Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2018 2:18:44 PM EDT
The AE9FP 147 gr FMJ Flat Point has been my go to 9mm for Target shooting and stacking deep for about 5 years. It is incredibly accurate in my Glocks and I’ve used it to shoot a couple matches with my G34.

Last years stash was getting low so I just got 1000 rds from Target Sports USA. It is different.

The old has a crimp towards the middle of the case, the new does not
The new one has a longer OAL. The bullet doesn’t have as much taper and is just a different shape.

I know I need to shoot it first before making any assumptions but wondering if anyone knows why the changes?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The new bullet profile looks similar to the HST profile. I wonder if it is to mimic that? The old load is/was my pin shoot 9mm load. Please give us a range report after you shoot some.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You know what?  That "new" bullet looks more like the Remington UMC 147gr bullet
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Old stuff ran great in my AR carbines. New stuff turns it into a jamomatic.

I switched to Speer Lawman 147gr and have been very happy. Bullet is much more tapered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well damn. I’ll be hitting the range over XMas and will report back after running it through a Glock and an M&P.

May contact Federal too and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
One reason I try to stock up when I find something that shoots well, like the "old" Fed 147FMJ.

"We have a very successful and popular load here. Let's change it"...Federal marketing guru.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One reason I try to stock up when I find something that shoots well, like the "old" Fed 147FMJ.

"We have a very successful and popular load here. Let's change it"...Federal marketing guru.
View Quote
Fiocchi changed their 308A recently.  New primer and bullet.

I hate it too.  I wish they'd change the product number at least to avoid confusion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been running into a lot lately. I buy ammo maybe once a year in bulk. And on my last shipment I noticed several changes, not just Federal. Black Hills was another. Hornady seems to be consistent, they just change the boxes to make it confusing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
OP - please keep us updated.  I shoot this stuff through my G19 and just got a new shipment in and noticed it had the same changes you noted above.

I'll report back if I have any issues as well.

Did you contact Federal?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The new bullet profile looks similar to the HST profile. I wonder if it is to mimic that? The old load is/was my pin shoot 9mm load. Please give us a range report after you shoot some.
View Quote
@pumpkinheaver
Good thought - seems you were right.

Old AE9FP
New AE9FP
HST 147

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I’ll have to get a few boxes to try out before the match season begins.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Never seen that new one. Still have like 2k of the old style, reserved for suppressed shooting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several boxes of that stuff and from what I just peeked, they all look like the top one.... I got them in 2014ish...
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone test this stuff yet
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Shot both yesterday.

New stuff functioned fine and accuracy seemed the same.

It felt like it had a touch more recoil ... but if it was it was very very slight to negligible.

Seems gtg
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shot both yesterday.

New stuff functioned fine and accuracy seemed the same.

It felt like it had a touch more recoil ... but if it was it was very very slight to negligible.

Seems gtg
View Quote
That's good news. I don't mind that it has a similar profile as the 147 HST. But does anyone seriously consider shooting this FMJ as a substitute for function testing the actual HST?

As long as the function and accuracy are as good as the old style, I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's good news. I don't mind that it has a similar profile as the 147 HST. But does anyone seriously consider shooting this FMJ as a substitute for function testing the actual HST?

As long as the function and accuracy are as good as the old style, I'm good with it.
View Quote
I've stocked up on AE9FP (old style) because it matches up so well with my standard carry ammo (P9HST2) from a POI and feel perspective.  If the new style matches up as well and stays at a reasonable price, I will continue to buy it to use for practice/training.  As far as function testing in firearms as a substitute it for the real thing you carry (you neither, right?).  Gotta always verify that if you need to shoot life or death, you better be sure that your firearm will be ultimately reliable with your preferred carry ammo.  With the price of HST lately, I think it's fine to practice with FMJ, but qualify reliability with at least 100 flawless rounds.  Some will say more, some will say less but I think 100 is sufficient.  I shoot 1 mag full of HST on every range trip (the mag I have been carrying in the gun since the last range trip), so weekly range trips are already pretty expensive, but that gives me confidence I have a reliable firearm.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I shot this with the old style at 25Y standing / unsupported with a stock-ish Gen 3 G19 with RMR ... was pretty happy with it.  I wish I did a couple groups of each but just happy to be shooting so forgot.  I'll try to do a few groups next time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Just did a side by side comparison (myself and another shooter) Well not pleased with new AE9FP. Noticble recoil increase and it shoots about 2-3” higher at 10 yards than old AE9FP. However, I didn’t notice any group size increase. Maybe just a tad because of the slight recoil increase. It’s minimal but there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just did a side by side comparison (myself and another shooter) Well not pleased with new AE9FP. Noticble recoil increase and it shoots about 2-3" higher at 10 yards than old AE9FP. However, I didn't notice any group size increase. Maybe just a tad because of the slight recoil increase. It's minimal but there.
View Quote
2-3 inches at 10Y is a LOT. Double that for 25Y.

