Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2019 2:41:44 PM EDT
Anyone running one of these yet? I think they are available online now. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically, but looking forward to some reviews. Still debating on another rmr or the acro on a glock mos
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They will be available in April.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Don Edwards from TNVC/GreenlineTactical has done some real world reviews using it.  He seems to really like it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
He who shall not be named. Multiple Artery Clog has decent RMR comparison vid up. It really fixes the mud downfall the RMR has. Durability and battery life will be there. Cause Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He who shall not be named. Multiple Artery Clog has decent RMR comparison vid up. It really fixes the mud downfall the RMR has. Durability and battery life will be there. Cause Aimpoint.
View Quote
Well he makes some valid points and yes, I believe this is the way pistol red dots will develop, i.e., in an enclosed casing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well he makes some valid points and yes, I believe this is the way pistol red dots will develop, i.e., in an enclosed casing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's really intresting is to see what the next iteration of pistol-mounted dots will be like.  I can only imagine Trijicon and leupold have been considering an enclosed design, Aimpoint just happened to beat them to market with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine has shipped. Probably two to three weeks away from getting my slide back from ATEi and then I’ll be sure to report back
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't find many details about how it mounts. It appears to use a clamp type method (similar to pic rail mounts) which requires a special plate. Do they make plates (to mount the Acro) that fit into a RMR cutout? Or does the slide require a specific (other) cut to mount the plate?
Also does anyone know what suppressor height sites lower 1/3 with these types of optics (since they appear to ride much higher than reflex type RMR's)?
I know Holosun will soon be releasing their 509, which will be VERY similar, and wondering if these type of sights will use a standard plate mount type?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't find many details about how it mounts. It appears to use a clamp type method (similar to pic rail mounts) which requires a special plate. Do they make plates (to mount the Acro) that fit into a RMR cutout? Or does the slide require a specific (other) cut to mount the plate?
Also does anyone know what suppressor height sites lower 1/3 with these types of optics (since they appear to ride much higher than reflex type RMR's)?
I know Holosun will soon be releasing their 509, which will be VERY similar, and wondering if these type of sights will use a standard plate mount type?
View Quote
IIRC Tim said they mount to a standard pic rail. So that's what you would want for a plate if so
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IIRC Tim said they mount to a standard pic rail. So that's what you would want for a plate if so
View Quote
I saw that video but he is incorrect. It's a proprietary mount, like a mini picatinny, used by the Nano/ACRO. a picatinny would be too big.

I don't have mine mounted to a slide, but I really really like the ACRO
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not a standard picatinny rail. It is proprietary. I posted a pic of a slide we milled for one on this page a bit further up. Similar in design to picatinny, but even remotely the same dimensions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a standard picatinny rail. It is proprietary. I posted a pic of a slide we milled for one on this page a bit further up. Similar in design to picatinny, but even remotely the same dimensions.
We can't see the plate. ACRO in the way.

ETA assuming it even is a plate. Looks like you might've milled it directly into the slide
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We can't see the plate. ACRO in the way.

ETA assuming it even is a plate. Looks like you might've milled it directly into the slide
View Quote
The slide was milled for the ACRO.

Tim is about as reliable as single ply toilet paper.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do not make an adapter for RMR-pattern cut-outs, but the do make one to adapt to T1/T2/CompM5 mounts:

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#17]
KE Arms is supposed to be making a RMR to ACRO Plate
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well that’s great to hear! Because I wasn’t interested in having a slide custom milled ($$$), when there are so many (already milled) slides available for RMR’s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have my attention...
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just checked and they already have it (and "in stock", no less)!
Looks kind of high, but I guess there's no other way to do that (rmr cut to ACRO type).

