Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2019 8:47:48 AM EDT
Way back in the way-back days, I bought one of those new Taurus 24/7 Pro pistols, in .40 S&W.  I bought it because the glorious NRA had just given it their "Golden Bullseye" award, and I figured - hey... it won an award, how bad can it be?

Pretty bad.

It would only run if literally dripping wet with oil.  Soon as it got even a little bit dry, I'd get tons of FTFs and FTEs.  A couple years before the lawsuit, I even sent it back to Taurus to see if they could fix it.  I mean, I liked the way the pistol felt, and it was plenty accurate when it did fire.  I really, really wanted it to be a good, reliable shooter, but it just was not to be.  They returned it, dripping wet, and it worked fine, dripping wet, but you just can't carry it that way, can you?

Then the lawsuit.  The gun had been sitting on a shelf in my closet for years.  I read somewhere about a class-action suit against Taurus, something about these guns firing when you shake them too hard, blah blah blah.  Hell, I couldn't get mine to fire right on purpose, much less accidentally.  I never kept up with the lawsuit's or how it was proceeding.  Then, a while later, I read that the lawsuit had been settled, and all you had to do was call them and you could get some money, or your pistol fixed, or a new pistol, or whatever.  I was like, "I should call that number someday."

Last night, I finally remembered that I should look into it.  I called Taurus' customer service line, the girl was super nice.  She emailed me a FedEx label so I can send the pistol back to them pre-paid.  They're supposed to replace it with a brand-spanking-new G2C in 9mm.  Downside, she said that the process takes 16 weeks.  At that point, I'll have to decide if I want to keep the new pistol or just sell it.  Maybe use it for trade fodder someday.

FYI:  Their call center has relocated from Hialeah to Bainbridge, GA, so if you ever have to call them, the girl you speak too WILL have an awesome "southern belle" accent which will just trip your trigger, if you're into that sort of thing.  Much different that the South Florida folks that they USED to have taking phone calls.

I guess we'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do have to say, Taurus got it right with the G2C. The one I have eats everything I feed it and never had a hiccup. The only downside is the extra magazine cost but I have heard many people here say it can accept P226 mags without any fitment issues. I have not tried it myself but I will eventually. My G2C is a keeper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do have to say, Taurus got it right with the G2C. The one I have eats everything I feed it and never had a hiccup. The only downside is the extra magazine cost but I have heard many people here say it can accept P226 mags without any fitment issues. I have not tried it myself but I will eventually. My G2C is a keeper.
View Quote
Almost everything that I read online says that the G2C is a decent pistol, as far as cheap pistols go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 24/7 in 45 ACP.  Mine ran well, but I ended up selling it before the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a G2S (the double stack version) and it's very nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you are coming out ahead by getting a G2C. Taurus got this one rights.  It’s not without its quirks, but they are well built and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a G2S (the double stack version) and it's very nice.
View Quote
Single stack version?

Quoted:
I think you are coming out ahead by getting a G2C. Taurus got this one rights.  It’s not without its quirks, but they are well built and reliable.
View Quote
We'll see.  My 24/7 Pro has been a paperweight for years, so at worst I'm trading one paperweight for another paperweight, and since shipping is free and transfers at the shop I use are also free, it's only costing me a little gas money.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Good God.

I just got off the phone with Taurus.  They've "run out" of the G2Cs.  So instead of getting a G2C, I'll be getting a G2S.

These people are clown shoes.  Seriously bad at their business.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I might have to change my opinion.  I got a call today from a guy from Taurus who just wanted to make sure I was aware that they were going to substitute the G2S in lieu of the G2C.

I said, "Yeah, but I'm not happy about it.  There's no chance I can get the G2C?"

He said, "Well, we're waiting on a new shipment to come in from Brazil, but we have no idea when they'll be coming in."

"Can I just wait until they come in?"

"Well, sure, just understand that we have no idea when that will be."

"I'd prefer to wait then."

"Okay, I'll make note of it."

So I guess time will tell.  Eventually, either they'll ship out the G2S anyway, or weeks and weeks will go by, I'll forget all about it, and eventually the LGS will call me and say, "Hey, your new Taurus is here."

And the timing is odd - it's almost like they read the forum.  So guy from Taurus, if you're reading this, thanks.  I appreciate the phone call and the options.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
For reference

Watch Taurus 24/7 pistol fire just by being shaken
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would you not want the G2s out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why would you not want the G2s out of curiosity?
View Quote
I don't need a subcompact, single-stack 9mm.   If I'm going to carry a single-stack, it's going to be in .45 ACP.   In that vein, I've got a .45 Shield that I'm more than happy with.  The G2C would actually fill a hole between the Shield and my full-size 9mms.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Kinda sucks that you're getting a G2C to replace the 24/7 pro, but it's better than nothing I guess.