I need to shoot 5 shots of 147 HST compared to each Ae9fp and speed lawman 147.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

2-3 inches at 10Y is a LOT. Double that for 25Y.

I need to shoot 5 shots of 147 HST compared to each Ae9fp and speed lawman 147.
View Quote
I know, I was surprised. I’m going to bring a G19 and G17 next trip and also shoot some HST to see what’s really going on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok so I got:
ae9fp old
ae9fp new
Speer lawman 147
hst 147

In a week or two I'll shoot groups at 15Y with each and we will see how they compare to hst 147 out of a G19 with RMR.  I know it's subjective but I'll compare recoil as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok so I got:
ae9fp old
ae9fp new
Speer lawman 147
hst 147

In a week or two I'll shoot groups at 15Y with each and we will see how they compare to hst 147 out of a G19 with RMR.  I know it's subjective but I'll compare recoil as well.
View Quote
I’ll be doing a similar test after hunting season is over. Let us know what you find.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
My Glocks love the old style AE9FP.

I duplicate this round loading  the Delta Precision 147 fmjFP and 4 grains of WSF.

Thinking the new rounds profile will feed better in the 9mm AR's.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My Glocks love the old style AE9FP.

I duplicate this round loading  the Delta Precision 147 fmjFP and 4 grains of WSF.

Thinking the new rounds profile will feed better in the 9mm AR's.
View Quote
May be. But you’re right, all of my Glocks love the old AE9FP
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Later today ...

Attachment Attached File

@alpha0815
@nigla
@itchy-finger
@pumpkinheaver
@graniteclimber
@Linc5870
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Gun was zeroed for old Ae9fp, which recoils slightly less than new stuff.

New Ae9fp seems to match a little closer to the HST

Shot from a rest at confirmed 15y (laser).

Old stuff was the most accurate but new stuff seems good enough.

Attachment Attached File

Another shot ... shows groups a little better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice results, thanks.

I’ll be going tomorrow to test again. Think I am going to burn up the 500 rds of new AE9FP and start looking for something else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#28]
The new stuff seems plenty accurate if I'm seeing the results correct.

I liked the old stuff specifically because it was so mild and accurate. I have used it at GSSF matches using my G43. And it ran flawless.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#29]
@alpha0815

any results from yesterday?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@alpha0815

any results from yesterday?
View Quote
Yes, but didn't get any pics and didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted on pistol. Had to take a friend to sight in his new hunting rig.

I did shoot new and old back to back in my G17.5 and G19.3. Both ate well, I just definitely notice a mild recoil increase in the new stuff. The G17.5 was fine, dead on at 10 yards. However, the G19.3 shot them about 2" high (new). Old AE9FP was dead on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm

So, seems like old stuff is best but new stuff is second best and will have to do?

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hmmm

So, seems like old stuff is best but new stuff is second best and will have to do?

Any other suggestions appreciated.
View Quote
Pretty much. Really is a bummer...

Yeah, I'll shoot the new AE9FP, but as someone who doesn't reload I tried pretty much every factory 147 out there (5-6 year ago) and the old AE was the clear winner in terms of recoil and accuracy. My purpose is practice and shooting matches at my local club.

I spent some time researching and Googling and from the user reviews on the competition forums it basically sounds like Speer Lawman 147 TMJ for the budget minded person.

However, everyone seems to rave about Atlanta Arms. They make a 115 gr for steel challenge that they say isn't near as snappy as most 115 gr loads. Then their top tier is the 147gr JHP Elite. The 147s are obviously going to have less felt recoil. Link below...but pricey.

Atlanta Arms 9mm

ETA:  Atlanta Arms also offers a 124..didn't see it at first. It's under "premium" line instead of "elite". Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 1500 flawless rounds of the new stuff through my G43 at this point.  I'm glad it now feels identical to the 147gr HST and seems to shoot to the same point of aim, as well as serving as a closer representative for feeding geometry when vetting a new gun for reliable function predominantly with range ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Did some more comparisons.

its good stuff. Groups well and is a tad snappier than old style but much dirtier.

Side note. Shot some 150 gr syntech.

Wow!  Very accurate and soft shooting. Had like 30-40% less felt recoil compared to old Ae9fp. Seems very clean. This will be my new competition ammo
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
its good stuff. Groups well and is a tad snappier than old style but much dirtier.
View Quote
Could be the powder is a different lot of non-canister powder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Glocks love the old style AE9FP. .
View Quote
Mine too. its my go to 9mm ammo.

Anyone chrono the old and the new?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top