Anyway... here it is:

http://www.kearms.com/rmr-to-ACRO.aspx
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
My Acro is in. Still waiting on my slide to come back. That being said, the photos are all very deceiving. It’s marginally larger than an RMR. Dot is super crisp and glass is very clean and has only the tiniest bit of distortion on the edges; much less than an RMR. I think aimpoint has a winner with this one. Well see when my slide comes back. I’ll be sure to abuse it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Good to hear Bruce!  Definitely looking forward to seeing your plate as well!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Acro on an APC9K.  Mmm mmm mmmm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Available in two heights to accommodate virtually any RMR milling depth. We've been testing and working on this adapter for months and we're finally satisfied with the design! Made from 7075 billet aluminum (nearly twice the strength of 6061) and your choice of hard anodized black finish or Cerakote. Oh - and we made it low profile enough that you can still achieve a bottom-of-the-glass co witness with Ameriglo suppressor sights! ALL details are on our website! www.primarymachine.com

http://i.imgur.com/3LryLkh.jpg
View Quote
That looks great. Do you have a picture of one on a slide milled specifically for an ACRO? Don’t see one on your website yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Available in two heights to accommodate virtually any RMR milling depth. We've been testing and working on this adapter for months and we're finally satisfied with the design! Made from 7075 billet aluminum (nearly twice the strength of 6061) and your choice of hard anodized black finish or Cerakote. Oh - and we made it low profile enough that you can still achieve a bottom-of-the-glass co witness with Ameriglo suppressor sights! ALL details are on our website! www.primarymachine.com

http://i.imgur.com/3LryLkh.jpg
View Quote
That... is awesome. Will be getting a plate for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
ACRO has been out for a couple weeks... How are people liking them? Unless I hear something terrible, I plan to get one soon.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/64815651_1246017732226556_3343849640159084544_n-983825.jpg

I've had one since May 10th.

So far it's working pretty darn well.

Time will tell, but I'm betting the ACRO will turn out to be the most durable of the RDS sights.

The key to success is managing your expectations.

Aimpoint says the battery life on setting 6 is 1.5 years. I'm sure they are right.

Trouble is that the sight is damn near useless to me at setting 6. It's visible indoors in lower light, but not outside in the sunlight. To use it in the bright summer sunlight on the range, I need setting 9 to be able to see the dot. My eyes are not necessarily everyone else's eyes, but in general it seems like the max-life setting of 6 is not terribly useful to others in the real world. It seems that most who have the optic need it to be at a higher setting as well.

This is something of an issue because the drain on the CR1225 batteries the optic uses is significantly higher on the higher dot settings. The draw is exponential...at setting 6 it likely does last 1.5 years. At setting 9 the battery life is going to be weeks.

While I've been getting used to the optic I have tried a number of approaches to the brightness setting. One of those things was just leaving the thing on 9 (maximum brightness) and in doing so I killed the battery in less than 30 days.

This came to light when I was helping Tom Givens present the Rangemaster Advanced Instructor class (June 2nd & 3rd) and I went to perform my first draw on the first shots fired on day 1 and had no dot. I clicked the up button a number of times and still...no dot. When we worked on a black bullseye I could very, very, very faintly see the dot if I focused really hard. I shot the rest of the day with the suppressor height iron sights I have on the gun. While it isn't the best sight picture in the world, I could still use it very effectively. Just as an example I shot a perfect score on the updated FBI qualification course.

That evening I checked the sight and it was still visible indoors, but nowhere near as bright as it should have been set on maximum.

The next morning before class I drew the gun and had no dot. Only this time it was really and truly no dot. The optic was completely dead. I shot the whole day with the backup irons. Again, not my ideal sights...but I shot the FBI qualification perfect multiple times, shot the Rangemaster qualification with 1 point down, shot a 295 on the 300 point Rangemaster bullseye course, and earned a master rating on the Core Skills test.

The Gen5 Glock seems to vent shit at the very back of the chamber and that schmutz gets deposited on the front window of the optic over time. I found that annoying, but it wiped off easily and didn't really hurt my ability to shoot it.

So that would be the "battery issue" people are referring to in regards to the ACRO. I had it set on maximum for a prolonged period of time. I also shot it in multiple 500-1,000 round sessions where the gun got hot enough to be uncomfortable even when it was holstered. It was enough of a concern that I got an IR thermometer and took some readings on the pistol:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/61980997_1239864436175219_7850843730507464704_o-983848.jpg

My Gen5 G17 heats up faster than my Gen4 G34 does, and it retains the heat longer. The measurement there was right where I put my finger on the slide in the "register" position and it got up to over 160 degrees F. The muzzle hit 180 degrees. It was downright unpleasant to have shoved down the front of my pants.