The G2 is a very nice shooting gun, I have no complaints with the two I have.

The trigger break and reset are very good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I kept my PT24/7 Pro .45 4" because it always worked perfectly and nothing was wrong with it. I also had bought half a dozen factory mags for it and installed Heinie night sights on it so there was no way I was sending it back for $200. It actually is one of my favorites. Its my nightstand gun and my vehicle gun sometimes. Too big for CC but it's a 12+1 so it has a lot of utility. But make no mistake, if it ever had acted funny it would've been sent back. I still see new ones for sale on GB, and at the same price they always were, $459. I would never buy another one but it is strange that if they're so dangerous that they can still be sold.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I kept my PT24/7 Pro .45 4" because it always worked perfectly and nothing was wrong with it. I also had bought half a dozen factory mags for it and installed Heinie night sights on it so there was no way I was sending it back for $200. It actually is one of my favorites. Its my nightstand gun and my vehicle gun sometimes. Too big for CC but it's a 12+1 so it has a lot of utility. But make no mistake, if it ever had acted funny it would've been sent back. I still see new ones for sale on GB, and at the same price they always were, $459. I would never buy another one but it is strange that if they're so dangerous that they can still be sold.
View Quote
I honestly wanted to like mine because it did feel good in the hand, and when it did fire, it was plenty accurate.  I just couldn't get through a single magazine without multiple jams.  Latest word is that they expect a new shipment of G2Cs to arrive from Brazil sometime in September.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I honestly wanted to like mine because it did feel good in the hand, and when it did fire, it was plenty accurate.  I just couldn't get through a single magazine without multiple jams.  Latest word is that they expect a new shipment of G2Cs to arrive from Brazil sometime in September.  We'll see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that was different. I got a call from a number I didn't recognize yesterday, just as I was pulling into my driveway.  I let it go to voicemail, and listened later.  It was from my FFL, informing me that my Taurus pistol had arrived.  I was all like, "Dangit, I TOLD those people that I wanted to wait until the shipment of G2Cs came in, and here they went ahead and sent me the G2S.  Ima have to see how to go about returning it."

I called the FFl back this morning, and he said, "Nope.  It's the G2C.  Says right here, 'Replacement firearm for Mr. Ceetee.' "

If this is true, then I owe Taurus a mental apology for all those bad thoughts I was thinking about them.  We'll see come the weekend when I pick it up and take it to the range.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quick update: I got the G2c, and immediately took it to the range.  I did not expect to like it. I was surprised.  With only random YouTube videos to go by, I really didn't know what to expect, so here are my impressions.

First, I really like the size. My EDC is a .45 Shield, so a comparison is definitely in order.  Size- wise, it's just a hair smaller in every dimension but girth.  It's a bit fatter.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's got a very loooooooooong trigger pull.  Long, but light.  Very manageable.  I was easily able to keep all my shots within an eight inch circle, shooting quickly as I could, at ten yards.  No pics of targets, because honestly, I'm no marksman and they're nothing to write home about.  I wasn't trying for accuracy anyway.  I was trying to make the gun choke, at which I failed completely. I just couldn't make it misfeed.

I only brought a couple hundred rounds of 115 gr ball - I had meant to bring some HST but I forgot.  Once I run a few hundred more rounds through it,  including some HPs of various makes, I'll probably make this my new EDC.  If it keeps on performing like it did today,  that is. I love my Shield, but 12 rounds of 9mm vs 7 rounds of .45, and in a smaller package to boot, is tough to argue against.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad you got it, and thanks for the size comparison pics with the Shield.

I have 600 something rounds through my G2c now. Mixture of steel case, aluminum case, brass case, 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, ball and hollow point.   I haven’t had a single problem.

