Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/21/2022 4:45:46 PM EDT

This is my new Uberti Hardin revolver.

It’s a limited-edition reproduction of a 1875 Schofield No.3 top-break S&W. It’s a six-shot 45 Colt with a 7” barrel.

The frame is color case hardened while the cylinder and barrel shine in charcoal blue. The stock grips are a dark synthetic bison horn. The action is buttery smooth, the trigger is light and crisp. It is, truly, a stunningly gorgeous firearm.

Here’s the thing…I don’t really “do” iron sights anymore. I’ve fully embraced the present state of technology in the industry, and that state consists of red dot sights (RDS) and weapon mounted lights (WML) on handguns. I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML. Alas, they just won’t come to their senses and bring one to market. So…

I’m forced to make one of my own, which brings us to this thread. This Schofield will soon be going off to my gunsmith to get a couple sections of picatinny rail properly affixed above the cylinder and below the barrel, in front of the ejector rod housing. Once the wheelgun has some proper rails securely attached, a X300U WML will be hung under the barrel in roughly the pictured location, while a tube-style red dot will be mounted and zeroed on the top rail.

At present I’m awaiting a grip adapter piece to attempt to improve some of the atrocious ergonomics on this thing (thanks to @Seven-Shooter for the lead). I’ve found a source for picatinny rail sections that can be attached, but they’re currently not in stock:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/1911-tactical-light-rail-prod27001.aspx

I may wind up taking the gun to my ‘smith without any specific rail sections and asking him to supply whatever he feels is best for the application.

I’m also currently considering aftermarket grips. I’m not a great fan of the stock bison horn, and I want to replace them with either some black pearl pieces or some engraved wood for a bit of texture:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920851003

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920849114

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920848942

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations for grips, I’m open to suggestions.

Further updates will be posted as they happen, feel free to ask any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If this was in GD I'd respond.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this was in GD I'd respond.
View Quote

I think your sigline gets the message across pretty well

Feel free to speak your mind in this thread, I know what I'm doing is polarizing
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a reproduction so it's not really desecrating it. I just don't really get it. The wml isn't in a great place to use it properly. The rds is actually a good idea if you struggle with irons but I'd work real hard on just using the irons.

If steampunk is your thing then I guess You do you.

I'd rather spend that money on some good leather. Or more .45 colt cases
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a reproduction so it's not really desecrating it. I just don't really get it. The wml isn't in a great place to use it properly. The rds is actually a good idea if you struggle with irons but I'd work real hard on just using the irons.

If steampunk is your thing then I guess You do you.

I'd rather spend that money on some good leather. Or more .45 colt cases
View Quote

It’s just for fun and to make something different. I already have serious self defense guns. Now I want to make something with a space cowboy vibe

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll jump aboard, and cast a vote for the "maple floral scroll" stocks.

Needs a lanyard ring and I'd have it cut for moon clips.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was leaning towards the maple myself.

Lanyard ring and moon clips are certainly a possibility, though be aware if it gets a lanyard ring it’s getting charms. All the charms
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Before going to the expense of a gun smith fitting picatinny rail, have you considered using a mount for a 22 rimfire dove tail and see if it will clamp to the top of the barrel? That barrel profile looks like it is close to a rail itself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So freakin IN on this thread!

I'm always interested when people go against the grain with firearms. It helps that I have seen what you can do with other platforms.

I absolutely love the look of a long barreled top break revolver. This one is beautiful. Making it more fun and practical is a logical next step. Ignore the naysayers
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Your Schofield idea is dumb because the light will be too far away to activate with any kind of ease.

Your SAA idea is dumb because the ejector rod housing is clocked and I can't imagine it would be structurally sound enough to support a rail or light. Not to mention, how are you going to remove the base pin for cleaning/maintenance?

Your RDS idea is dumb because neither of those guns have a thick enough top strap to offer enough thread engagement.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it. No "real" value as a repro. Sure way to fire up the boomers and "purists" though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your Schofield idea is dumb because the light will be too far away to activate with any kind of ease.

Your SAA idea is dumb because the ejector rod housing is clocked and I can't imagine it would be structurally sound enough to support a rail or light. Not to mention, how are you going to remove the base pin for cleaning/maintenance?

Your RDS idea is dumb because neither of those guns have a thick enough top strap to offer enough thread engagement.

Good luck!
View Quote

A mrds would be perfect on a Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
For grips, have a gander through LS Grips' selection.  

Or Texas Grips.  Or maybe Eagle Grips.

All of them have versions of what you want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My TRR8 with RDS and WML also tends to trigger purists, but it's a gun that was built for this weirdness.

(And yes, the WML is a bit more complicated to activate).

Another option that I might purchase in the future is a Chiappa Rhino, for many of the same reasons as my TRR8; there's no reason for revolver tech to stay static.

