picture this dress code.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're set on ankle carry, Galco Ankle Glove is likely the best of the commonly available rigs.
You might need the 'extender' piece to get around boots.

I can carry a mid-size gun on my ankle over a set of Danner Arcadia boots without the extender, but if I were to gain an inch or so on my calves and have Hillary ankles, it'd require the extender.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have to tuck in your shirt..... while wearing 8'' boots? I am trying to picture this dress code.
View Quote
I thought the same thing
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
they all bulge a lot with a gun that size

Even with a light j frame or Ruger LC9 I never got one to really work especially if you site (unless you get overly long pants). They are really uncomfortable as well, at least in my experience. Tried several makers. Desantis was the most comfortable but it couldn't conceal shit.

For college I'd recommend a smaller gun and going with pocket carry. LCP, Kel-tec P32, Seecamp, that sort of thing in a quality front-pocket holster (Aker is the best I've found by far for both draw ease and concealability).
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
For ankle carry I use a gould and Goodrich boot lock. It laces into the boot laces so it is very secure. I used one with a 642, now I have 43. I use it as a back up gun while on duty.

If I were you I would try the tuckable in the waist band holsters again. I use a comptac and it is great. I usually carry a glock 19 untucked, but when I need to tuck my shirt in I carry my glock 26. Works great and no one notices.

James
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Desantis nemesis is a great IWB holster and not very expensive. More comfortable to me than kydex, and won't break the bank if yoy don't like it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

I wear boots a lot lately and I've had a few girls see my gun on dates that weren't surprised to see it.  Whereas 2 years ago when I wasnt wearing boots much, it was a surprise everytime.  Not necessarily a bad one, just not what they were expecting
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Kool.  Tactical?Type boots attract girls who are more gun savy/tolerant/supriseless.

Seriously?  Concealing a handgun by your boots that attract attention by themselves in a college setting?

Naw, that is called advertising your gun.  People who seek attention usually get it.

Nordic Goddesses who travel to hike and camp in Morroco sometimes go home in a box.

Stealth wins.

The Gray Man who shoots you in the back of the head with a .380acp is the winner.

The old fart who slices you with a sword cane is the winner.

The unseen submarine that pops your carrier is the winner.

No points for style while dying after being easily identified and neutralized.

Ankle holsters suck.  I quit using them when a south side banger tried to draw mine from behind while going up stairs in a Chicago L
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wore an ankle holster for the issue S&W snubby model 15 on my 8" flight boot for over a decade, flying all over the world.

Admittedly, the USAF flightsuit is generous around the ankle, especially if you leave the lower leg zipper undone, so it's easy to conceal.

I had a cheap nylon holster that had a velcro strap that went around your calf.  I had to shorten it by stitching a fold into the strap between the calf strap and the holster.  It attached with velcro around the outside of my boot.  To eliminate the wobble the weight of the gun caused I wore the gun on the front of my leg, directly over my foot.

If you're going to be sitting a lot, an ankle holster is OK, but if not there are better options.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I carried a G27 in a Desantis Die Hard for 7ish ish years working retail. You gotta be careful how you pick stuff up on low shelves or off the ground and reaching up also. I got caught a few times by coworkers but they never told the bosses. It's comforting to have a pistol at all but if you can avoid carrying that way do it.

I wore tall boots like you're talking about with Carhart loose fit Dungaree's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Find a different school.

The one I currently go to allows concealed carry and I’ve done so for the last two semwsters.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Switch to aiwb carry. Tuckables are a price of cake. Especially with DCC
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I work at a school. If you wore a 3xl school sweatshirt and pajama pants you wouldn't be out of line or attract attention. Not sure you need to tuck your shirt unless it's required

I also vote against off body. if you leave class to pee you'd have to bring your bag, and that gets suspicious. I think people would assume drugs first, but still
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I see I already responded above
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
carry iwb w/ tucked in shirt recommend a crossbreed supertuck or similar holster, it will be minutes faster than anything on your ankle.  I can tuck a govt model in a Milt Sparks VM II.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top