Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 11:00:39 PM EDT
I enjoy the peanutbutter look of Sig's p320 coyote PVD series. While I know that the color is influenced in part by surface finish (read: media blasted) it seems like most options for this sort of brown PVD finish don't explicitly call out its suitability for firearm parts (mostly things like architectural fixtures).
Does anyone know of a place that offers this?
Club Custom Guns in NC seems like the likeliest source. Does anyone have experience with their services?
http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a lot of research on this towards the end of last year. My primary pistol is an M18 that has a little over 10K rounds through it so far with probably twice that number of draw, holster, and dry fire drills. The result was a slide that had very little finish left. I looked at having it re-coated. Lone Wolf actually does PVD coatings for a reasonable price. However it seems that while inexpensive the PVD finish kind of sucks. It wears very easily. I looked at Ionbond and it seems that it is similar to PVD in that it looks great at first but over time it wears pretty hard. I ended up going with the Cerakote Elite finish, specifically the Federal Standard 20150. It is a brownish orange FDE. The Elite series goes on thinner than the H series. It has a little bit more of a shine to it. So far I have about 1300 rounds through it and a bunch of holster drills and the slide still looks perfect. Moving forward this finish will be going on all my P320 slides.

In one of these photos you can see the Fed Brown next to the factory Coyote PVD slide plate cover. The last photo is the factory PVD wear.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the detailed response and pictures (the slide wear in the last one is a little hard to discern). As a first-gen Legion owner I'm well acquainted with PVD wear - though I understand the coyote is a little more durable than the gray.

I saw that Lone Wolf offers to act as middleman (similar to Springer Precision a few years ago) but trying to gauge quality based on their pictures is difficult and I've seen some of the same reviews I suspect you have. PVD services aren't listed on Lone Wolf's site currently, I wonder why.
I suppose I'm just surprised that kydex will strip the finish as quickly as it does when we're talking about something that seems to hold up in a machining context.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top