I enjoy my Schofield for different reasons.  And I know I'm somewhat guilty in aiding this madness, I'm very curious how yours will do with the grip adapter, as I've also contemplated getting one for mine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote

I do not disagree, it’s retarded all around.

We’re gonna do it anyway!

Just for note, the “tacticool SAA” picture isn’t my gun, just a sense of what I’m going for on this project - Classic revolver meets modern accoutrements. The light and optic will be going on the same Schofield
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like it. No "real" value as a repro. Sure way to fire up the boomers and "purists" though.
View Quote

It’s my favorite pastime
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:…And I know I'm somewhat guilty in aiding this madness…
View Quote

So we’re clear, I entirely and solely blame you for this atrocity
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For grips, have a gander through LS Grips' selection.  

Or Texas Grips.  Or maybe Eagle Grips.

All of them have versions of what you want.
View Quote

I’m seriously leaning towards the maple floral scroll grips. I think a touch of brightness would pair nicely with the picatinny and nitride optic housing.

Or I could go for the classic tacticool all dark look with the black pearl grips…I just wish they offered the black Pearl grips with the floral scroll engraving
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. Now THAT'S a top strap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who said anything about a mini RDS?

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Its got a weak action…
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its got a weak action…
View Quote

That’s the third time you’ve said that but you still haven’t explained what you meant. I’m not gonna beat on the thing, it’s going to be a range toy
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML.
View Quote

You should join the mailing list, I think there are about 5 or 6 other people who feel that way.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That’s the third time you’ve said that but you still haven’t explained what you meant. I’m not gonna beat on the thing, it’s going to be a range toy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its got a weak action…

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should join the mailing list, I think there are about 5 or 6 other people who feel that way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML.

I know, I took minutes at our last meeting.

We mostly discussed green bean casserole
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I scrolled all the way to the bottom thinking there would be a punchline. Oh well, it's your revolver.

Quoted:
Its got a weak action…
View Quote

Originally, yes, but not now. Firearms built in Europe are required by C.I.P. to be.proofed at 1.3x their maximum average chamber. For the 45 Colt that is 1400 bar or a bit over 20,000 psi. The maximum average chamber pressure for this cartridge where the C.I.P. is concerned is 1100 bar or almost 16000 psi. Way more than enough to drive a 250-255 gr. bullet 1000 fps or better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I scrolled all the way to the bottom thinking there would be a punchline. Oh well, it's your revolver.
View Quote

This whole thing is just shitposting in the form of building a gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/EA71FFFD-C813-445C-947D-5F264851A973.jpeg.3860edb34a463721bf1346140121a4cf.jpeg

This is my new Uberti Hardin revolver.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/EA30254A-FDA1-43E1-8813-C38A56E056B3.jpeg.8a92845ab4bb1720678cd60e58c5886e.jpeg

It’s a limited-edition reproduction of a 1875 Schofield No.3 top-break S&W. It’s a six-shot 45 Colt with a 7” barrel.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/EBC24606-192D-4B1F-80A5-91D3C5BC1D8C.jpeg.da04e1032231b1ad31a93a2ce5565afe.jpeg

The frame is color case hardened while the cylinder and barrel shine in charcoal blue. The stock grips are a dark synthetic bison horn. The action is buttery smooth, the trigger is light and crisp. It is, truly, a stunningly gorgeous firearm.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/B3AFD387-D199-4E0C-9D6B-7B8690FA8594.jpeg.5ab8a9e258f15c06aa1481eb9ed378bf.jpeg

Here’s the thing…I don’t really “do” iron sights anymore. I’ve fully embraced the present state of technology in the industry, and that state consists of red dot sights (RDS) and weapon mounted lights (WML) on handguns. I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML. Alas, they just won’t come to their senses and bring one to market. So…

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2022_01/CF3E81E4-FE64-4BC4-9E34-357F08C861CA.jpeg.ebacefa53f1a424709fb9de39310ef59.jpeg

I’m forced to make one of my own, which brings us to this thread. This Schofield will soon be going off to my gunsmith to get a couple sections of picatinny rail properly affixed above the cylinder and below the barrel, in front of the ejector rod housing. Once the wheelgun has some proper rails securely attached, a X300U WML will be hung under the barrel in roughly the pictured location, while a tube-style red dot will be mounted and zeroed on the top rail.

At present I’m awaiting a grip adapter piece to attempt to improve some of the atrocious ergonomics on this thing (thanks to @Seven-Shooter for the lead). I’ve found a source for picatinny rail sections that can be attached, but they’re currently not in stock:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/1911-tactical-light-rail-prod27001.aspx

I may wind up taking the gun to my ‘smith without any specific rail sections and asking him to supply whatever he feels is best for the application.

I’m also currently considering aftermarket grips. I’m not a great fan of the stock bison horn, and I want to replace them with either some black pearl pieces or some engraved wood for a bit of texture:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920851003

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920849114

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920848942

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations for grips, I’m open to suggestions.

