Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2018 1:25:39 PM EDT
The first handgun I ever bought was a used Ruger MkII. It's a standard 6" barrel in blued steel but had been upgraded with a really nice match trigger and a set of nice wooden target grips. I used to shoot it all the time but since I bought my first rimfire suppressor I really only shoot .22s suppressed, so it juts sits in the safe.

Since it's such a PITA to thread tapered barrels, I was wondering if anyone sells an aftermarket threaded bull barrel for the MkII?

I'm aware of the Paclite uppers but don't want to go that route. I'd prefer to keep it all steel and looking as close to factory as possible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The first handgun I ever bought was a used Ruger MkII. It's a standard 6" barrel in blued steel but had been upgraded with a really nice match trigger and a set of nice wooden target grips. I used to shoot it all the time but since I bought my first rimfire suppressor I really only shoot .22s suppressed, so it juts sits in the safe.

Since it's such a PITA to thread tapered barrels, I was wondering if anyone sells an aftermarket threaded bull barrel for the MkII?

I'm aware of the Paclite uppers but don't want to go that route. I'd prefer to keep it all steel and looking as close to factory as possible.
View Quote
only option besides threading the current one is replacing the upper. buy a factory bull for cheap and get it threaded, or get a Volquartsen upper they have a SS breach face
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with a Tac-Sol upper for my Mk.2. It has the threaded barrel and suppressor height sights. Pops on and off with no trouble. Works and looks great with my SiCo Sparrow.

Remember, on the Ruger Mk.2, the barreled upper IS the pistol as far as ATF is concerned. So, if you replace the upper, you are buying a new gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
For the price of a new upper, you could send it off to class3machining and have him work some magic on the original top half.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to check if Adco can push the sight back and thread it. They offer that service on the 10/22 for around $140. They'll also thread it in the new style for the o-ring if you specify. The did my mkiii Hunter and I couldn't be more pleased. The sight is mounted differently on the two guns but I think they can do the standard barrel. They sweat off the front sight, turn down the barrel, solder the sight further back and thread up front. Top notch machining.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Where did you get the idea threading the tapered barrel is a problem? 1000’s of them have been threaded.

If you don’t want the front sight it’s even easier.

Just found a MKII 22/45 I plan to do this with
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^i fucking love it! I've been looking for a cheap standard to hack apart and slap on the suppressor. What is that, like a 1 3/8" barrel? Looks so sweet with the can on there. Do those run well? I'm so into that it hurts. I have a Hunter threaded but it's a long piece of kit. The Ruger mk's make such phenomenal hosts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it’s like 1.5” or 1.750” but I can’t remember. The threads and video I went through seemed like it was fairly reliable with the can attached. I’ve got a shorty that’s 3.5” I think and then a few longer barrels. Probably get them all threaded at some point and cut one or two of the longer ones down so they’ll stay subsonic with bulk pack.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is what I had Controlled Chaos Arms in Baxter, Iowa do for me. The threading and front sight instillation at about $150+/- a few dollars and finished out right at 3" of usable barrel.

If I could only have one handgun, but a suppressor was allowed, this would be it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
That's probably a more practical way to do it. Super short and a red dot sounds like more fun to me
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
ADCO will do a great job and the taper won't be a problem. A 4" +/- barrel will work great.

Make sure you tell him which suppressor you're running, it makes a difference on how they cut the threads. Silencerco needs a relief cut in the front.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree. I have 13 mark variants. I had one of my government models threaded.  The guy that did it even made a custom thread protector. It cerakoted. You can’t tell it’s threased until you lol close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top