Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2022 10:10:26 PM EDT
So I have often heard all of the terrible reviews of the AE 5.7x28. I had bought a couple boxes of this stuff and fired it through my PS90 and never had an issue. Well, I just got a Five Seven and my PS90 reloaded ammo binds up my five seven's mag (works great in the PS90). I guess the PS90 chamber is different than the five seven's.

For now I'm limited to buying new ammo for the five seven. Does the AE 5.7x28 primarily not work in the five seven? I haven't had any issue in the PS90 in the past. I figured most of the complaints with the AE ammo is in the pistol platform?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:
So I have often heard all of the terrible reviews of the AE 5.7x28. I had bought a couple boxes of this stuff and fired it through my PS90 and never had an issue. Well, I just got a Five Seven and my PS90 reloaded ammo binds up my five seven's mag (works great in the PS90). I guess the PS90 chamber is different than the five seven's.

For now I'm limited to buying new ammo for the five seven. Does the AE 5.7x28 primarily not work in the five seven? I haven't had any issue in the PS90 in the past. I figured most of the complaints with the AE ammo is in the pistol platform?
View Quote
What dies are you using? Are the mags in your FSN OEM or did someone replace them with pro-mags?
I have the most fits, but are few and far between, with AE TMJ in the P90. MY various 5.7 pistols eat it fine..
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Factory 5.7 ammo has a polymer coating. Reloading 5.7 has issues without the coating.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
My 5-7 and PS90 eat it up without issue
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
My PS90 doesn’t like the AE stuff, so I bought a Ruger 57 to use my AE stash.  I know, no help for the OP, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
What dies are you using? Are the mags in your FSN OEM or did someone replace them with pro-mags?
I have the most fits, but are few and far between, with AE TMJ in the P90. MY various 5.7 pistols eat it fine..
View Quote

I use lee dies. The mags are all factory FN.

I’m still trying to diagnose the issue with my reloads in the five seven. They chamber fine but they will bind the five seven mag past 8 rounds or so. They stack fine in the ps90 mag though.

I had thought it was from the brass fired in the ps90 blowback chamber that may be causing the binding up issue
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Factory 5.7 ammo has a polymer coating. Reloading 5.7 has issues without the coating.
View Quote

I’ve been reloading for 5.7 for a few years now. I’ve always done the wash in simple green method for cleaning brass
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:

I use lee dies. The mags are all factory FN.

I'm still trying to diagnose the issue with my reloads in the five seven. They chamber fine but they will bind the five seven mag past 8 rounds or so. They stack fine in the ps90 mag though.

I had thought it was from the brass fired in the ps90 blowback chamber that may be causing the binding up issue
View Quote
I'm pretty sure the LEE dies are the ones that jack up the brass dimensions, that then only end up working in the P90/PS90. Do you have one of the available case gauges to ensure conformity of the re-sized brass? Elite Ammo has mentioned this to me before about Lee 5.7 dies. Not sure if he'd be willing to add insight.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
I'm pretty sure the LEE dies are the ones that jack up the brass dimensions, that then only end up working in the P90/PS90. Do you have one of the available case gauges to ensure conformity of the re-sized brass? Elite Ammo has mentioned this to me before about Lee 5.7 dies. Not sure if he'd be willing to add insight.
View Quote

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard that about lee dies. It makes a lot of sense for what I’m encountering. The ammo will chamber and fire perfect in both the ps90 and five seven, it just won’t stack past 8 rounds in the five seven mag. I don’t have one of those chamber checkers. I may pick one up as it’s probably a good idea for 5.7 reloading
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top