Further updates will be posted as they happen, feel free to ask any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!
View Quote

I used to like you.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
whrez Flitz with the butchered Canik?
View Quote

Feel free to @ whoever. Is that the dude who “milled” his slide for an optic during quarantine with a hand dremel? My build will be a bit less budget basement than that, but similar spirit!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I used to like you.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore
View Quote

I take that deeply personally, random stranger on the Internet.

We have an optic ordered, and I got shipping notification on the grip adapter. Making progress!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
In my opinion, this thing needs some exotic gawdy over the top grips. Black pearl? Yawn. Too simple

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#32]
At least the title is correct.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I don’t get the point of the light. If you’re gonna get nutty, don’t half-ass it. M203 or don’t bother.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Feel free to @ whoever. Is that the dude who “milled” his slide for an optic during quarantine with a hand dremel? My build will be a bit less budget basement than that, but similar spirit!
View Quote

@gray50beast
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@gray50beast
View Quote

#crystalinestructure
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In my opinion, this thing needs some exotic gawdy over the top grips. Black pearl? Yawn. Too simple

View Quote

^^^THIS^^^

I felt the same way, was thinking a set of those "beautiful and classy" floral engraved pewter grips.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don’t get the point of the light. If you’re gonna get nutty, don’t half-ass it. M203 or don’t bother.
View Quote

The X300U is exactly the right size to fit under the barrel in front of the ejector housing without extending beyond the muzzle. Help keep the lens clean that way
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

^^^THIS^^^

I felt the same way, was thinking a set of those "beautiful and classy" floral engraved pewter grips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^THIS^^^

Maple floral scroll it is. Ordered
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
That brings our current status to grip adapter, optic, and engraved wood grips inbound.

I still can’t seem to find the rail sections I’m looking for in stock anywhere, if anyone has a lead on those it would be much appreciated
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@gray50beast
View Quote

I think it’s @grey50beast with an e
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Cerakote the frame and barrel FDE, and the cylinder OD.
And ghost flames, definitely add ghost flames.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cerakote the frame and barrel FDE, and the cylinder OD.
And ghost flames, definitely add ghost flames.
View Quote

Nah I bought this specific version for the case hardened and charcoal blued finish, not going to mess with that
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#43]
To be quite honest if this works out I’m thinking I’m going to also get a 3.5” barrel Hideout model and make a mini version with just a MRDS above the cylinder:

I fucking love the action and heft of this gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]
You do what you want, but I will propose some, alternative ideas

- Grip medallions on a separate set of grips that are intentionally hilarious. (Like Doge meme medallions)
- Swapping the front site/having it machined for A gold bead, or perhaps an XS big dot.
- JUST the MRDS - but IIRC that topstrap and hinge mechanism isn't super strong
I'd be careful with cut depth.
- A crimson trace style laser grip unit, embedded into the alt grips

IMHO maybe "semi-tactical"/modernized in some ways could be fun but.
Fuck man, putting a rail underneath the barrel of the schofield kinda got me - that's "whistlindiesel" territory IMHO
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lanyard ring and moon clips are certainly a possibility, though be aware if it gets a lanyard ring it’s getting charms. All the charms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you like charms, you get charms.

If you found someone to make a modified M1885 Cavalry holster to accommodate the light/sight......... that would be truly epic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The X300U is exactly the right size to fit under the barrel in front of the ejector housing without extending beyond the muzzle. Help keep the lens clean that way
View Quote

I’m sure the X300U fits great. I just think you need a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]
As long as you're OK with making baby Jesus weep and spending the rest of eternity in hell, well, it's your gun.    If you're going to do it, why not blast and parkerize the barrel and cylinder and yeah, I'd go with some sort of inletted grips with some type of talisman in them.  I'd use a Holosun or similar, not a tube type sight.  Bowen Classic makes some nice looking lanyard rings; they have also made an interesting looking "Commander" style ring hammer for single actions that would definitely look different on a Schofield and position it lower for easier cocking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You do what you want, but I will propose some, alternative ideas

- Grip medallions on a separate set of grips that are intentionally hilarious. (Like Doge meme medallions)
- Swapping the front site/having it machined for A gold bead, or perhaps an XS big dot.
- JUST the MRDS - but IIRC that topstrap and hinge mechanism isn't super strong
I'd be careful with cut depth.
- A crimson trace style laser grip unit, embedded into the alt grips

IMHO maybe "semi-tactical"/modernized in some ways could be fun but.
Fuck man, putting a rail underneath the barrel of the schofield kinda got me - that's "whistlindiesel" territory IMHO
View Quote

I don’t know what whistlindiesel is.

I’m not even sure the front sight can be swapped, I’m still not sure how they secured the one that’s on there to be quite honest.

WML is happening. Must be able to LARP in my onesie when the power is out
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you found someone to make a modified M1885 Cavalry holster to accommodate the light/sight......... that would be truly epic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will probably get a holster made for it at some point, but it’s fairly low on the list
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top