I really do believe Taurus got this one right. Congrats on your new pistol!
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
I’ve got a 24/7 OSS in .45 ACP and ya know, I’ve tried to get it to go off like that with a primed case in the chamber.  I shook it, dropped it from shoulder height, tried it in DA mode, cocked and locked and even in SA mode with the safety turned off.  No pop of a primer at all.  Now maybe this problem occurred only in .40 S&W chambered models or maybe there was a bad batch that accounts for the shakey/bangy problem but mine never suffered from this problem and I never sent it in on their recall.  Now my 24/7 doesn’t see all that much use as I have other designs I like much better but stil keep it around as a piece of history from the pistol trials that this pistol was designed to compete in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I began thinking of this again and the last time I tried this was I my living room with a primed case with no success of getting it to pop the primer by shaking it around.  Well, maybe it needed a live round to succeed at the shakey/bangy thing.  I just stepped outside about 2 minutes ago with my 24/7 with live ammo this time and shook it like I was doing my best impersonation of Janet Reno!  SA mode, safety on, safety off, made no difference.  Still, no earth-shattering ka-boom.  No idea how these Brazilian cops got theirs to do this trick but it’s not something mine does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#20]
One major thing I like about the Gen 1 and 2 is they both have a manual safety that locks the slide and is 'down to fire' like the 1911. I use other kinds of actions with either a de-cocker or no safety (Kel Tec P11 where the safety is the long, hard pull) but I will not have a Glock or similar with cocked striker and no manual safety except the trigger lever. Anything that touches the trigger touches that lever which explains all the accidents with Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One major thing I like about the Gen 1 and 2 is they both have a manual safety that locks the slide and is 'down to fire' like the 1911. I use other kinds of actions with either a de-cocker or no safety (Kel Tec P11 where the safety is the long, hard pull) but I will not have a Glock or similar with cocked striker and no manual safety except the trigger lever. Anything that touches the trigger touches that lever which explains all the accidents with Glocks.
View Quote
If it just HAS to have a thumb safety, then I prefer it to work this way rather than being "up to fire" like some are.

Took it back out to the range last night.  Another 200 rounds of ball and a hundred rounds of 124 gr HST through it without a single failure of any kind.  I really don't want to like this gun, but it's tough.  Other than the teeny little sight radius, there's nothing about it not to like.  I especially like the texturing of the grip panels.  It's just grippy enough without being too aggressive.  My main complaint against the .45 Shield is the grip texturing.  You want to wear gloves if you're going to shoot it a lot.  I've NEVER put 300 rounds through the Shield in one go. But 300 through the G2c was nothing.  Recoil was very manageable, and it's accurate enough that I'm the weak link in that particular chain.  I have a holster coming today, and I'm pretty sure that this will be my new EDC.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have heard the Sig P226 magazine works in the pistol,(Taurus G2c mags are kind of pricey), so you can get some back up mags for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have heard the Sig P226 magazine works in the pistol,(Taurus G2c mags are kind of pricey), so you can get some back up mags for it.
View Quote
I've already got a P226, I just haven't tried the magazines out in it yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#24]
My G2C runs like a spotted ape. 400 flawless rounds to include 125 gr reloads. It shoots point of aim and feels better than my Glock 27. For $235.00 it is a great value, 13 rounds instead of 11. Taurus got this right. Hope you enjoy your new firearm.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My G2C runs like a spotted ape. 400 flawless rounds to include 125 gr reloads. It shoots point of aim and feels better than my Glock 27. For $235.00 it is a great value, 13 rounds instead of 11. Taurus got this right. Hope you enjoy your new firearm.
View Quote
I guess I'm enjoying it even more than I realize.  I mean, I was talking about it with a colleague (who is also into guns) and it seems that I was talking it up so much that he went out and bought one.  He paid $219 plus tax.  He likes it as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
On the Shield with the aggressive grip pattern, the great thing about these polymer grip frames, at least in that regard, is that you can sand the grip pattern a little to soften it if you wish.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Wow!!
I used to work with a kid that had one.  He was at a party and showing hus buddy his pistol.  The buddy shot his finger off. Cops come. They both get hauled away. Coworker loses his permit (CT)  buddy gets some unlawful discharge of a firearm charge.

Coworker swears no one touched the trigger!  We all call BS.   Coworker and I find other jobs and lose touch.  (Almost 20 years ago)

So maybe he was right!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Another quick range day.  Another hundred rounds of ball and 75 rounds of 124 gr HST down the pipe.  In honor of a revolver thread on GD, I broke out my 80's vintage S&W 686 and some fairly mild (for .357) Georgia Arms JHPs.  I was actually shot this little thing better than my revolver, at 15 yards and 25 yards.  It belies belief.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the update, and glad you are liking this pistol.  I have sure been pleased with mine.

No scientific testing here, but I did drop mine a few weeks ago. All safeties worked as expected. No bang, thank goodness.  Accidents do happen, so I’m glad the firing pin block did it’s job.

I’m still carrying mine and have yet to experience a malfunction.  And it shoots plenty accurate for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it just me or does it take customer service forever to answer the phone for everybody?

After my stepdad died I found out about the 24/7 he had being recalled.  It's been more than a month sent I sent it.  After the last call I figured they would've sent it to the shop once the shop emailed Taurus their FFL or called me to finish the process.  20+ minutes of holding so far today.  I don't even use a phone to call them, Google Voice instead.

Some of my first calls wouldn't even go through.  Another time I must've gotten lucky and was able to enter a callback number.

Update:  A total of 50 minutes on hold today.
And why the hell does it take them 6-8 weeks to get around to shipping a gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top