I mention this because I also noticed that some of the heat was working its way into the ACRO mounted on the slide. The ACRO's temperature when I measured the slide there was over 110 degrees. Now how much of that worked into the battery compartment I don't know...but if the outer casing of the optic is getting its temperature raised that much it's a fair bet that the battery temperature is going up some too and that will have some impact on the battery life. Some, as in I can't quantify how much or give you a good read on whether or not that contributed to my battery not reaching 30 days. I think my practice with the optic was, at best, a minor contributor to the demise of the battery.

Since going through all of this and talking with other ACRO users I've come up with a battery management strategy that I'm going to use for the ACRO:

- I bought 40 batteries because you can get the quality Renata batteries for 8 bucks per 10. I keep packages of batteries in my range bag, in my glove box, in the bag I carry at work, in my tool box, etc. I'm within a few steps of new batteries at all times.
- I will use a grip plug to stash one in the grip space behind the mag well of the gun so there's always one on board, too.
- Since my pistol is not a primary HD gun, I dial the optic down to 5 at night and up to setting 7 or 8 (7 for overcast days, 8 for brighter days) when I put the gun back on in the morning.
- I will swap the battery every 30 days. As cheap as they are there's no reason not to.

Really there's no "battery issue" with the optic any more so than there is with other Aimpoint products. If you leave an Aimpoint micro sight on its brightest setting all the time you will drain the battery faster than whatever their quoted life on the optic is. This optic is no different in that regard, it's just working with a smaller battery supply than the micro and because it's mounted on a pistol you seem to need a higher brightness setting for the optic to be useful.

A proactive battery management strategy is needed...but if you keep up with that it shouldn't be an issue. Swapping a battery is quick and easy to do and doesn't require removing the optic so it's a two minute process at most.
View Quote
Thanks for the great post.

Were your successful days with the ACRO or without it? It sounded like without. How do you like shooting with it? Does it appear just like an RMR or is it better?

Also, where are you talking with other users? I am not hearing anything anywhere.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
John Wayne is spot on and mirrors my experiences to a T. I too, stock a bunch of extra Renata batteries and call it a day. Not having to dismount the optic to swap batteries and reconfirm zero is a big deal that makes the battery “issue” much easier to work with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s really funny seeing guys make battery excuses for an aimpoint after all the years of bashing EOTech when stocking double aa or cr123 batteries is much easier that the odd battery they chose to use in this light

But it’s perfectly fine now cause it’s an aimpoint
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got an acro a few days ago. Set it to max brightness. I’ll report back when the battery is dead.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I took the acro and a type 2 RMR06 outside and compared the two today. It was midday and very bright out.

The RMR is just slightly brighter when both are maxed out. Maybe this is because of the slight tint on the RMR lens, im not sure. But both are bright enough even in full sun.

No distortion at all really on the acro except the edges, glass is very clear. The dot is damn near a perfect circle on the acro even under a magnifier. The rmr is more of an oval. but does this really matter on a pistol sight? No not to me but worth noting if you want to put the acro on a carbine and use a magnifier. Both are noticeable better than my old aimpoint T1 which looks like a diagonal line under a magnifier.

The auto brightness setting on the RMR is impressive, and this would be a nice feature on the acro. The only time I am not happy with the auto setting is at night when using a weaponlight, but others have noted the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As an update I checked on my ACRO this evening at exactly 6:11 pm. This marks 7 full days (168 hours) of operation on the maximum brightness setting. No change in the appearance of the dot.
View Quote
Day 9... Any update? Has it burst into flames or died?

Very interested in the results of your test.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The optic had dimmed significantly as of 11:00 am yesterday. It was totally dead by 12:30.

Just shy of ten days on full brightness.

I had multiple spares on hand so it wasn't a big deal to swap it. I'm keeping one in the gun using a grip plug with some tape on the top as a just-in-case.

A few other folks are doing a similar thing with theirs and the 10 day range seems to be about where it is for maximum brightness with a good quality battery. Life is extended significantly by adjusting the dot down, especially at night or when not carrying the gun. Battery management and dot adjustment would appear to be features of living with the ACRO. It will be interesting seeing what sort of practices get adopted by any agencies that adopt them.
View Quote
Great test. I am still agonizing between an ACRO and an RMR. Two questions for you... Where are you getting batteries and could you repeat this test but leave it at 8 instead of 9 and see how long the battery lasts?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top