Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 12:46:08 AM EDT
Anyone prefer all black front sights as opposed to a fiber optic or tritium? And why?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Folks that shoot white paper targets seem to like them.  I “prefer” something easy to locate for faster center mass shooting and usually only focus on the front sight for such shooting.  For my needs solid black blends into the target making it harder to define.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Sights depend on what you’re using them for.

Target shooting as opposed to using the gun for defensive purposes

I prefer black rear with either a fiber or tritium front with bright outline for front

Only exception is on pistols with optics... all black backups but my RMRs and 508Ts have proven themselves reliable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone prefer all black front sights as opposed to a fiber optic or tritium? And why?
View Quote

No, black is whack.

A pistol front sight is smaller than a matchead, and its extended 2' away from your eye, and you're trying to see it quickly, possibly under serious stress.

They should be as visible as possible in all lighting conditions.

Speed Sights were the best I've used, both very big and very precise due to the diamond tip profile. If I wasn't using a RMR thats what I'd use.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of my pistols (and certainly my carry pistols) eventually end up with this sight configuration:

1. High visibility/tritium or fiber optic front sight

2. Solid black or black with subdued tritium dots (i.e. no white around the tritium, so only visible in very low light)

I do this regardless of RDS or no RDS.  I want to be able to quickly acquire my front sight without extra clutter on the rear sight.  If I'm using a RDS, I'm target focused so my front sight fades into the background.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
For carry pistols, no. I use Ameriglo Hackathorns on almost all my handguns that will potentially be carried. But on target pistols, yes. I have all black sights on a few of those. One related thing, I don't care for 3 dot sights at all for much the same reason as the post above me. On carry guns I like the front dot/rear blade all black setup. Thats just a personal preference thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer black rear with either a fiber or tritium front with bright outline for front

Only exception is on pistols with optics... all black backups but my RMRs and 508Ts have proven themselves reliable.
View Quote

I completely agree with this /\
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you prefer, and why?

I generally prefer a more highly visible sight than plain black.

Why? Because they're more highly visible.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I find my old eyes prefer the Florescent Green Night sights over Black, white or any color really.

Seems like I can get on them and on target the fastest with Green.  
I've done much better with ElCheapo Greens than other colored sights that were many times more expensive.

JMHO and those of my Eyes...
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Sevigny and Defoor have both marketed/endorsed the all black sight picture.

I think it’s nice on high contrast targets like steel challenge but I’ve grown more towards something similar as spydercomonkey suggests - high contrast rear/front to target. Sight alignment is part feel (index) but visually confirming the relationship of the sights to each other and to the target while shooting is easier for me with the higher contrast. Not necessarily talking sight tracking but transition/acquirement sight picture.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone is different.

I HATE black sights.  Unless very brightly lit conditions AND shooting at a light colored target you can't see it.

I like 3 dots when accuracy needed, so to make my front standout I paint all my carry pistol front sights red with Testor's enamel (can be hard to paint around the dot....) but it really makes the front jump out at you when presenting the pistol.  Blacking out the rear to make the front more noticeable never made sense to me over making the front post as visible as possible.

A lot of revolvers have a red front post, next time you shoot one notice how it really draws your eye to the front sight (which is where you want your eye drawn)

I do like the concept of the Speed Sights posted above.  Have a pair for my p226 haven't installed yet (and now I'm leaning red dot for that as my eye sight is making it too hard to focus on sights)
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up with black sights ( old school bullseye shooting and they excel for some tasks. Bullseye even steel challenge - good black sights on a white background as examples. Even daylight on uspsa targets black on light tan is great too.
I never had issues picking them up quickly ( with proper grip and draw stroke the sights are already aligned anyway) but will admit as my eyes age tritium and fiber optic are easier to see in poor light without question. But being so used to plain black, that is what all my guns have unless they come oem with something else.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I did until I got into my late 30s.

A black serrated front and a back-slanted smooth black rear is where you’ll find your zen. Or whatever they call it.

Bright fronts are a product of old age.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer a rear black sight and red fiber front sight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on the sight. The all black sights on my coworker's Les Baer Premier II are phenomenal.

But the all black rear and fiber optic front on my CZ Shadow are great too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer a white dot front sight like the plain stock sights on a Glock. I don’t even care for my tritium sights anymore because I can’t pick them up nearly as quick as a white dot. This is daylight shooting of course.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I always wondered what people who have actually used their pistols in a self-defense situation would say about sights.
It seems that there's rarely enough time to line them up when it all goes down.
At least, that's what every video I've seen seems to indicate.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
White dot front. All black rear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top