Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 5:40:09 AM EDT
I am sending my Gen 5 G17 to Jagerwerks to be milled for a Holosun 507C X2. I've previously had a DPP on an M17 but didn't care for the pistol much and sold it before really getting a feel for the dot. The G17 has an TLR1 HL and non suppressor height Ameriglo I dots.

Any tips or advice? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
JW is very good but prefer battlewerx as they mill lower and now use 4 points of contact also (2 threaded posts + 2 recoil bosses)

Also recommend you mill the new rear sight in front of optic.  Rationale below.

Click To View Spoiler
Other than that - maintain a target focus when drawing and ignore your irons. If you struggle to find the dot, keep practicing and don't take shortcuts.

Ameriglo GL-429 are the irons of choice for optic Glocks.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
One other thing. Check out the Holosun EPS. I haven't got to handle any yet but they are supposed to have a low profile bAse that puts the dot low enough to be able to utilize standard height irons.

I still use RMR type 2 but I'm interested in those new Holosun units to test.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats the same one I have mounted on my G22!

As an old iron sights guy - all I can say is - it takes a little while to get used to. Hope you are having Rear Sight - Behind the Holosun?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
When I made the decision I went with Agency Arms and bought both adapter plates so I could try both iron sight locations.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't give up on it. It takes time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Sit on your couch while you watch TV and practice presenting.  Focus on your target and bring the red dot up into you line of sight to cover your target.  Do not focus on the dot or you will just see your dot bouncing around like you have Parkinson’s disease.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Watch some Sage Dynamic's (Aaron Cowan) & Modern Samurai You Tube videos on acquiring the dot and dot fundamentals.

It takes time to master the dot.  But once you do, you'll probably never want to buy another carry pistol that isn't optic cut.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you pickup the front sight on a pistol with iron sights during your draw and presentation at the moment? Do you have the muzzle pointed slightly up so you can pick up the front sight as you press the pistol out? With this method on a dot gun, you could train yourself to point the muzzle down until the dot is in the window because it will probably always be high. IMO this not effective because your now trying to center a dot in a 1” tall window at arms length and you could’ve been tracking the dot through the window much earlier.

I’ve found it’s much easier to have the muzzle pointed flat or slightly down when your support hand meets the pistol at the chest. It will probably feel awkward and tight on your wrist at that position. As you press the pistol out, your wrist will naturally get in line with your arms and as long as your target focused. Your eyes should pick up the dot before your arms are extended at your natural shooting position and you wont need to point the muzzle down to get the dot in the window.

Since you have a light on your pistol, turn the brightness down and practice in a pitch black location like a closet. Practice your draw/presentation, if you cant see the dot, just activate the pistol light and see where you are off. It may be the dot was just slightly out of the window or you weren’t even looking through the window. This is a great method to build muscle memory because you’ll have no visual reference of where your pistol/RDS is.

Again, these are just my opinion and what helped me while sitting on the couch watching tv. I’ve never taken a class of any sort.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Stipple by Alpha Dog Arms
Mill by JagerWerks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top